Clash of the Titans (2010)

As an artist (I am an equine artist) I have to say it took me a VERY long time to get into anything having to do with art and the computer. Simply because I felt it took away from a person's imagination in some ways as well as reduced the need for tactile artists such as stop motion creators, puppeteers etc... However, if a person can create something virtually it can be just as effective and creative as someone building it with their hands. What won me over was "Toy Story". It opened up a whole other world and while I very much enjoy movies that use stop motion I think that a good artist's work is something to admire no matter what the media. But like any story both parts have to be cohesive. You can have great CGI but without the acting and scripts to support the level of art onscreen you will most certainly have a flop. It has to work together. That is the biggest hurdle. This cast of COTT has the potential to be great. But there are a few actors placed in here that have me scratching my head and in the end you have to become captivated by the characters to carry the story.

Yeah, The Dark Crystal not so much...

In defense of Toy Story, I don't think anyone at Pixar would argue they weren't trying to make it look like a cartoon. They weren't going for the hyper-realism of a Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within or a Beowulf. Look at all of Pixar's movies, and none of them even attempts a true depiction of reality - it's all stylised and cartoony, because it's animation, not CGI. Important difference there.

I saw it as an adult, not a child, and I think that that has much to do with it. But really, that movie was [redacted to prevent being whooped by mod of awesome].

Of course I was. Just keep telling yourself that, DG.

When I think of convincing puppetry, I tend to think of things like Alien and Aliens, or more recently, Jurassic Park. I know they used a bunch of CGI in the latter, but a lot of the close up dinos were animatronic and beautfully executed. (If I was rich, I'd totally buy myself that triceratops, you know, just to have in the backyard.) In fact, most of the CGI was pretty brilliant too, considering it was, what, 1993?

I'm sorry but the original Clash of the Titans had poor stop motion. Jason and the Argonauts was better despite being much older. Besides CGI could be good just please leave out the little armies moving in a simulated wave; it screams, "Hello, computer working here!"

I thought the stop-motion in Jason and the Argonauts was better too, but that might have partly been because at least some of the monsters (the skeletons, and the bronze giant that turned a childhood Christmas into the season of terror) could be expected to move jerklily in reality.

I agree with those who prefer a more physical means of artistry, but I'm not sure if it really does have the extra physical quality I think it does - might be just prejudice against computers, which I associate with work and thus subconsciously loathe.

Well, for me, my lack of enthusiasm for this new Clash Of The Titans has nothing whatsoever to do with CGI or Stop Motion. In fact, they could stitch glass eyes on a pair of socks and use them as hand puppets for all I care.

It's simply that I'm tired of all the remakes - so much so that I rarely buy anything produced by Hollywood nowadays (and If I do, it's usually films from the 30s or 40s) and prefer to look towards other shores for my cinematic entertainment.

I didnt even know there was a old movie of this. I have never heard of it.

But i wont see this new one out of principle, enough with remakes. I'm sick to my stomach about them.

No matter i think Fiennes,Neeson are the finest actors of their generation.

As I expected this was a mostly joyless experience with tons of boring speech-making and leftover models from LoTR and Pan's Labyrinth. They could have called it Conference of The Titans. Last 20 min gets significantly better though, with a pretty good stakeout sequence in Medusa's Lair, and some parts of the Kraken attack scene show you the tantalizing potential of a big-budget Cthulhu movie before they bring up the stupid growling ape-head.
In an ideal world they would re-release Harryhausen's Jason & The Argonauts as a big-screen experience.

In an ideal world they would re-release Harryhausen's Jason & The Argonauts as a big-screen experience.

It has been done, more than once. I had the delightful privilege of seeing it that way many, many years ago. (I also saw Seventh Voyage on the big screen as well... wonderful experience....)

I admit that I expected this to bomb at the cinema. I saw the 1981 version at the cinema and that didn't make much money, but apparently this version is doing very well. The BBC Breakfast News just ran an item with a historian commenting on films such as this and Troy and Alexander and making a direct link to the recent increase in the number of students wanting to study Classics, ancient history and languages.

Then heaven help the study of Classics if this is what really enthuses many of its students.

I've only seen the original Clash of the Titans on TV and wasn't that impressed. I do remember being terrified** when seeing Jason and the Argonauts at the cinema. I was probably only about seven when I saw it (unless the film was delayed in the UK or was being reshown).

** - More terrified of Talos than, say, the skeletons. (The skeletons were merely swordsmen who were difficult to kill (again) and in the stories I'd read, they were easily defeated.) The lair of the hydra was really spooky, though.

Yea, Talos was awesome, and especially in his case the stop-motion was adding to the character.
@JD: I'm super-jealous. Oh well, the 50" TV will have to do.

Hearing some of the praise in this thread for movies I thought were awful when I saw them makes me think that given enough time anything becomes a classic.

I was exceedingly disappointed in the original "Clash of the Titans," which I saw when it first came out, (my husband and I have always called it "Crash of the Titans," a nickname bestowed with no affection at all).

My daughter, who apparently has no memory of seeing it when she was a little girl, though I seem to remember that we took our two oldest with us, saw the remake and said it was enjoyable.

I am not tempted even the slightest bit to see it and find out.

Hearing some of the praise in this thread for movies I thought were awful when I saw them makes me think that given enough time anything becomes a classic.

I get that feeling, too...

I'll check this out, but I'm not going to pay to see it at the cinemas. Especially not if it's only 3D.