The NEW Elvish name translator.

Valandil Telrúnya. Not bad, but I think a lot of people's translations will be similar to the Hobbit name translator.

The other site was a more literal translation, though they only had common English names available.

What if you have an Elvish name and want an English translation?!

Lenwë Calafalas or Finwë Calafalas
(Lenwe= Nicholas and Finwe=Nick)

Pretty cool...

Valandil of Dorthonion

Quite appropriate, coming as I do from Cumbria...:p

Orophin Anwamane
interesting...
would be interesting to know what it meant though...

devilsgrin said:
Orophin Anwamane ... interesting...
would be interesting to know what it meant though...

With respect to meaning, if you happen to get an actual name from the books, as happens, one might be able to know the meaning of the Elvish name at least. Orophin is from the books, but as far as I know, its meaning is not yet attested anywhere.

Concerning the post above yours however, just for (easier) example, both Círdan and Telemnar are from the books too. The first is Sindarin and means Shipwright, as many probably already know. And although the meaning of Quenya Telemnar is also not yet attested (that I know of, at least), I would guess it means *Silver-flame.

Last edited:
Amras Vardamir, at your service...

One reason you will get the same name as another person is that this 'machine' does not translate but rather spits out a given 'something' depending upon the letters you input.

You don't even have to put in a name -- it will 'generate' a name based on one letter typed in, or the entire Roman alphabet. It's quite 'random' in one sense (it has nothing to do with meaning, for instance), even if predictable in another.

One might draw up a list of Tolkien-made names -- close eyes -- and randomly pick something...

... and 'generate' an Elvish name :D

One reason you will get the same name as another person is that this 'machine' does not translate but rather spits out a given 'something' depending upon the letters you input.

You don't even have to put in a name -- it will 'generate' a name based on one letter typed in, or the entire Roman alphabet. It's quite 'random' in one sense (it has nothing to do with meaning, for instance), even if predictable in another.

One might draw up a list of Tolkien-made names -- close eyes -- and randomly pick something...

... and 'generate' an Elvish name :D
Thanks for ruining the ilusion, Bro. ;)

Sorry :D

But I'm guessing you probably didn't type in a name that actually meant the same thing as Elros...

... and actually if you type in 'Starfoam' in (male) both first and last, you get: Galdor Tulcakelume, not Elros Elros! but in defense of this machine, it says 'generator' not translator.

Oh well.... it's just for fun anyway :)

OK. That explains why, when it generated a Hobbit name for me, it came up with Orangeblossom Sandybanks of Frogmorton -- instead of doing something with my already Hobbity real last name, which is "Hill."