Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Well I really quite enjoyed Nightmare Before Christmas. I can't say much about his other productions as I haven't gotten around to seeing them yet; perhaps they're more what you are referring to?
I hated what he did with Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, and was not overly thrilled with Sweeney Todd either. His older stuff has its merits but by and large I see him as someone who has descended into being a grotesque caricature of himself.

I'm already sold on this film, Stephen Fry as the Chesire Cat is a winning formula in my book. Bonham-Carter, from what I've seen of the clips, will be enthralling as the Queen of Hearts.

Hell, even Anne Hathaway's White Queen carries subtley disturbing undertones. Can't wait to see it.

I hated what he did with Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, and was not overly thrilled with Sweeney Todd either. His older stuff has its merits but by and large I see him as someone who has descended into being a grotesque caricature of himself.
Well I thought Chocolate Factory was fairly crap, Sweeneyy Todd never appealed w.r.t trailers/promos so never went to see but I still liked Nightmare Before Christmas. Perhaps I'll stick to that one memory and move on to other pastures, it may serve me well enough by the sounds of it...:)

I uh... honestly think Carroll is too much for Burton to handle. Really, he should aim low and keep going with movies like NBC or Corpse Bride. In that department, he's excellent. Little girls here are still buying purses with the skeleton's face on 'em.

I uh... honestly think Carroll is too much for Burton to handle. Really, he should aim low and keep going with movies like NBC or Corpse Bride. In that department, he's excellent. Little girls here are still buying purses with the skeleton's face on 'em.

My 12 year old granddaughter's favorite sweatshirt features Jack Skellington. She & her Dad, my younger son, are on their way to Hollywood right now to see Alice In Wonderland on one of the big screens in town. I'll see if she adds to her wardrobe as a result.

I can easily see the grinning Cheshire Cat filling Skellington's spot. I can bet I'll see something around soon.

*ahem* I think I should stop with the vitriol. Actually, I liked Edward Scissorhands when I was 15.

I thought Corpse Bride,Sweeney Todd was wonderful,different films. A good antitode against the cliche infested hollywood films of today.

I will see this because its Burton,Depp, i dont care which classic story he is using for his films.

A big thumbs down from me, I'm afraid. It wasn't Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. It wasn't even a combination of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Alice through the Looking Glass but a completely different story about a grown-up Alice. It seems Tim Burton never liked the book, so he discarded most of it. Parts of it were actually cringe-worthy. I'd say it was the largest waste of talent I've ever seen. The latter half of the film becomes a cgi battle against the Jabberwocky creature, similar to any number of recent films, including all the Shrek films. And turning Alice into a "colonialist entrepreneur" at the end of the film is weird even for Burton.

A big thumbs down from me, I'm afraid. It wasn't Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. It wasn't even a combination of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Alice through the Looking Glass but a completely different story about a grown-up Alice. It seems Tim Burton never liked the book, so he discarded most of it. Parts of it were actually cringe-worthy. I'd say it was the largest waste of talent I've ever seen. The latter half of the film becomes a cgi battle against the Jabberwocky creature, similar to any number of recent films, including all the Shrek films. And turning Alice into a "colonialist entrepreneur" at the end of the film is weird even for Burton.

My granddaughter actually liked it, but, for myself, I agree with you.

Just watched today, boring, boring, boring, even Johnny Depp didn't save the show.

Honestly the whole story quite boring...but I like to see Anne Hathaway as the White Queen...her kind-heart and emotional character made me love the movie.

I didn't see it at the theater, but I did watch it on TV. Watch being the operative word. I found parts of it amazing to look at, so as long as I concentrated on that aspect and ignored the whole matter of the script I rather enjoyed it.

That's something I'm learning to do more and more, when it comes to movies based on beloved books. Just look at the nice sets and costumes, at the actors if they are attractive or interesting to look at, and ignore what everyone says.

I've just finished my first viewing of this film (and a rather hesitant one at that, due to the incredible amount of bad press it received).
I don't see the problem with it at all - I loved the books and adored the original Disney, so it was nice to see Burton taking it a bit further. It's got his initials stamped all over it. An insanely pale female lead, childishly beautiful (so very cartoony), a script set appropriately for the 18th/19th Century, overly cheesy and visually gorgeous.
At least he didn't do a Spielberg and disrespectfully **** all over a classic.

Edit --> As a newbie, I've fund out I can't say ****. See? I'm not punching anyone, the stars are just hiding my vulgarity. ..Think poo.