The Short Story Thread

Ron Goulart's Fear of Succes in F&SF
any ss that contains the phrase "It was then that he dedided on suicide as the only way to end this terrible streak of good fortune" has got my attention
VS ,I think Baldwin was also gay.
He must have experienced some fierce prejudices.
BTW,just my personal opinion ,but:almost any story form F&SF under KKrush's editorship is worth your while

I mean,i have an issue with BOTH clive Barker and Lucius Shepard:)
Love your taste in reading,BTW

Reread Lafferty's Hog Belly Honey
He could write a bit

I seem to recall stumbling upon a Lafferty appreciation site,will check it out again

Last edited:
A month or so ago I finished Theodora Goss' In the Forests of Forgetting but didn't have a chance to write up brief summaries until now.

"The Rose in Twelve Petals":
Sleeping Beauty retold, merging in the history and myth of Great Britain, and contrasting the beauty of myth against the drabness of quotidian life. Beautifully written and well-considered.

"Professor Berkowitz Stands on the Threshold":
Professor Berkowitz's ability to identify and appreciate the oddness of the perspective in the short, small body of work by a long gone writer earns him a chance to see the numinous, to experience the fantastic. But there is a condition.

The Rapid Advance of Sorrow:
“Sorrow: A feeling of grief or melancholy,” the narrator writes. It is also a place and its art seeps into the surrounding world, a cold art, an invasion of sorts, affecting the narrator and his love as the snows come. This would be interesting reading alongside some of the stories from Mark Samuels’ The Man Who Collected Machen.

"Lily, with Clouds":
Eleanor strides through her town with a sense of ownership and sure knowledge of what is right and appropriate. Her sister, Lily, long away in the city, has returned to die accompanied by her caretaker and lover, Sarah. Eleanor is a bit scandalized, but there is something different about Lily, who had never been in step with Eleanor or the rest of their family, and something haunting in the pictures Lily’s late husband painted of her.

"In the Forest of Forgetting":
A woman wearing a white, backless sheath enters a forest and meets a witch who removes her "lumps." Afterward the woman into flees the forest, where she meets more people who offer her different names, none of which quite suit her. More allegorical than other stories, this seems to be about a cancer victim. My least favorite story, but the writing is still beautiful and the title is evocative.

"Sleeping with Bears":
A young woman's sister is married to a very charming bear with a good social standing. But why a bear? Something about this made me think of John Collier, and like Collier as whimsical and light as the description sounds the story proceeds with ruthless logic and ends with insight.

"Letters from Budapest":
If the State does not support your expression, your expression will be suppressed; if you persist, the State may raise the price. But what if you persist underground? The cost is not always money. The price of art may be more personal than money.

A Statement in the Case:
Someone has to care for the old ways.

Death Comes for Ervina:
Memories and expectations, some met and some not, flood Ervina when her friend and former lover, Victor Boyd, visits.

The Belt :
One possible post-script to, “They lived happily ever after.”

Phalaenopsis:
John’s journey, guided by an orchid and bolstered by the faith of Brother Martin.

"Pip and the Fairies":
This one starts from a premise similar to one strand of narrative in Gone Girl as we follow a young woman well-known as the model of a character in a series of children's books. But this young woman has lost her mother and the loss rekindles her desire for the fantasy world she remembers, the one her mother based her books on.

Conrad:
A young boy in big house, sick and under the care of his Aunt Susan and her very good friend, Dr.Stanton. He is convinced his aunt wants him dead and he is certain Nurse Gray is an extension of his aunt’s will. And yet, …

Though the internal evidence is thin, it is possible that “Conrad” connects to the following group of stories:

"Miss Emily Gray"
"The Wings of Meister Wilhelm"
"Lessons with Miss Gray"
:
The town of Ashton, North Carolina seems to share features with the small towns of Ray Bradbury's mid-west or Stephen King's Maine in that odd things happen there. These stories are spread out from mid-way through the collection, but offer us recountings of events in Ashton in the early part of the 20th century. The first introduces us to Miss Gray: Shortly after Genevieve wishes for more freedom, Miss Gray becomes her nanny. Wishes granted may still be not what you wished for.

In "The Wings of Meister Wilhelm" young Rose finds she is not a violinist, that the people closest to her are not always who she thought they were, and that a grand dream may be worth chasing even if it causes pain and loss.

In "Lessons with Miss Gray," Rose reappears in company with her friends Melody, Emma, and Justina. Being reporters this week isn't quite fulfilling enough. Miss Gray's ad in the local paper indicates it's time to become witches. Of course wishes have consequences, some of them unexpected and unwanted; but then life is like that, too.

This is a formidable collection, fine prose in the service of stories with a fairy tale feel.

