Video Game Based Novels

Rinman

More Machine than Human
I'm a very picky novel reader, yet I have endless
What is your opinion on video game based novels?

Whether it be:

Diablo
Doom
Starcraft
Warcraft
Warhammer
Warhammer 40 000

Or the many others of which I may not have listed, has anyone read any of them? What is your opinion of them and so on? There's just one series that doesn't exist that I'm suprised about, and that's an "official" Final Fantasy series. Yes I know there's a bajillion fanfictions and so on, but there's no official writings like there are for the Warhammer 40 000 and so on. I'd like to see a novel for Final Fantasy III (or VI, whichever way you look at it), VII, X, and XII personally. Another book I'm suprised about is Chrono Trigger.

I currently own the Starcraft Archive, and will soon own the Warhammer 40 000 Blood Raven Omnibus as well. Why they use a word like Omnibus instead of Archive I don't know...I actually had to Google the word "Define: Omnibus" to see what the word actually meant...I've never heard of that before...kind of like someone hearing the word:

Antidisestablishmentarianism

Which actually has a definition...

What is your opinion on video game based novels?

Whether it be:

Diablo
Doom
Starcraft
Warcraft
Warhammer
Warhammer 40 000

Or the many others of which I may not have listed, has anyone read any of them? What is your opinion of them and so on? There's just one series that doesn't exist that I'm suprised about, and that's an "official" Final Fantasy series. Yes I know there's a bajillion fanfictions and so on, but there's no official writings like there are for the Warhammer 40 000 and so on. I'd like to see a novel for Final Fantasy III (or VI, whichever way you look at it), VII, X, and XII personally. Another book I'm suprised about is Chrono Trigger.

I currently own the Starcraft Archive, and will soon own the Warhammer 40 000 Blood Raven Omnibus as well. Why they use a word like Omnibus instead of Archive I don't know...I actually had to Google the word "Define: Omnibus" to see what the word actually meant...I've never heard of that before...kind of like someone hearing the word:

'Archive' is a reference to the Templar Archives in the StarCraft universe, whilst 'omnibus' is just a generic publishing term.

Also, the Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 novels go back a long time before there were computer games based on either. Apart from the direct tie-ins (the Dawn of War novels), the novels are based on the background developed for the tabletop wargames. Since WarCraft is heavily based on Warhammer and StarCraft on Warhammer 40,000 (Blizzard couldn't afford the rights back then), it's all a bit incestuous ;)

I'd say in general books based directly on games suck, but those that set up game storylines or follow on from them are much stronger. The recent Mass Effect prequel novel is supposed to be pretty decent.

I'm surprised they didn't use "codex" for the WH40K novels, unless they thought it might cause confusion with the WH40K rules suppliments

What about the Star Wars: The Force Unleashed novel? Does that count? There was also a set of three stories tied in to the Jedi Knght Game.

I have read many of the Warhammer 40K Novels (the omnibus editions) and have found them to be very entertaining. Particularly the Dan Abnett ones which i would recomment to anyone with a Penchant for War stories.

Perhaps more interesting are the novellas that came with some games and set the scene for the action to come. The Dark Wheel was very good.

I thought the Myst books (Atrus, T'iana and D'ni) worked just as well on their own as with the games. The only other game related books I've read were the first 2 Gabriel Knight books (Sins of the Fathers and The Beast Within). They basically followed the game story, but had a bit more background.

Perhaps more interesting are the novellas that came with some games and set the scene for the action to come. The Dark Wheel was very good.

that set the scene perfectly for Elite (one of my all time favourite games)

and it gave you something to do while you waited for the game to load :D

if you are interested in the old novellas, you might be interested in this site

How about the new novel for the upcoming Dragon's Age game from Bioware?

I'd quite like to see a novel based on their Bioshock licence. That was a great concept. Actually, i'm surprised that there haven't been any novels released based on the KOTOR series of Star Wars games.

I thought the Myst books (Atrus, T'iana and D'ni) worked just as well on their own as with the games. The only other game related books I've read were the first 2 Gabriel Knight books (Sins of the Fathers and The Beast Within). They basically followed the game story, but had a bit more background.

