Looking for the 2 titles or authors

jmarachan

Hi, I've been searching and racking my brain for the title and author of a book I read about 20 years ago. I thought it might have been a Ben Bova book but none of the synopsis of his works rings a bell. All I can recall of the plot is a man who wakes up in the future (maybe). In the beginning chapter he's fishing and comes across a mutant (3-eyed fish). There's a (redhead-maybe) woman who's perfume reminds him of someone from his past. People in this future live forever but they stay forever aged and have to have a lot of care. The woman was one of the caretakers. There's a secret to why people can live forever but I don't remember what it was.

The second book I'm looking for is a young adult book where a girl moves with her father to this odd little town. Everyone there except her and her father have eyes without pupils. At the end her father chooses to leave with them in their spaceship and she's sent to live with her aunt who has the same strange eyes.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I don't think I'm right about the first one but your description is reminding me of THE FUTUROLOGICAL CONGRESS by Stanislaw Lem, not usre it involved caretakers at all. Just a shot in the dark.

Thank you for replying to my post. The synopsis doesn't ring a bell but the one for Return From the Stars by the same author sounds closer. I'm going to see if I can find a copy. Thanks!:)