Randy M.

hardsciencefanagain: Thanks for the support. I have all the issues of F&SF under the editorship of Rusch (actually, I have all the issues published during the 20th century) and have mixed feelings about that time. At times she seemed to publish a lot of stuff by her own personal group of writers from her part of the USA. There was also a period when there seemed to be a lot of stories about child sexual abuse. I have no problem with that as a theme, but there seemed to be a whole bunch of it. Of course, there was a lot of good stuff, too.

Randy M.: Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed reviews.

**murmurs mcComas,Boucher,Ferman**
Jealous of you,plain and simple

BTW,Kudos to all the people in this thread who provide sysnopses,all kinds of insights,
personal views(i love that)/Comments

worth more than bags of blurbs,selfpromotion and art for art's sake litcrit

Last edited:
"The State of Grace" by Harold Brodsky (1954) -- As an adult, the narrator looks back on his life as a teenager living in poverty and his relationship with a younger boy, eventually realizing that his real problem was an inability to love. The narrator is alternately self-pitying and self-accusing. I don't know this author at all, but he reads something like J. D. Salinger without that author's gift for quirkiness and imagination.

"Aftermath of a Lengthy Rejection Slip" by Charles Bukowski (1944) -- More of an extended in-joke than anything else, this shows the author getting a rejection slip complaining that his stories always deal with prostitutes, drunks, and so on. A guy whom he assumes is the editor shows up at his rooming house, meets his drunk buddies, and he takes him to meet his prostitute girlfriend. I've heard of this author, but never read his stuff.

"Miriam" by Truman Capote (1945) -- A widow finds her life invaded by a very strange little girl. This can be read as either a study in madness or as a supernatural tale. In fact, this story has often been reprinted in anthologies of horror stories. It reads something like the darker side of Ray Bradbury.

"Furious Seasons" by Raymond Carver (1960) -- Not what you might expect from one usually thought of as a minimalist. This one is full of multiple flashbacks, stream of consciousness, and detailed description. The plot involves a man thinking about something that happened (not revealed to the reader until the end) before he left for a hunting trip in rainy weather. Somewhat confusing, with a pretty shocking conclusion.

"Expelled" by John Cheever (1930) -- A student is expelled from a private school, and a history teacher is discharged for expressing an unpopular opinion. Very much a young man's protest against conformity.

"Landing in Luck" by William Faulkner (1919) -- A soldier training to be a pilot in WWI makes his first solo flight, and has to make an crash landing when he loses his landing gear. A pretty much straightforward story from an author not known for them.

"Babes in the Woods" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1919) -- Teenagers carry on flirtations. Pretty much a character study of young people with their mixture of sophistication and naivete.

"Albergo Empedocle" by E. M. Forster (1903) -- A young man touring ancient ruins in Sicily remembers having lived there before. Can be read as a fantasy of reincarnation or a study of madness.

"The End of the Party" by Graham Greene (1931) -- A young boy with a terrible fear of the dark is forced to play hide-and-seek with the lights out during a birthday party, with tragic results. An effective psychological chiller.

"Because of the Waters of the Flood" by Mark Helprin (1969) -- Brief character study of a young married couple who have dropped out of society to live on an isolated sheep ranch in the American West. An approving depiction of not-quite-hippies.

"in our time" by Ernest Hemingway (1923) -- Very short piece consisting of seemingly unrelated paragraphs describing events in war and bullfighting. Already very Hemingway, although the lack of capital letters in the title isn't typical.

"Crazy in the Stir" by Chester B. Himes (1934) -- Character study of a convict's psychological turmoil during a typical day in prison. Written while the author himself was a prisoner.

"After You, My Dear Alphonse" by Shirley Jackson (1943) -- A young white boy brings his black friend home for lunch. The white boy's mother tries to help the friend, assuming that he needs the help. A piercing study of a subtle form of "benign" racism.

"Territory" by David Leavitt (1982) -- A young gay man brings his lover home to meet his liberal, supportive mother. Changes in American society since the 1980's have made this story almost quaint.

"April in Paris" by Ursula K. LeGuin (1962) -- Not really the author's first published story -- she had one of her mainstream stories about the fictional nation of Orsinia published earlier in a small literary journal -- but the first for which she got paid. A magic spell brings a man from 1961 to the 15th century, then later a woman from the time of the Roman Empire and a woman from the far future. It's a rather charming tale about lonely people finding each other despite great differences.

"The Pig" by Doris Lessing (1948) -- In South Africa, a white farmer instructs one of his native workers to guard his fields at night, and shoot at anything that moves. This leads to a stark tale of adultery and murder.

