Wind-Powered Car Catches up with Mallard

Discussion in 'Science / Nature' started by Ursa major, Mar 28, 2009.

Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

In fact, this car may even have been slightly faster, reaching 202.9 kmph compared to Mallard's 202.77 kmph (based on 126 mph dead).
    Saeltari

Saeltari Druid Trainer

Hah! :D

Seriously I saw the title and thought you were talking about a duck. The car caught up with a duck, I was interested. I was thinking a car, powered by wind, up in the air, catches up to a duck...

Its almost noon, must still be too early for me. :rolleyes::p:D
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Rumours of a bipolar bear sitting on the roof and punning furiously are, as yet, unconfirmed.
    Tillane

Tillane Left-minded

You mean you haven't seen the video? You should visit YouTube more often...

Actually, no. You really shouldn't.:p
    Ursa major

* Ducks the uncalled-for criticism. *

Given all the pun-filled posts I've done, it's bizarre that I'm accused of punning when I'm not - not until the previous paragraph, anyway.

(Frankly, if one hasn't heard of the A4 Pacific, Mallard, and doesn't know that it still holds the record for the fastest steam locomotive - a record that's 71 years old later this year - one's education is sadly lacking. But then I'm biased.)
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Course I know about the, 'Mallard." It was just that given the starter of this thread, I couldn't resist.
    Tillane

Tillane Left-minded

Having spent six months working for a heritage railway, I do of course know about the Mallard. Unfortunately, I also know rather more than I'd like about a certain steam loco called Thomas...:(

Back on topic, that really is a remarkable speed for the car. Kinda pointless, given it'll only use it on a race track, etc, but cool nonetheless.
    Ursa major

Sorry, gents: I wasn't accusing you of not knowing, or anyone else in particular, actually. (And it never crossed my mind that you two didn't know.)
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

That would need to be a very straight race track!

I have an image now of wind-powered cars tacking and beating around a racing circuit.
    pyan

pyan Fortiter et recte! Staff Member

At those speeds? Wow, I hope someone takes up the idea...it would be really spectacular, yachting at Touring Car speeds...:D
    Nik

Nik Speaker to Cats

Long, long ago, I came across a monograph called 'The 40 kt Sailboat'. It suggested a canted wing-sail, opposed immersed water foil etc etc, and was roundly criticised as absurd.

Just out of curiosity, I checked: The record now exceeds 50 kts...
    Vestas SailRocket: Outright World Speed Sailing Record Attempt
    Ursa major

I think that boat may be a little wide to allow easy overtaking.
    chrispenycate

chrispenycate resident pedantissimo Staff Member

I'm rather hoping to be offered a ride on the Hydroptère, the sailing boat with hydrofoils that lifts itself clean out of the water with a bit of wind, ad holds a fair number of sailing speed records.

After all, I've done enough work on their films.
    Saeltari

Saeltari Druid Trainer

Mr. Bear,

How dare you kast azperjions upon my edgeucashion!!! ;)

Can you read the Odyssey to me in Homeric Greek right now, without a translation? If not then I throw the aspersions back at you! (don't worry, I have terrible aim) :p:D

Talking about cars, locomotives and their relation to speed and you should talk to my brother, he loves that stuff. I know enough to take my car to the shop... and I can keep it on the road when going 180.
    Ursa major

Perhaps I was half suggesting that if the record holder had been, say, one of those CMStP&P Class A Atlantics, more people may have heard of it (which may say a lot more about we here in the UK than about ... er ... other people).

As for reading about Odysseus, I have trouble with some Greek characters. :rolleyes:
    Saeltari

Saeltari Druid Trainer

..... was that a pun? :eek:

:D
    Saeltari

Saeltari Druid Trainer

Ursa major

Thanks, Saeltari. (I like the pictures with that story.)

I wonder whether they'll stick :)rolleyes:) with wheels or skates/skis. (The current powered record is held by a normal car, with power delivered by the wheels, so it couldn't use skates/whatever.)