Gendry--speculation

Eulalia

Not a cliffhanger, I know, but what do you think of this Gendry character? Do you think he's done, or is there a larger role? He's a smith, a buddy of Arya's, and a stealth Baratheon, so far.

I hope for his sake he stays a stealth Baratheon or else he will find out what Lanisters do to Baratheons :) or what Baratheons do to Baratheons... Oh second thought I hope he doesn't oh how I loath the stag.

I think the importance of RObert's oldest male heir can't be underestimated. The Lannisters certainly were thinking about this when they sent men after him after he was taken from King's Landing by Yoren. I think he still has a part to play in the story.

He so has more to his tale, maybe he and Arya or Sasnsa end up together, maybe Melisandre gets her hands on him and uses his blood for the dragons :) maybe he meets up with Jon eventually or maybe he ends up deaded :D

He seems to crop up in the thick of it and meet a lot of key players, I think Martin has more in store for him.

Alternatively, he may just live a boring and peaceful life as a smithy in small hamlet

Gendry being the eldest male may become important.
He probably will as well. But i hope that is not the case.
I liked Gendry at first, but as the series progressed Gendry became more and more dislike-able (is that a word?). Especially his treatment of brienne is below par.

I agree, Kiwi. In addition to Yoren and Lommy, Gendry has seen his Brotherhood friends suffer and die at the hands of the Lions and the Towers. He's lost his innocence... I suspect he's killed in battle and not just stayed at his smithy.

Now what will the Brotherhood do when they discover Robert's son in their midst? Their original mission was to continue to do King Robert's justice. Can you imagine Thoros crowning Gendry? Could you picture King Gendry haunting the forests of the Riverlands? He could terrorize the Lannisters and Freys for years, until he meets his death at the hands of Ser Edric Storm... or Ser Podrick Payne.

After the mayhem so far, anything short of exploding heads is less exciting.

Since he has hooked up with the brotherhood maybe he will end up being AA since he is a smith he might make himself the famous sword and thrust it through someones heart.. Highly unlikely but it would be a pretty wow kind of moment.

I dont actually think Gendry will be AA was just something crazy to throw out there. It wouldn't surprise me a great deal to find out that AA isn't overly important at all though and is a failed prophecy or something that we don't find out, there is no reason he HAS to be in the series at all, I'd rather like it that way, his story is kinda crappy if you ask me.

'Kay. Stupid question, because I have not completed any re-reads recently. What is "AA"? (Aside from the obvious mutual support group for alcoholics.)

Hah not stupid at all Clans. There are so many different shorthand ways of refering to things in ASOIAF I often have to take my time and think what the hell those random bunch of letters mean when people refer to things.
AA refers to Azor Azhai, the guy who forged the sword lightbringer.

...which given what Mel gives birth to might be more than a bit disturbing for poor Jon.