Now you can visit Kirk's birthplace

LOL. That's funny. You can't blame them for trying.

That's not Canon: "I'm from Iowa, I only work in outer space," said Kirk in 'The Voyage Home'.

Riverside, Iowa, sounds a little sad if it has nothing else going for it - no giant balls of string, giant coffee pots, toy robot museums, or shoe trees?

The future birth place of a fictional character. Gotta love the desperation of money and reflected fame.

I shall be summering in the fictional city of New London on the Moon. Visitors welcome.

That's awesome! I'd love to go to their TrekFest this summer. It looks fun, and clearly they go all-out. :) Unfortunately I'm not in the area, but maybe I can use my transporter technology which can beam me halfway across the planet... ;)

Opens up a whole new industry - I'm sure that the other members of the cast deserve their own future-home-town commemorations...:p

Aw, and here I was looking forward to a 'Being John Malcovich' kind of trip into Rodenberry's head where Kirk was really born.

Now that, I would totally pay for.

I've just seen the new J J Abrams 'Star Trek'. Spoilers follow, though not huge ones and I doubt they will spoil your enjoyment, but the thing is... well, how do you break this to Riverside?

spoiler
The new film features an alternative past in which history was altered. James Tiberius Kirk was now born in space! Not in Iowa anymore!