Lord Dunsany

I finished "King of Elfland's Daughter" last night and, as expected was completely wow'ed by it! Honestly, I didn't want it to end but, I felt that taking it in in small doses was better than reading 50 page chunks. It's the sort of book that almost beckons you to make yourself comfortable, forget everything else in your life that might be on your mind, no matter if it's good or bad, and basically, just surrender yourself to.

Dunsany's descriptive prose I consider, at this point in my rediscovery of fantasy and sf is second to none. Example, without quoting it verbatim, there was a passage about the ebbing of elfland from the "fields we know" (earth) that was achingly beautiful in it's ability for my mind to visualize as well as igniting emotions. The sense of loss and sadness it conveyed was uncanny. Dunsany talks about ancient happy memories strewn on the desolate wasteland of what used to be elfland in the form of old toys left abandoned that once brought joy to a child, and will always be fondly remembered. The writing here (as in the whole book) was so precise and crystal clear that I actually had to stop, think about it, feel it, and re-read it again.

And this happens many, many times throughout the course of the book. The descriptions of elfland, of the hunts, of "the fields we know" of earth, the seasons, the characters themselves are all brought to vivid life, usually by just using a few very well placed words and punctuation. The simple plot, that in the hands of a lesser writer would fall flat, moved along smoothly...right up to it's inevitable (and actually somewhat sad) conclusion.

Reading this book was a pleasure from start to finish and won't be forgotten anytime soon! In fact, it will probably get a second read sooner rather than later.

I'm thinking about reading "The Charwoman's Shadow" as my next Dunsany, but first I'm probably going to delve into Algernon Blackwoods "Incredible Adventures"

I was going to suggest The Charwoman's Shadow, as it is rather related to The Chronicles of Shadow Valley. You might also look up his The Blessings of Pan and The Curse of the Wise Woman. For that matter, several of his plays are well worth reading as well....

I was going to suggest The Charwoman's Shadow, as it is rather related to The Chronicles of Shadow Valley. You might also look up his The Blessings of Pan and The Curse of the Wise Woman. For that matter, several of his plays are well worth reading as well....

I have read a couple plays a day the last few weeks and i look forward to tasting Lord Dunsany plays on my free time. How his wonderful writing in plays,dialouge heavy writing. I hope he is stylised in his plays too.

OK, guys, you got me and I will be starting on The King of Elfland's Daughter forthwith.
The Divis Flats tale swung it for me. If ever a place needed escapism it was Northern Ireland in the 1970s.

Hello, I am also a newbie to the forum.

I am just now finishing up Gormenghast, and was about to start A Song of Ice and Fire series when I decided to pick up King of Elfland's Daughter.

Peake and Dunsany were recommended in a book I read about popular books of the 1960s. There is a chapter about Lovecraft and Tolkien, and the author mentions others that were big at the time. I used this as a reading list for fantasy recently, and thought KoED would be a good start. I am assuming I did right!

Welcome to the forums. :)

Yes, King of Elfland's Daughter is a good place to start with Dunsany. Either that or with some of his short stories...

Gregorian71, allow me to suggest Dover's affordable Wonder Tales, which collects two books of short-stories by Lord Dunsany. It was my introduction to him and I haven't stopped reading him since then.

I concur on the Dover Edition of "Wonder Tales" and, while I don't believe it matters in what order you read his early short stories, I read them in rough chronological order which is, by memory:

"Gods of Pegana"

"Time and the Gods"

"The Sword of Welleran and other Stories"

"A Dreamers Tales"

"Wonder Tales" (actually encompassing two books..."The Book of Wonder" and "Tales of Wonder")

"Tales of Three Hemispheres"

"Fifty-One Tales"

If you want to make it easy on yourself and collect a huge chunk of Dunsany, definitely pick up "Time and the Gods" (confusing, I know as it's the same title as the collection of short stories) which is a Fantasy Masterworks edition collecting everything except "Fifty-One Tales" and "Tales of Three Hemispheres".

Regardless, all of these short story collections are worth having in one form or another.

I'm periodically working my way though his novels now, having read "Don Rodriguez: Chronicles of Shadow Valley" and "The King of Elflands Daughter". Both of these are beyond splendid!!

Thanks everyone!

