Towers of Midnight (CAUTION! Contains Spoilers!)

Zoboomafoo

So the name of the next volume has been released. "Towers of Midnight" any thoughts? like? dislike? I definitely like it more than "The Gathering Storm" which was too generic. Anyways what I'm really happy about is "A Memory of Light" will now be the title for the last volume, which I think is probably the best title Jordan ever came up with.

I quite like the title, myself. I'm looking forward to whether it refers to the Black and White Towers, or something else.

I think it has something to do with the Seanchan actually...but we'll see! I kinda hope it has something to do with where Moiraine is being held

I hadn't thought of that - it could well be the Tower of Ghenjei. I'd like to see that storyline resolved, too.

I was thinking it could refer to the Tower of Ghenjei. ***could be spoilers from The Gathering Storm.***

I think it is time for Moiraine's rescue. Mat is going to be stuck in Caemlyn for 30 days ....depends which option he chooses. But suspect that will be his next task.

The 4 remaining bloodknives left in the White tower, they can make a massive impact. Egwane has a lot of work to do to get the White tower repared.

The Black Tower wasn't mentioned much in TGS....but from what was going on in Rand's head he knows he needs the white and black tower to work together to beat the dark one. But Mazrim has his own agenda...and we didn't hear of Logain either

There wasn't anything in the last book about Elaine and her babies. As for Morgase' rescue from the Sevanna. Tam mentioned that the Queen had been rescued, so he recognised who she was...so he would of informed Perrin.

Additionally there is Aviendha going to Rhuidean, she will come back with a lot more confidence, as an equal Wise One.

Plus Lan....he is riding across the Borderlands....and suspect that his story should come into the next book.

I was thinking it could refer to the Tower of Ghenjei. ***could be spoilers from The Gathering Storm.***

I think it is time for Moiraine's rescue. Mat is going to be stuck in Caemlyn for 30 days ....depends which option he chooses. But suspect that will be his next task.

The 4 remaining bloodknives left in the White tower, they can make a massive impact. Egwane has a lot of work to do to get the White tower repared.

The Black Tower wasn't mentioned much in TGS....but from what was going on in Rand's head he knows he needs the white and black tower to work together to beat the dark one. But Mazrim has his own agenda...and we didn't hear of Logain either

There wasn't anything in the last book about Elaine and her babies. As for Morgase' rescue from the Sevanna. Tam mentioned that the Queen had been rescued, so he recognised who she was...so he would of informed Perrin.

Additionally there is Aviendha going to Rhuidean, she will come back with a lot more confidence, as an equal Wise One.

Plus Lan....he is riding across the Borderlands....and suspect that his story should come into the next book.

Do we know there are four remaining bloodknives in the White Tower? I don't think that was clear. They may have been killed in the battle, but not written about.

The Towers of Midnight are a complex of thirteen towers located outside the city of Imfaral on the northern landmass of the Seanchan continent. It was Luthair's HQ early during the war, before he captured Seandar, and it was where the first a'dam were mass-produced and damane trained.

My guess is that Sanderson picked the title because of the association with the Seanchan and because the Towers could also be spun to mean the Black Tower and the Tower of Ghenjei, or maybe the White Tower or maybe some other reference.

Assuming vol. 14 will be focused on the battle with Shayol Ghul, the Seanchan question must be settled in vol. 13. Therefore, it makes sense that the sea is crossed. It is also a likely place for Moiraine to be held, by an a'dam no less.

I'm getting way too impatient, I can't wait to read it! Anyone know if there's a definite UK release date yet?

My understanding is that the last three books (originally one book, then two, now three) are to be released one year apart. So Towers of Midnight is to be released at the end of October (in time for the Christmas rush) 2010, and vol. 14, A Memory of Light (great title), will be released at the end of October 2011.

Sanderson is a serious workaholic, so even with his own solo stuff on the go, it is expected that these will both be on time. A lot of the manuscript was already completed, as the decision was made early in 2009 to split the book in two, and then into three.

I just finished reading the book and only one Bloodknife was killed in battle by Gareth Bryne. However if Siuan Sanche hadn't been there, Gareth would be dead - and thus another one of Min's visions was fulfilled.

Can't wait for Towers of Midnight!!

Well, I've nearly finished my reread of the series, and after reading the preview chapter on Brandon Sanderson's website, I must say I'm really looking forward to Towers of Midnight now. Roll on November!

Preview chapter?
Thanks for that bit of info, Taly.
I'm going to check that out straight away.

I saw the trailer a week or so ago, but it's still good to see it again.:) I know it reprises Moiraine's letter, but it doesn't give away much - only that her situation will be addressed in ToM. Looking forward to it!

I liked those two previews.
Thanks for posting, Taly.
I still think Mat's character is a little off.
A bit too much on the blood and bloody
ashes, think. And he'd always been a
womanizer, but I don't remember that
seeming so prominent before.

I agree with C Of K, Mat is still not quite right, but I don't know what I would do to change him. Otherwise, the previews were really good. The book will be annoying if Sanderson can't "get" Mat's proper voice.

Well, the second chapter - Questions of Leadership - has been released in audio form on Tor's website. You have to be a member to download it, though. I read the transcription on Dragonmount, and I enjoyed it. Without giving too much away, half is a Perrin chapter, and the other half is from Galad's POV.