How often do you re-read your favorite books and which books do you re-read the most?

Re: How often do you re-read your favorite books and which books do you re-read the m

All my Terry Pratchetts at least once a year...
:D

You know how to treat yourself pyan!:D I wish I can do that but I still haven't read them all yet.

If I ever end up traveling by train TP books are some of the few I find that I can read and still enjoy - I think its because they are so easy to put down and pick up again - no race reading for the next chapter.

So true. That's why it's always a pleasure to pick up a discworld book - a joy, a comfort, like a good friend.

Re: How often do you re-read your favorite books and which books do you re-read the m

There are also situations where you read a book completely differently, looking for other things in it. I've recently started rereading my Cherryhs (il est bien court, le temps des cerises), not to refresh my memory for the story line, but to investigate writing techniques, sentence structure (should that be 'sentience' structure, I ask myself?) and use of invented terms tat the reader absorbs through context, rather than having explained. When I first read them, mumble mumble years ago, I wasn't writing and had no interest in such analysis.

There are also situations where you read a book completely differently, looking for other things in it. I've recently started rereading my Cherryhs (il est bien court, le temps des cerises), not to refresh my memory for the story line, but to investigate writing techniques, sentence structure (should that be 'sentience' structure, I ask myself?) and use of invented terms tat the reader absorbs through context, rather than having explained. When I first read them, mumble mumble years ago, I wasn't writing and had no interest in such analysis.

Too True Chris! Cherryh is one of the rare treats whose books have such body that they are impossible to read fast, and stand up to re-reading especially well.

My re-reads.

1,Stephen king - The stand 5 times.
2,Stephen King - The Dark Tower 4 times.
3,JRR Tolkien - Lord of the rings 4 times.

I speak for myself, but i'm sure that many of you will agree. Sometimes i'll reread a good book for no other reason than Familiarity you know?

That said, i won't just reread any books. Only about 9 or 10 exceptional ones.

I find myself rereading short stories and novellas more than whole novels. The House on the Borderland and The Willows I believe I've read about three or four times, not counting the numerous occasions I've dipped into them for certain passages which deeply affected me. I've read most of Lovecraft's work more than once, ditto for Borges. TED Klein's Black Man with a Horn I've read quite a lot over the years, as much for research purposes as for enjoyment; it's an almost perfectly crafted novella. Several of MR James' pieces reward repeat readings, and seem to in fact gain power by doing so. In my teens I recall reading Dune and The Hobbit quite a few times, and immensely enjoying the experience. I recently reread A Voyage to Arcturus, which I was pleased to note affected me as profoundly the second time as it did the first.

Though I think I know the answer, just what is "the banned and the banished series"?:confused:
was written by james clements, 5 book series. Really good just a bit anticlimatic for my liking!:cool:

was written by james clements, 5 book series. Really good just a bit anticlimatic for my liking!:cool:

I really enjoyed the first book in this series...but it seemed to get progressively worse...by the middle of the 4th book I gave up. And I never stop reading a book. Even now I am sure that I will go back and finish it some time.

But Witch Fire was a very good book with engaging characters and at the time I found it to be extremely original. I don't think many people here have read this series.

If you liked this series I would recommend Michael Stackpoles Glory War and the follow up trilogy DragonCrown War. I read these last summer and although they felt a little light they are a good story.

Ive been reading this thread, and find it interesting how people can reread a book so many times. I have to wait YEARS until I forget enough of the story before I can reread anything, no matter how much I loved the book. Maybe its the way I read? I take my time and make sure I catch every detail in the story, sometimes going back and skimming through a few pages if I find myself getting too lost. If I tried to reread a book a couple of years later I would still remember too much of it. I would always know exactly whats going to happen next and all of the suspense/intrigue/"What's Next!" would be lost.

I read Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep in 94' or 95'. Its almost 15 years later and Im just now to the point that I could read it again. I tried a few years back but stopped a few chapters in... I was like I had just read it only a few months ago.

I wish I could enjoy rereading my favorites year after year. I sometimes worry myself about finding something else to read that Ill like.

I, too, find that I cannot re-read a book I remember for the same reasons you gave. I remember re-reading once and I did 'uncover' things that I missed or did not pay enough attention to. However I felt that I was also losing something: the original emotions you feel when you first read a book. I found myself remembering the intensity but unable to feel it as much as when I first read the book. Hence when I finished the book, the impact was less strong. It felt like part of the magic was gone somehow, like drawing new pictures on a canvas but painting it in colours that are less bright. Since I really liked the book, it made me sad.:(

The only books I would perhaps consider reading again are those that did not have that much effect on me, that I have completely forgotten, or that are educational :D. I would however never re-read some books I read as a child, only look at the covers and experience an incredibly intense rush. I have found that nothing compares to the memory of something experienced when you still believed in magic.:)

Firstly the main reason I don't re-read is because I am a slow reader and I would rather just read other books anyway that I haven't yet read. It can take me a month to read 700 pages. Secondly I know the story now so the thrill and surprise has been revealed and it's no more got the edge to it.

Firstly the main reason I don't re-read is because I am a slow reader and I would rather just read other books anyway that I haven't yet read. It can take me a month to read 700 pages. Secondly I know the story now so the thrill and surprise has been revealed and it's no more got the edge to it.

That's my impediment. I really want to reread ASOIF, but they're so big and there are so many other things I want to get read that it seems nutty to reread something I've already read.

I personally find myself re-reading books more then I read new books. Whenever I tell myself to read a new book I often find myself going back to the tried and true series that I always enjoy.
The most common for me are David Eddings Belgariad series and any David Gemmell book when I want fantasy and David Webers Honor Harrinton series and Orson Scott Cards Ender series when I feel like a trip into science fiction.

I've read the Player of Games about 10 times and i've enjoyed it every time. That said, i no longer have any desire to read it again. Have i ruined it for myself?

I've read the Player of Games about 10 times and i've enjoyed it every time. That said, i no longer have any desire to read it again. Have i ruined it for myself?

I think not, if I had to reread a book it would be about 10 years later after I forgot what the story is about. Most of the time I don't forget so I don't reread. I read Dean Koontz Lightning and Phantoms about 3 times each because I could not get enough of the stories. I haven't read Koontz in about 13 years now.

I read The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers about once a year. It is just so much fun and instantly recharges my creativity cells. I also read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy quite often.

I want to re read 2001 but this time stop at the point where Frank Poole disappears,stop reading and start 3001,the Final Odyssey which concerns itself with Poole,and what happened after the incident. Then when thats finished go back to the other half of 2001.

I re-read things a lot. The books I probably read most often are obviously Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, The Bitterbynde Trilogy by Cecilia Dart-Thornton, various volumes of The Wheel of Time series and the first few Amber books by Roger Zelazny. But almost anything if I liked it I end up re-reading it.

I haven't had a re-read for some time now ( too many new books I want) but I've probably read David Gemmell's Drenai series most, followed by Fiest's Sepent War and Carol Bergs' RAI-KIRAH trilogy... A mention for Benrnard Cornwell's WARLORD trilogy as thats had a bit of a bashing also.

I'd probably do a Malazan re-read but only when i can take my time with it, possibly before The Crippled God is read

I do tend to reread books. Partly because new books are expensive, btu aprlty because it's fun to reread the good ones. here's not really any one or two books I've read many mroe timesthan all the other books I like... I've read Hitchhiker's Guide, Anna Karenina, Villette, and all of Diana Wynne Jones' books a fair few times though.