Are there any "Rules" to reviewing?

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
Hello,

I've looked at several reviews from my fellow Chrons members and am quite interested in maybe having a go myself. Are there any rules (either official or unofficial) that i need to be aware of?

Speaking only as a reader of reviews on the Chrons**, I suppose the most important "rule" - although I don't think it is a rule as such, is to put *Spoilers* in the thread title if you are going to reveal crucial plot or character points.

** - As I finish reading a book, I mention it in that month's "what are you reading" thread. I say whether I've enjoyed it, but try not to give more information than you might expect to see on the back cover and the first page (such as the first sentence of the prologue/chapter one).

No rules. As with any review, you really should, as Ursa says, be careful about spoilers.

Otherwise, it's up to you.

Damn!!!! I was hoping for some hard and fast rules. :eek:

It may be an obvious point, but I've known it ignored often enough....if you don't like a book, do explain why, because that helps readers decide if the book is for them. I have known reviewers comprehensively slag off a book simply because they didn't like the story, which another person might well enjoy - tastes differ, after all. So try to separate more objective criticism of (for example) the writing quality or the characterisation from your personal preferences. In other words, be fair to the author!

Back