David Eddings passes away

Ian Whates

Author and Editor
I've just heard that fantasy author David Eddings passed away last night (June 2nd) at the age of 77.

I haven't read anything by him in several years but greatly enjoyed his earlier work.

Another sad loss. :(

A peerless writer of uncomplicated, undemanding fantasy, and so many people's introduction to the genre.

RIP.

Oh my god thats quite a shock ! I never realised his age! I will have to tell Helen later,shes a fan of his books(I quite enjoyed the Belgariad myself)

RIP David!

That's such a shame. I loved the Belgariad and others when I was younger, and they still hold a fond place in my heart. Rest in peace.

I just got an email from sfcrowsnest with a news report saying David Eddings passed away yesterday. I wasn't sure if this was true as there was nothing on here about it but checking a few other places and it does seem to be true!
I really enjoyed his books and am quite saddened by his passing - another of the old favourites has gone!

Posted in the other thread in general, but it is sad to hear. I found the one link but wasn't able to find anything more definite. Does anybody have any news link or anything concrete?

I don't think I ever read anything other than the first 4 series he did but those were great and one of the things that made me fall for fantasy, they drew me into the fold.

sorry to hear that, I have not read anything by him, but it does sound as if I'd like his works very much.

That is too bad. His books were classic and he will be missed.

it's a shame. i like dhis books as a child, outgrew them, but still considered him one of the names of fantasy. he's another name that's passed away.

Like FQ, I loved Eddings' books as a teenager, and outgrew him, but he was one of the greats of the genre in his day. I have very fond memories of devouring The Belgariad, and re-reading it a few times while waiting for the last books to come out.

Though I no longer read Mr. Eddings' work, his is a loss. I am feeling wistful for hot summer days under my parents' Locust tree, reading Pawn of Prophecy. The Locust tree too, is gone, destroyed in the great Ice Storm of 1998.

I've just merged the two threads on Eddings's passing. Although this is something of such great impact it almost seems there should be more than one thread, two threads on the same subject active at the same time generally lead to confusion.

Back when fantasy book sections were a lot rarer and smaller in book shops than they are today (!) a friend and myself both picked a series to read, each trying to outdo the other. My choice was the Belgariad,

I can remember taking it off the shelf in Sherrit & Hughes in Plymouth (No longer there) and back then when I had the time to read, read Pawn of Prophecy from cover to cover and the other four books followed one after another.

It was a magical experience, and one that has stayed with me ever since (I an remember finishing book 4 while on holiday and getting stroppy with my parents because book 5 was at home and they insisted on staying that extra night away!)

Like many others I gave up on the later books, but I guess those first five will stay with me for ever...

And it needs saying too, that I thought Sparhawk was a magnificent creation too.

Thank you Mr Eddings, RIP

sad news indeed. i think my whole family read the Belgariad after my uncle left the series behind for us when he emigrated, and it was one of the only fantasy series that both my parents actively read.
a lot of my early attempts at fantasy were spurred on by his work, and - as much as Tolkein - he showed how a "real" fantasy world might work....