Greatest author of all times

LaMattie

I know it's a very hard question, but who is for you the greatest author of all times???
You can name only one writer, despite how hard it might seem to determine which one it would be, since there are so many different authors that write different kinds of stuff... but you can only choose one.

For me it'd have to be Alexandre Dumas (père). The Count of Monte Cristo, even though I've only ever read it in translation, is my absolute favourite story.

The rest of his work is generally excellent, and remains popular worldwide. He set out to write engaging, adventurous stories that would captivate his audiences, and succeeded marvellously.

That's a very hard question, few folk have a single standout. However, I'll give it a pop... and I'll add my two runners up (who might switch places on any given day).

THE WINNER: Shakespeare
First runner up: Dostoyevsky
Second runner up: Stephen King

Can it at least be "greatest novelist" of all time? And what are the criteria? Most influential? Most creative? Most skilled with language? Most enjoyable to read? Most profound?

How much does the medium affect the choice?

Greatest illusionist in prose would be Leo Tolstoy for me.... even in translation, there are scenes he writes where the words fall away and you are in the scene... tremendous skill at that. Dickens is right up there.

Most influential and most skilled with language: Shakespeare. Most skilled writers have a vocabulary of about 5000 words. Shakespeare's was 23,000. Many words were coined by him at a time when the English dictionary was yet to be formed. Just an awesome force of linguistic genius. Joyce is right up there too. Scary gift for language.

Most profound? Tricky, because most people will come to this with preconceptions and established values. One person's profound is the next person's shallow...

Most enjoyable to read? Whole different kettle of fish. Depends on my mood and the moment...

I think the criteria would have to be very much narrowed down before even a tentative answer couple be suggested.

(And it would still be wrong.)

I fear it really is a nonsensical question, very much like asking "what is the best color" (without any more context than that) or "what was the best year in human history"....

You might well be able to narrow it to "who are some of the greatest writers of all time" -- but a single figure... no.

I forgot Cervantes. Another great one. But I wish, as Big Bear said, that the question could be narrowed down.... here's one that's perhaps more of interest, given the current forum...

Who is the most enjoyable science fiction writer ever?

Who is the most mind-blowing, creative science fiction writer ever?

I forgot Cervantes. Another great one. But I wish, as Big Bear said, that the question could be narrowed down.... here's one that's perhaps more of interest, given the current forum...

Who is the most enjoyable science fiction writer ever?

Who is the most mind-blowing, creative science fiction writer ever?

Even there, you're going to have far too many to choose from, even with a rather strict definition of what is or isn't sf....

It's a bit too early to judge yet.:)

We should have the definitive list soon though, then we can have a proper sort out.

Last edited:
It's a bit too early to judge yet.:)

We should have the definitive list soon though, then we can have a proper sort out.

LOL. How about the question: If you we're stranded on a desert island and could have the works of only one author with you, who would it be? That, or course, gives an edge to authors who were prolific, unless you planned on a short life span or your island only had a few coconuts and one jug of water.... :D

Speaking as a former lit major, I might actually have to put George RR Martin in the running up against Dostoevsky and the like. He's writing a huge story with an unbelievable cast of characters, great dialogue, compelling plot twists... he really has amazing command as an author!

The greatest author? Why, The Father of Fantasy himself, J. R. R. Tolkien. Who could be more important for us to worship than The Father?

*Cough*...Not that I've read any of his books yet...

Muhammad Ali. No, wait. He was just "the greatest of all time".

Never mind.

Stephen King (he has a way of being in the same room as you and talking to you directly) in my opinion is the best of modern day, but from the past I cannot say, I never read Dickens (I read Great Expectations in school, is that Dickens?), I read Shakespeare in school so could not appreciate it even though he basically did invent story telling in a sense. I read Lord of the Flies and thought that was good but that was one book. Maybe GRRM is up there as well, I like his fluid style.

Back