Looking for research ideas for a sci-fi/mystery script.

Swanky Yankie

Hello everyone! I'm currently brainstorming ideas for a Blade Runner-esque script. Totally amateur; not intending to publish. This is more exercise and hobbying for me.

I'm looking for sources of research and inspiration in the following categories:

Crime Investigation/30's Detective Noir.
Artificial Intelligence--in particular AI that mimics human behavior and AI that can create other AI and/or self-replicate.
Genetics, in particular human cloning and genetic manipulation/enhancement. The crazier the better.
Civilian applications of advanced technology and its impact on human social development.
The role religion plays in society.
Futuristic cities--in particular distopian type mega-cities.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

ANyone who wants to write, must read, read, read, and read some more. The ideas will come to you. As far as research, try the library, or online mags for shorter works.

Asimov - crime, AI
Crichton - techno-social dev
Gaiman's Amrican Gods books
Ayn Rand books

Ralan.com for links to online mags

I agree that Asimov is one of the best regarding AI and psichology, he was always bending around his laws of robotics. The categories you list have little in common, but if I had to choose I'd go for the AI/genetic thing, altough this has already been used many times. Altough if you are only writing as a hobbie, it doesn't matter you do so about something thas has already been writen. I mean, AI and genetics to make supersoldiers is a very used idea specially for action movies (Van Damme in universal soldier, for instance). Terminator has the AI becoming intelligent and self replicating, but you could get away from those hollywood themes and write something like a self replicating organism sent to earth to consume it (by an other evil alien race or something, you choose). The reason is also up to you, envy, hate, need of earth's resources, etc. The "machine" could be fairly intelligent and learn from humans and then use their tech against themselves, for example.
I don't know, this is just an idea, but it might get you started on a better idea of our own.

ANyone who wants to write, must read, read, read, and read some more. The ideas will come to you. As far as research, try the library, or online mags for shorter works.

Asimov - crime, AI
Crichton - techno-social dev
Gaiman's Amrican Gods books
Ayn Rand books

Ralan.com for links to online mags

I totally agree! I would add strangehorizons

Back