"Cruel and Barbarous Treatment" by Mary McCarthy (1939) -- A married woman tells her husband that she has a lover,eventually travelling to Reno alone to obtain a divorce. A familiar situation, but told here as brittle satire, as the woman treats her experience as a sort of artistic performance. Said to be based on the author's own love affair, which ended her first marriage.

"Wunderkind" by Carson McCullers (1936) -- During one of her piano lessons, a teenage girl finds herself no longer the brilliantly promising musician she seemed to be. A penetrating portrait of adolescent anxiety and disappointments.

You'd almost think first stories weak and hardly worth the effort to read but this anthology seems to contradict that with a big fist. On my radar for sure.

"The Greatest Thing in the World" by Norman Mailer (1941) -- A vagrant gets picked up by some pool hustlers and tries to escape with his small amount of money, and, later, his life. Almost a hardboiled crime story.

"Benefit Performance" by Bernard Malamud (1943) -- An actor in the Yiddish theater gets into an argument with his daughter's boyfriend, an uneducated plumber. Mostly notable for the actor's dramatic (what else?) self-pity.

"Mademoiselle Claude" by Henry Miller (1931) -- Depicts the narrator's love for a French prostitute. Pretty frank for its time about things like STD's.

"A Basket of Strawberries" by Alice Munro (1953) -- Character study of an aging professor, unhappily married for many years to a woman he seduced when she was one of his students, who reveals his feelings when a student makes a small gesture of kindness. A mature story for a young writer.

"In the Old World" by Joyce Carol Oates (1959) -- A boy walks a long distance from his farm home to town in order to talk to the local deputy, for reasons not disclosed until the end. Will it surprise anybody that this author's story involves an act of violence?

"The Geranium" by Flannery O'Connor (1946) -- An elderly Southern man goes to live with his daughter in her New York apartment. Pretty much a study in cultural shock.

"Goodbye and Good Luck" by Grace Paley (1956) -- The narrator, the aging aunt of the unseen listener, relates her love affair with a star of the Yiddish theater. A gently comic story, with a happy ending.

"Such a Pretty Little Picture" by Dorothy Parker (1922) -- A suburban husband imagines dropping everything and leaving his job, wife, and child, but knows he never will. Told with the sardonic wit you'd expect from the author.

"The Day It Snowed" by Philip Roth (1954) -- A young boy is told that his stepfather, like his aunt and uncle before, has "disappeared" in order to hide the truth of death from him. An effective tale of the loss of innocence, but with a sudden, melodramatic ending not in keeping with the rest.

"The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze" by William Saroyan (1933) -- Stream-of-consciousness account of a (literally) starving writer as he wakes up from dreams, walks around, then goes back to his room (where he has one more day left before he's kicked out for not paying rent) and collapses. Told in an experimental style.

"Flash in the Pan" by Irwin Shaw (1936) -- A playwright anxiously awaits reviews of his second play. Pretty much a self-portrait of the author, I'd say.

"Gimpel the Fool" by Isaac Bashevis Singer (translated from the Yiddish by Saul Bellow, 1953) -- It's sort of cheating to call this the author's first story. He was published in his native Poland in Yiddish as early as 1927, but this was his first short story to appear in English. Anyway, the title narrator relates how everyone in his village made him the butt of their practical jokes, eventually manipulating him into marrying a woman who already has one child (while telling him she's a virgin) who cuckolds him many times over the years. A touch of the supernatural seems to occur near the end.

Told with the sardonic wit you'd expect from the author.

This makes me think - of the authors you're familiar with, how many would you say had their "voice" in these first stories vs. those who - whether a good story or not - just didn't seem to have it yet? (Like possibly Faulkner - I gather his first couple of novels were quite different from his later ones, as well.) Any especially surprising (relative to their authors) - like people who not only weren't quite "there" yet but even seemed like completely different authors or people who never wrote one as good again or other outliers?

"And Baby Makes Three" by Jane Smiley (1977) -- Caring for their new baby creates tensions for a young couple. If nothing else, made me glad that I am child-free by choice.

"The Seraph and the Zambesi" by Muriel Spark (1951) -- An ageless man encounters an angel during the rehearsals for a Christmas play at a tourist spot in Africa. Reads like magic realism.

"Oil Field Vignettes" by Jim Thompson (1929) -- I'm not sure if this should even be counted as fiction, since it seems to have been published as journalism. Anyway, it consists of three brief tales about Texas oil workers. Has the flavor of jokes/tall tales told by tough guys.

"Friends From Philadelphia" by John Updike (1954) -- A teenage boy goes to a neighbor's house to ask the man of the house to purchase some wine for the guests arriving at the boy's house. Mostly a suburban character study in the author's typical style, but with a twist at the end.

