Synopses that work

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
We all know where to go to find examples of writing that succeeded in getting an agent's or publisher's interest - the bookshop. But where can we find examples of synopses that did the same? They're read by the agent and never seen again, so even though we get loads of advice on the arcane art of synopsis-writing from published authors, we never see examples to aspire to.

So, I thought it might be a good idea if any published authors on these boards, who want to, would "donate" a synopsis that proved itself, and post it in this thread.

Mechanical Hamster

Examples from Gav Thorpe. Part way down in the thin column to the right you'll find examples of three synopsis(...es?). All three were made into full novels, so they can't be too bad.

Great idea Harebrain! Problem I'm finding is that there no one-size-fits-all (not that this pheneomena ever did exist). I waded through the Hamster stuff, but that just doesn't interest me and I never actually got to find where the synopsis actually was (sorry Sapheron - and yes, the plural of synopsis is synopses). It's difficult to pick out the good stuff when the subject matter is something which doesn't interest you ... it's a bit obvious, really, how can you see how something has worked when it just isn't convincing you to read the book because you're not into that type of book?

I for one, will welcome anything to help me get a feel for what it actually wanted from a synopsis.

Well, this one (along with sample chapters) got requests for a full manuscript. I would add it got rejected even at that stage by four aqents. 373 words in total

"In an ancient and mystical world, visions of possible futures can only be seen by a Glimpser. A Glimpser is not born, but made, by the warped pseudo-scientific actions of a religious sect, the Inner Ring. This sect is bent on bringing about the return of the Goddess’ prophet, the Seer, to lead them into an era of secular power. Oracle is one such Glimpser, an autistic Cassandra.

The maelstrom that exists in Oracle’s mind is mirrored in its world, for Timeholm is in the grip of an industrial revolution. Steam power is now king; trains criss-cross the land, huge smoking factories tower over once sleepy towns. The governing body, the High Forum, is under attack from within by reform-minded activists. The rigid class system, once the glue that held Timeholm society together, is being challenged by a bill brought forth before the legislature that will empower the bond contract workers who supply the fuel of the new industrial progress.

Oracle’s arrival at a train station sets in motion a series of events that plunge Captain Pugh Avinguard into the heart of these turbulent times. Pugh has been charged with the protection of Joshua Calvinward. Train crashes, riots, terrorist shootings, and Calvinward's life being taken by unknown hands the day after his moment of triumph on the floor of the High Forum, all inch Timeholm closer to a possible civil war between its classes.

Laced through this is Pugh’s personal horror, for the person Oracle once was, was his wife, who by a twist of fate is partly restored to him, yet in the wings the Inner Ring are waiting to claim her. Pugh is forced to act when she is kidnapped, The siege of the building to rescue her takes place during a warped ceremony to complete, in the Inner Ring’s eyes, Oracle’s complete conversion into the re-born Seer. But in the chaos that ensues, Oracle becomes for a small time the avatar of the Goddess, herself, destroying the Inner Ring and removing its hold on both religion and state. Together, Pugh and Oracle live to see the implementation of the law that Calvinward worked to bring into existence, and for now the spectre of civil war is halted."

Miss Snark ran a query letter contest - can't remember if she ran a synopsis contest as well, but everyone should read her blog from end to end before starting submissions.

Miss Snark, the literary agent