April's Amazing Adventures in Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might have to try Zelazny, I need a lot of books to read heh.

It was 'Empress' by Karen Miller. I suppose I picked it up lightly in the chance it was good, but it wasn't any good at all.

Oddly enough, it's the first time for Guards! Guards!, and I loved it. I'm reading them as I find them, rather than in order, but it's not diminishing the experience for me.:)

I'm currently reading Pratchett's Soul Music, and it's pretty good so far.
I've just started my first read of Lords and Ladies, didn't realise I'd never read it before until after I picked up a charity shop copy recently.
And little Tommy Covenant is shaping up nicely so far too

Thanks for the warning then.

Frankly, the longer you hang around this forum the more books you'll end up buying new or second hand and the more you'll learn about the Genre as I know I did.

Cheers....

Yeah, I've often found a good book on a recommendation from here. Teaches me to pick up books at random! Sometimes that has paid off, but it's not worth the risk when actually paying for a book...

Currently reading The Warrior Prophet by R. Scott Bakker.

After the whirlwind that was The Darkness That Comes Before I kind of feel like the pace has slowed to about nothing. I'm just over 100 pages in and have gone from eagerly reading chapter after chapter to forcing myself to slug through it. Hopefully it'll improve.

(Got behind on this thread, and am catching up!;))

7 Donaldson's, AW? Which ones? That's lots and lots of words no one else uses....;)

Feel like kicking myself in the head, cause I'm still reading the same book I started back in December. Not even a single page in March, and I really was enjoying the book to boot. Not enough time, too much work and moving house do not a happy book reader make...
And mask it if you want to, Perp, but having a baby changes EVERYTHING....don't worry, it only gets worse as far as book time goes, at least until they're old enough that you can begin inflicting your SFF preferences on them at bed time:D

Heh. My dad always used to read to me, especially as I was a late starter learning to read myself. When I was about 7, I still couldn't read a word. Anyway, he was reading me Lord of the Rings. Every so often though he'd seem to stop.. it used to annoy me a lot but now I realise he kept falling asleep.. eventually I got so frustrated that I took the book out of his hands and read it (the majority of Lord of the Rings). Not entirley sure how I learnt to read by reading LOTR...

Ah, but given that you mastered it, you have to admit it sure beats "See Spot Run....Run Spot, Run!*.....;)

Yes. I sometiems wodner if it was the duolness of such books that kept me from learning to read for so long. I ahve thsi bizarre gap in my reading, because I neevr really read books for young children, (apart from some that were read to me), because I couldnt' read then, and started with Lord of the Rings. I didnt' read teh Narnia books til I was a teenager and catchign up with the chidlren's books I'd missed. The first books I can remember reading were LOTR and Jane Eyre.

Yeah, I've often found a good book on a recommendation from here. Teaches me to pick up books at random! Sometimes that has paid off, but it's not worth the risk when actually paying for a book...

You should try bookmooch.com. I got loads of new reads from there that would have been hard to find elsewhere!

Read Jasper Fforde "The Fourth Bear" - 2nd in the Nursery Crime series. Wonderful. One of those books where you come up for air and realise you are already more than half way through. Really glad I had a day off to devote to it.

The Stars Down Under, Sandra McDonald. 2nd part in a series - Read the first part last year which was "Outback Stars". Aboriginal myths form the central core of this science fiction series - very well done too. Not too heavy in myths - as in they are important to the story, but not laboured. This is set in a future with space travel, which also has these strange alien artefacts, so it is about the day to day life on what are supposed to be routine passenger-carrying space runs and investigations of what the alien artefacts do. Characters are very convincing. Read Outback Stars last year (when ill) and remember it as being good but slightly new writer-ish in places (but that might be me struggling with being ill). The Stars Down Under didn't quite go down in one gulp, but I found myself thinking, "ooh, half an hour spare, I'll read some more" picked it up, and then remembered I'd finished. :(

Now on Charles de Lint, "Forests of the Heart". Back off to sit in the sun with that one.

My brother had handed me North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.

We agreed with each other that if he will read my faveorite book (Anna Karenina) I will read his (War and Peace).

Finished Midnight Tides. I was planning on taking a break from Erikson but with the way it ended I can't. So I've started reading The Bonehunters. It will be nice to follow characters already introduced in earlier books again.

I just finished Small Favor. Wow! That was one of the best ones so far.

Now I think I'll launch myself into The Drawing of the Darkness

I just finished Small Favor. Wow! That was one of the best ones so far.

Now I think I'll launch myself into The Drawing of the Darkness

Hey thats The Drawing of the Dark ;)

My favorite Tim Powers book so far. Im glad you started with it of your book hauls. Let us TP fans know your thoughts when you are finished.

Hey thats The Drawing of the Dark ;)

My favorite Tim Powers book so far. Im glad you started with it of your book hauls. Let us TP fans know your thoughts when you are finished.

So it is :eek: and so I will. I have high expectations of it, since I enjoyed The Anubis Gates so much.

So it is :eek: and so I will. I have high expectations of it, since I enjoyed The Anubis Gates so much.

I prefer The Anubis Gates overall, be interested to see what you think ... perhaps it will inspire a re-read of Drawing.

Read Glen Cook's - Bitter Cold Hearts. 3rd Garret PI book, quite enjoyable series, but IMO not really up there with his darker, grittier fantasy

Currently reading Neil Gaiman's - Graveyard Book as part of a yearly "read the Hugo nominee's" thing. Somewhat reluctantly*, enjoying it so far.

*Never been a Gaiman fan, found the Sandman almost insufferably pretentious and both American Gods and Anansi Boys rather dull. I did like Good Omens though...

I'm confident you'll enjoy Servant of the Empire ratsy, have you got all three books lined up? Also if you've not already read her work, it will probably give you an appreciation for Janny Wurts books. Many people belive that the empire trilogy is Feist's best publication, these same people largely put the improvements down to JW's influence. Enjoy !

I do have all of the Empire books bought and on my shelf...I did really enjoy the first one and the first couple hundred pages of the second. I can see that Wurts has a lot of influence over the story. I will try to find some stand alone Janny Wurts books when I am done. I think she would be a great author with her own settings as well.

Re-re-re-re-re-re-(etc ad infinitum) of Misery by Stephen King. It's familiar, reading King and his style of writing (having done so for about a decade now). It's like listening to an old friend talk.

I do have all of the Empire books bought and on my shelf...I did really enjoy the first one and the first couple hundred pages of the second. I can see that Wurts has a lot of influence over the story. I will try to find some stand alone Janny Wurts books when I am done. I think she would be a great author with her own settings as well.

If you want to read Janny Wurts in her own setting without committing to a series The Master of Whitestorm is a very good stand alone book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back