Thinking the unthinkable: SBOH

Well, I'm sure that there're fundamentalists that view all fiction with suspicion. Just as there're some progressive atheist who think that all fantasy is escapist and Tolkien is nothing but an elitist religious conservative. I don't think we should concern ourselves with the fringes when so many people of different backgrounds have enjoyed Tolkien's books over the years.

Well, I'm sure that there're fundamentalists that view all fiction with suspicion. Just as there're some progressive atheist who think that all fantasy is escapist and Tolkien is nothing but an elitist religious conservative. I don't think we should concern ourselves with the fringes when so many people of different backgrounds have enjoyed Tolkien's books over the years.

Actually, I was (at least, in part) agreeing with you; I was just drawing a distinction between the extreme fundamentalists who take this view, and the more moderate fundamentalists who are aware that there is a broader range of approaches which are valid. Not all fundamentalists -- or even fundamentalist sects -- are complete yahoos, though some are.

As for "not concerning" oneself with... from my experience, I'd strongly disagree. Just such "fringes" got about half my high school library removed and burned in the parking lot the year I graduated, and I've seen plenty of other examples of such. They are very much something to be concerned about, both as affects approaches to Tolkien and in the broader realm of their effect on literature and culture in society in general.

Well, unless they interfere with your choices directly, of course. But if they simply refuse to read Tolkien, I don't care much about it (their loss, really).

If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

-- Revelation 22:18-19​

Now there's a man who's not happy with his editor!

Now there's a man who's not happy with his editor!

Actually, I've a feeling that some variant of that has been said by more than a few writers about more than a few editors ever since....:rolleyes:

And once again, to drag the thread back on topic.... I think the main problem with anyone else doing a "sequel" or even a parallel story, is capturing the feel of Tolkien's world and work. Just as with most writers who have a very distinctive feel, in order to do anything approaching justice to a tale set in Tolkien's world, you'd have to capture something of Tolkien's essence -- his worldview, the flavour of his style, something of that nature -- and I just don't think anyone is likely to either be able or be interested in doing so (or both).

With Lovecraft, even before his death, what became known as "The Cthulhu Mythos" was becoming the joint product of many writers, which gave some leeway in atmosphere and approach. (Writing a Lovecraftian story is quite another, and much more difficult, thing.) Even so, the successful attempts are comparatively few.

As for the later Foundation novels by writers other than Asimov... there we did have not only the estate's permission, but also (iirc) Isaac's own approval of their own work, which may give some (very slender) rationale to such a business. With Tolkien, this isn't likely to be the case, considering his dim view of others mucking about with his work. (Again and again I am reminded of Lewis' famous comment about influence: "No one ever influenced Tolkien -- you might as well attempt to influence a bandersnatch!" I'd say the response to others attempting sequels or spinoffs to his work would get much the same reception....)

I heard that Guy Gavriel Kay was promised to be allowed to write Tolkien-based novels when he helped to work on Silmarillion but then CJRT changed his mind. Personally, I think it's a good thing. Kay might be a good writer, but he's not Tolkien.

As for Tolkien's heirs having plenty of money, I'm afraid both history and science have shown that happiness just doesn't work that way. When your material circumstances change your ideas about what is luxury and what is necessity change with them. There is also the "arms race" effect: it doesn't matter if you were born in a one room shack and now you own a fifty foot yacht - if your neighbor buys a sixty foot yacht, you're going to start looking for some way to afford a battleship. That's why all those investment bankers kept lowering the loan standards more and more, inflating a bubble they knew couldn't last ... Tolkien's heirs are human too.

Not all human beings are that way, however. It's just that the ones who are get most of the attention. You do sometimes hear about very successful people who prefer a modest life-style, but many more are silent, preferring to maintain their privacy. Financial security, doing a job that they love, and the ability to afford a few indulgences that most people can't is enough for them. They don't need to be wallowing in wealth. When somebody's desire for wealth keeps escalating until they have ten (or a hundred) times more money than anyone could possibly spend on themselves and their families in a lifetime, I don't believe it is simple human greed. They are trying to replace something that is missing in their lives, trying to fill a bottomless hole with money.

Since it would have to be a group decision to release the rights, all of Tolkien's heirs would a) have to share that burning desire for ever more wealth, and b) have little interest in protecting the legacy.

Not everyone is "human" in the same way.

As for Tolkien's desire to create a mythology for England, I believe (though I could be wrong), that he was largely thinking that his mythology might be expressed in other media, like poetry, music, and art. Or that people might use his work as a historical background for original stories of their own, rather than for direct sequels.

Also, later in life he seemed to think that idea was naïve. Whether that was because he became more protective of his ideas and his work, or because he thought creating such a mythology was too ambitious a task, I don't know.

Last edited:
One could always look at it from another perspective. Tolkein created a world - not only a physical place , but a land habitted with many races , each with it's own language , past and beliefs.

After a lifetime devoted to creating this whole and complete world , would he really wish for no-one else to write about it? Middle Earth is teeming with untold or half-told stories - and there is plenty of space for other writers to help Tolkein's creation to grow and flourish without stepping outside of the boundaries or undermining the foundations of his realm.

Many of us can't afford to buy a lot of books, so "which books end up in the school library" matters quite a bit to "our own children".

That sounds very harsh, now that I read it, but I won't change it because the quote above makes it sound like what's in the library isn't a concern for "the rest of us". I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but we could all stand to be reminded that a lot of kids, and not just the poor ones, aren't exposed to any books at all outside of what they can find in the library and what's read to them in class, either because their parents are very poor or because their parents just don't read. In a democracy restrictions on what those kids can read will affect my kids' future, even if those kids live in a red state and mine in a blue.

Well there are two things I can say in response to that:

1) Although I disagree with parents who think that fantasy and books with any sort of magical element should not be present in the school library, I believe that as taxpayers they are paying for those books, and have just as much right as you or I have to state their opinions and try to influence how their taxes are spent and which influences their children are exposed to at a school.

2) I believe we were discussing what might happen if the rights became available and YA books based on Tolkien's books were published, and what your relatives and others like them might try to do about it. Library sales can have an effect, but as I said YA fantasy seems to be doing very well in bookstores, so I don't see any danger of it disappearing any time soon, unless there becomes such a glut that it is no longer is profitable. Even then, publishers are more likely to cut back than stop publishing the books entirely. So if the rights were released by Tolkien's heirs, it's unlikely that protests by Fundamentalists would prevent them from being published or appearing in chain bookstores.

On a side-note:

There is a website called "The Christian Guide to Fantasy." They are quite enthusiastic about a great many fantasy authors.

I don't have time for a long post (oh, you could at least wait to cheer 'til I've left the room...) but I do have time for some shameless flattery: message boards are supposed to be full of boobs and cretins - so who let all these thoughtful, civil people in? Is it a British thing? Anyway, thanks.

A minor point, (and again OT, sorry) but did he actually say this? Because it makes no sense to me. Arda itself was marred by the interference of Melkor in its creation, and I believe Tolkien said that the elves were his idea of how men might have been if there had been no fall (being immortal and what have you) - which implies that the men in his stories are no different, in the fallen sense, to us.

I think this is a case of poor communication on my part: by pre-fallen I meant "already fallen", not "in a state prior to falling". Like buying hamburgers that are pre-cooked, or being pre-approved for a loan. Sorry.

I think Tolkein himself said that any seqyel would be too sad. I understand what he is sating. Any continuation would not have the "same magic." Gandalf and Frodo are gone.