"Report on the Barnhouse Effect" by Kurt Vonnegut (1950) -- A professor learns how to use telekinesis, then disappears before he can be used as a weapon. Seems to be an allegory of the atomic bomb.

"To Hell with Dying" by Alice Walker (1967) -- Character study of an elderly man who goes through several episodes of "dying," only to be revived each time. Seems to be mostly a young writer's tribute to an old man.

"Death of a Traveling Salesman" by Eudora Welty (1936) -- The title character gets his car stuck in a ditch way out in the middle of nowhere, and has to ask the local residents of the backwoods for help. Would probably be classified as Southern Grotesque.

"The Vengeance of Nitocris" by Tennessee Williams (1928) -- The teenage playwright-to-be spins a yarn about gruesome and elaborate revenge in ancient Egypt, and sells it to Weird Tales. Lush and romantic and overwritten, it's very much a hothouse flower.

J-Sun: Most of these authors seem to have developed at least crude versions of their styles from the start. At one extreme, "in our time" is extremely Hemingwayesque, as if he just popped out that way. On the other, as you note, William Faulkner shows no sign of his peculiar style. (He even spelled his name "Falkner" for his first story.) Roth and Updike, it seems to me, write like themselves but seem to think they need a plot twist at the end. "The Vengeance of Nitrocris" is pulp fiction, but gives hints of the dream-like style of much of Tennessee Williams. Raymond Carver, as I mentioned, didn't yet seem to be a minimalist. Fitzgerald writes like a young and inexperienced version of himself, but Atwood and Capote seem to be fully mature versions. Many of the writers seem to be very autobiographical in their first pieces, in particular Bukowski, Himes, Miller, and Shaw, who hardly seem to be writing fiction at all.

J-Sun: Most of these authors seem to have developed at least crude versions of their styles from the start. At one extreme, "in our time" is extremely Hemingwayesque, as if he just popped out that way. On the other, as you note, William Faulkner shows no sign of his peculiar style. (He even spelled his name "Falkner" for his first story.) Roth and Updike, it seems to me, write like themselves but seem to think they need a plot twist at the end. "The Vengeance of Nitrocris" is pulp fiction, but gives hints of the dream-like style of much of Tennessee Williams. Raymond Carver, as I mentioned, didn't yet seem to be a minimalist. Fitzgerald writes like a young and inexperienced version of himself, but Atwood and Capote seem to be fully mature versions. Many of the writers seem to be very autobiographical in their first pieces, in particular Bukowski, Himes, Miller, and Shaw, who hardly seem to be writing fiction at all.

Thanks for the reply - interesting reviews and insights and it sounds like an interesting book. Nice point on the autobiography - probably trying very hard to "write what they know." :)

You probably know but, if you don't and would be interested (or anyone else reading the thread would) I'm pretty sure there's more than one SF version of that - I can't think of the main one I'm trying to think of, but there's also Wondrous Beginnings. (Haven't read it but I've read several stories from it.)

I said I wasn't going to spam the thread with all the Tangent reviews or whatever, and I won't continue to spam about this either, but I did want to say once that I've gone on a webzine binge, described in this Chrons blog post (or you can just go check it out at the pages themselves). I've really been impressed - while there's a lot of stuff I'd just as soon not have read (which is true of any zine or anthology, really), there's a lot of good stuff out there and, while most people probably know about it all already, I thought I'd point out some of my favorites if you haven't come across them.

"Oil Field Vignettes" by Jim Thompson (1929) -- I'm not sure if this should even be counted as fiction, since it seems to have been published as journalism. Anyway, it consists of three brief tales about Texas oil workers. Has the flavor of jokes/tall tales told by tough guys.

Have you read other Jim Thompson short stories or his famous noir novels? That story sounds very differently from his many novels that i have read. He is one of my best novelist but i have yet to read his short stories. Did you read the story in an anthology?

Have you read other Jim Thompson short stories or his famous noir novels? That story sounds very differently from his many novels that i have read. He is one of my best novelist but i have yet to read his short stories. Did you read the story in an anthology?

It was in an anthology of the first published pieces by famous authors. I have only read The Killer in Me, in a collection of American Crime Fiction of the 1950's. It was certainly a hard-hitting novel.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if Jim Thompson or Hemingway ever wrote anything that might qualify as fantasy, horror, or sf?

Looked up Thompson's The Killer Inside Me on Amazon, great quote by Stanley Kubrick on the cover. Too bad he never filmed it. Could have been a classic.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if Jim Thompson or Hemingway ever wrote anything that might qualify as fantasy, horror, or sf?

Looked up Thompson's The Killer Inside Me on Amazon, great quote by Stanley Kubrick on the cover. Too bad he never filmed it. Could have been a classic.

Ive read Thompson book, It's a great book and and very chilling reading.(y)

Back