Simultaneous Submissions

Interference

Destroyer of Words
I have wondered about this for a very long time but for some reason it never actually occurred to me to ask anyone.

Since so few books will be taken up on their first circuit of agents/publishers, is there any real harm in sending your submissions to four or five people (or even more) at a time, thereby shortening the time it takes to get a crit (if one is forthcoming) and reducing the delay between submitting and re-writing/re-submitting?

However much faith a writer may have in his output, the rejection process is part of having a recognised name within the industry, even if only as the name of someone who has made a lot of submissions - and whose style has (hopefully) improved over time.

Does this seem a reasonable notion to anyone else?

Sometimes publishers take a dim view of simultaneous submissions. Go to their website(s) and see if they have anything to say on the matter.

Yeah, Mos, that's exactly my point. But since first submissions are practically always rejected, anyhow, why not get that waiting period over with asap?

The premise being: They're going to bounce it back anyway, why not send to everyone at once and get it over with.

See what I'm saying? :confused:

With querying, personally I believe it is ok to query one or more agent. I used to do them in batches of 5. If you get a request for a full manuscript, then I would ask if the agent wants an exclusive, if so, I would ask for a time limit, say 3 to 6 months.

Most agents and publishers understand that you are querying others, as long as you go about it in a professional manner I don't see the harm.

Take a look at the website absolutewrite, for more info...

In the end only you can make the decision on what to do.

Its a mine of good information, though I don't post much there. I don't have the quick wit to keep up, and I am frightened silly of making a 'ponker' of myself. (Which I tend to do routinely)

You're scaring me now :eek:

I was about to join ... :eek:

Is their entrance exam really that rigerus - er rigurace -- um rigorous?

No, it is not, it's a good forum, just not a warm and fuzzy place, least it feels like that to me. Though I have never ventured into the off topic areas....

AW is worth joining. Like any other forum, you just need to hang out awhile and get a feel for the place. It really is quite friendly and supportive. I've been there a couple years, but mostly lurk, like here. I have more fun reading other people's quirky comments and only speak up when I have something worthwhile to say, like this :)

The premise being: They're going to bounce it back anyway, why not send to everyone at once and get it over with.

Bad idea to start sending your book out with the idea that everyone is going to reject it anyway. Many new authors get published every year. If your book is good enough, why shouldn't you be one of them? Also what agents and publishers are looking for changes over time. If you "get it over with" all at once, you may miss your window of opportunity.

the rejection process is part of having a recognised name within the industry, even if only as the name of someone who has made a lot of submissions - and whose style has (hopefully) improved over time.

No, among all the submissions they read they won't remember your name at all unless they really like what they've seen -- unless your manuscript was a near miss. Don't count on building name recognition through the rejection process.

Its a mine of good information, though I don't post much there. I don't have the quick wit to keep up, and I am frightened silly of making a 'plonker' of myself. (Which I tend to do routinely)

Eeemm! I'm the only plonker on this board. My solicitor will be in touch in the Morning.

Rodney:mad:

Bad idea to start sending your book out with the idea that everyone is going to reject it anyway. Many new authors get published every year. If your book is good enough, why shouldn't you be one of them? Also what agents and publishers are looking for changes over time. If you "get it over with" all at once, you may miss your window of opportunity.

No, among all the submissions they read they won't remember your name at all unless they really like what they've seen -- unless your manuscript was a near miss. Don't count on building name recognition through the rejection process.

Teresa's completely right about that. Make sure your work is so polished it shines and THEN start submitting, but always follow the rules. If two publishers like it, after taking the time to read through it, pass it on to others who might also read through it, and discuss it in an editorial meeting, just to find out that they wasted their time because you accepted with the other, you'll be burning some bridges awful fast. From hanging around on publisher forums and writing forums, I can say that they don't like that.

Take the time to edit the ms thoroughly and follow the guidelines. Be professional.

Also, while agents and editors may ask for exclusivity on submissions, they do expect that writers query more than one at a time. Only on the actual ms submissions do you need to worry about the no simultaneous subs guidelines.

No; don't worry. That's a really good site. Lots of people there are either agented or have publishers. There are authors who post on there who have a good number of titles to their name.

I second this.
I spent more time there than I do here