I will certainly pick these up. I just finished Gormenghast, and will start on King Of Elfland's Daughter as soon as I finish Game of Thrones. It is moving quicker than Peake's novel by far so that shouldn't take long at all.

I want to get the Time and the Gods omnibus which is part of the Fantasy Masterworks collection.

I've been wanting to check out Dunsany for months ever since discovering that Jack Vance was fond of him.

I want to get the Time and the Gods omnibus which is part of the Fantasy Masterworks collection.

I've been wanting to check out Dunsany for months ever since discovering that Jack Vance was fond of him.

Vance fans will adore Lord Dunsany they are both fine examples of literary strong fantasy.

They are nr.1 and nr.2 in my fav writers list.

Time and Gods have his best short story collections. Start with Book of Wonder,Dreamer's Tales collections.

Happened across an old 1940 copy of 'The Story of Mona Sheehy' this week; hopefully I'll get a chance to read it in the near future. Glancing at the first page, I noticed that it has the most wonderful yet sinister opening - two aged Catholic priests discussing a young girl thus:

'I never saw a more mortal child.'
'You are right. She is earthly.'

I've just finished "Don Rodriguez: Chronicles Of Shadow Valley".

1958975.jpg

Well it would seem that the great Lord Dunsany was not infallible. I've loved every other book I've read by him and came to this one with accordingly high expectations and for the first time, he has not lived up to them.

In this story we follow Don Rodriquez after he inherits no more than a rapier and a mandolin from his lordly father and sets out on a quest to win himself a castle (with his rapier) and a lover (with his mandolin).

The problem for me was that the story just wasn't very interesting, the protagonist often impossibly dense and "surprise" plot developments not very surprising. All this probably wouldn't have mattered so much if I had found Dunsany's writing as engaging as I usually do but unfortunately it was not the case. Many of the passages I found long and laborious and frequently found my attention wandering. There were still flashes of Dunsany's brilliance, an occaisional turn of phrase that made me chuckle or left me in awe of its beauty.

Other quirky aspects were frequent, inexplicable and entirely unnecessary remarks of the narrator directed straight at the reader. Some of the dialogue of the characters left me feeling a little uncomfortable from a politically correct stand point (and believe me, I'm usually quite tolerant of this sort of thing in older authors).

Overall I would say that while this story still holds some of that Dunsany magic, I would not recommend it to anyone other than die-hard fans.

Not so sure I'd limit it to the die-hard fans, but I would agree that it falls short of much of his other work. I found more to like in it than you did, apparently, but I would nonetheless say it is a lesser work in comparison to, say, his early short story collections, The King of Elfland's Daughter, or even The Curse of the Wise Woman (which makes good use of its Irish setting)....

Frankly its refreshing to know that there is a novel of his that is seen as a lesser work. The writing in his best short stories collections and The King of Elfland's Daughter almost blind me with their brilliance, beauty. I enjoy the greatest work of my best authors even more when i have read their less works. You can see clearly what he/she does at their best.

I realise my review sounds overly negative. It is only because my expectations were so high. It's not as bad as, perhaps, I make it sound.

I've just finished "Don Rodriguez: Chronicles Of Shadow Valley". Well it would seem that the great Lord Dunsany was not infallible. I've loved every other book I've read by him and came to this one with accordingly high expectations and for the first time, he has not lived up to them.

My memory is that, of the three Dunsany novels issued by Ballantine's fantasy series (Rodriguez, King of Elfland's Daughter, and The Charwoman's Shadow), I liked the last-named most... though it is many, many years since I read any of them. Does anyone else rate Charwoman's Shadow so highly?

dunsany-charbig.PNG

As with you, it has been many years since I read it, but I don't think I'd rate it quite as highly... probably The King of Elfland's Daughter somewhat higher; but still I would say it is better than its predecessor (Don Rodriguez), and well worth seeking out....

As with you, it has been many years since I read it, but I don't think I'd rate it quite as highly... probably The King of Elfland's Daughter somewhat higher; but still I would say it is better than its predecessor (Don Rodriguez), and well worth seeking out....

I think I will turn to The King of Elfland's Daughter after The Worm Ouroboros. Reading either of these again, so many years after the last reading, should be an interesting experience.