DDoS attack downtime

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Brian Turner, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

Terribly sorry for the chrons being unavailable over the past few hours, and also for a couple of hours early morning.

The server is being targeted by a DDoS attack - no idea why - but it's completely frustrating because there is little that can normally be done when this sort of thing happens.

However, I do know a server provider who has a strong reputation in tackling DDoS attacks, so what I'm looking to set up on a new server with them.

The result is that there may yet be further disruption due to the DDoS attacks through the end of this week, but I'm sincerely hoping to get a server move in place at the weekend in order to provide a more stable and secure environment, and reduce the likelihood of this happening again.

Again, my apologies for the downtime, but I am working on a solution.
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Freda leaves Brian some pringles to keep him going.
    Interference

Interference Destroyer of Words

I figured you were beetling away behind the scenes. God bless you, Brian, we're in your debt - and the withdrawal symptoms weren't too terribly severe this time ....
    Overread

Overread Direwolf of the chrons

Good luck with setting things up Brian - here's to hoping that it all transfers over smooth without a massive headache for you!
    Brian Turner

I'm always behind the scenes. :)

Trouble is, I'm too busy working to really get into posting general topics, so I long in here as frequently as possible, make sure everything is running fine, make database backups, and make a few tweaks here and there.
    Karn Maeshalanadae

Karn Maeshalanadae Why?

A good man behind the scenes, Chrons has.

But sometimes it might be best to take a break on slow days....hell, Brian, take a day every once in a while.
    Brian Turner

Tried to keep chrons online last night but the attack was too large and spread out.

However, I've ordered another server with a company that offers DDoS protection, and hoping can get a move in later today. Expect chrons to be somewhat disrupted a) from any further DDoS attacks today, and then from a temporary shut down while I get chrons moved to the new server.

After that - all should hopefully be lovely-dovely. Certainly costing it!
    Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Fides, Spero Fidelitasque

Appreciate your efforts Brian, as always.

I'm sure anyone whose been a member for a time will know and automatically come to the conclusion that if there is a problem with the Chrons you'll be doing your best to rectify it. What more can we ask! Thank you :D
    chopper

chopper still alive

ditto. always much appreciated.

death to spammers!
    Rodders

Rodders |-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

Forgive my ignorance. What's DDos?

Glad the Chrons are back up. I was starting to fret.
    Talysia

Talysia Lady of Autumn

TheEndIsNigh

TheEndIsNigh ...Prepare Thyself

I also appreciate your efforts Brian.

Is there any way we can help?

Perhaps if we downloaded the telephone directory at them or something.
    Tillane

Tillane Left-minded

Many thanks for all your hard work, Brian. If you find out who's been attacking Chrons and need someone to wield a bat (or shillelagh, or indeed any blunt instrument), I always available.:D
    Professor 0110

Professor 0110 The Writer of Fantasy

What was the approximate size of the Botnet targeting The Chrons, Brian?

If it is a botnet launching a SYN Flood, you should be able to implement a countermeasure known as SYN Cookies, which in effect render the DoS attack useless. (It won't help though if the entire uplink is overwhelmed).

Also, while you wait to move to DDOS protected hosting, a good firewall with appropriate rules should also help.

You probably already know this, though. :cool:
    Interference

Interference Destroyer of Words

Wherever you learned all that, Prof, it was probably Brian who taught them :D

Sorry ... I'll get back in me box, now ... :eek:
    Nikitta

Nikitta Silly Person

Seconded or thirded or whatever number it is now. Brians work to keep this forum running is much appreciated.

This is pretty much the only place I can talk to people who at least know of the books that I like and I don't know what I'd do without it.
    Brian Turner

Ok, still being hit but hopefully the impact on chrons is being minimised - for the time being.

I'm currently looking to move the server either later tonight, or early Saturday if I can - going to be a big deal, but am hoping everything can be moved smoothly.

Even if all goes well, will probably have to shut down chrons for a couple of hours just to be safe, while all the data is transferred to the new server and datacenter, and allow for DNS changes, so as not to leave people with missing posts.

However, once all done, and all working fine (fingers crossed), we should be on a solid, beefy, and very protected server.
    Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

Good luck with that, Brian.

We'll all have our fingers crossed (which ought to reduce the speed at which we can deliver legitimate traffic to the site: every little helps :) ).
    Vladd67

Vladd67 Stake Holder

Hope it works out fine I'm sure we all appreciate your hard work in keeping this place running, we would be lost without it.
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

Brian, I expect you've also checked that this new company will also actually back-up the database as frequently they say they will? ;)

I don't think anyone is really aware of what you do to keep this place running,

thanks!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.