Never knew there was Myst novels...but how would there be Myst novels when there's virtually nothing going on in the game really? I haven't played the games myself...I've just heard there's a bunch of puzzles and whatnaught and it's empty otherwise sort of deal...

I'd quite like to see a novel based on their Bioshock licence. That was a great concept. Actually, i'm surprised that there haven't been any novels released based on the KOTOR series of Star Wars games.

That's because the KotOR games were based on an earlier series of graphic novels ;)

I think there's some complicated licence thing that the book publishers have to do with the graphic novel creators and LucasArts if they want to do KotOR novels. They were going to do it last year but chose to do Legacy of the Force instead.

I'd quite like to see a novel based on their Bioshock licence.

BioWare aren't related to Bioshock ;) Take Two created Bioshock, whilst BioWare are the company behind the Baldur's Gate and Knights of the Old Republic series, as well as Mass Effect, Jade Empire, Neverwinter Nights (but not the second one) and the forthcoming The Old Republic (the new Star Wars online game), Mass Effect II and Dragon Age.

That's great news. I have read one Eve book and it was actually quite good.

Never knew there was Myst novels...but how would there be Myst novels when there's virtually nothing going on in the game really? I haven't played the games myself...I've just heard there's a bunch of puzzles and whatnaught and it's empty otherwise sort of deal...
Because you haven't played the games, you don't realize that there is a very detailed story background about a fallen civilization called the D'ni. They developed the art of writing books that actually called a world into being. Each 'book' was a portal to a new Age. There are 5 Myst games and an offshoot game called Uru. They relate the story of one surviving generation of D'ni writers. The books compliment the games and give a lot more background.
Sure they are a puzzle heavy game, but the story is revealed through exploration and obsevation. They are not for everyone - no fighting or fast paced action - but if you like to immerse yourself in a fantasy realm and lose yourself in solitary exploration, give them a try.

Halo first book by Eric Nylund is the only video game book i have read. It was surprisingly good and entertaining.
If Halo series had that kind of story in it it could have been more than just some online first person shooter with a boring single player mode.

I did make the mistake of reading the Doom books, the first one was ok but things quickly went down hill from there

Because you haven't played the games, you don't realize that there is a very detailed story background about a fallen civilization called the D'ni. They developed the art of writing books that actually called a world into being. Each 'book' was a portal to a new Age. There are 5 Myst games and an offshoot game called Uru. They relate the story of one surviving generation of D'ni writers. The books compliment the games and give a lot more background.
Sure they are a puzzle heavy game, but the story is revealed through exploration and obsevation. They are not for everyone - no fighting or fast paced action - but if you like to immerse yourself in a fantasy realm and lose yourself in solitary exploration, give them a try.

Observation of how? I thought it was just "you" on the island solving a bunch of things and that being it? Could you elaborate the phrase, "solitary exploration"? And is it even possible to get the Myst games anymore?

I did make the mistake of reading the Doom books, the first one was ok but things quickly went down hill from there

Well that really explains a lot. If you're just going to say, "I read this book and it failed miserably after such and such..." people might want to know why you know. Especially the newer people such as myself.

Observation of how? I thought it was just "you" on the island solving a bunch of things and that being it? Could you elaborate the phrase, "solitary exploration"? And is it even possible to get the Myst games anymore?
The story behind Myst unfolds as you explore and read through journals and other clues left behind. There usually is an introduction to set you on your way. Solitary exploration is just that - no other characters to interact with. Everything is found out by what you are able to piece together from solving the puzzles and gaining access to new areas.

Myst was recently released as an Iphone game, and you can easily find used XP versions online. Gamespot has RealMyst available as a download. It is a 3D rendered version of Myst.

that set the scene perfectly for Elite (one of my all time favourite games)

and it gave you something to do while you waited for the game to load :D

if you are interested in the old novellas, you might be interested in this site

Wow, thanks - that's a fantastic site!

Btw anyone know if there are any novels based around 'the Nameless One' from the Planescape Torment game (although it's almost an interactive novel in itself)? Would love to know what happened to him afterwards

Back