SciFi BC Suggestions for April

Discussion in 'Book Club' started by dwndrgn, Mar 22, 2005.

dwndrgn

dwndrgn Fierce Vowelless One Staff Member

Suggest a SciFi title for the April discussion.
    Jayaprakash Satyamurthy

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy Knivesout no more

But of course! I'll repeat Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow.

Here's the summary:

The good news is, Doctorow lets you download the book free, here: http://craphound.com/down/download.php

The book has also been published traditionally, by Tor.
    Leto

Leto Outside

Th World inside by Robert Silverberg
    NSMike

NSMike Tsurani Great One

I'll throw in Nightfall by Asimov and Silverberg. It's an extension of the Asimov short story. Very good reading. I loved it.
    Winters_Sorrow

Winters_Sorrow Unreg. Mutant Moderator Staff Member

Nightfall - good choice!

My suggestion would be "The Praxis" by Walter Jon Williams - quick precis below:

The empire of the Shaa lasted 10,000 years. Years of terror, infinite violence and oppressive, brutal order. Now the Shaa are no more, but the terror and violence are only beginning...
    And so began the war between the Naxids, oldest client race of the Shaa, who believed themselves inheritors of the empire, and a frail alliance of other races, including humanity. As the empire expanded, through wormholes which crossed both space and time, the Shaa formulated The Praxis, a harsh ethic which they imposed on those they conquered. But it could also serve as a cloak for insurrection...
    stencyl

stencyl Geek Squad

I'll nominate 20,000 Leagues or any other book by Verne. Someone nominated it last month, too. :)
    mazikos44

mazikos44 New Member

The Winged Assassin by Catherine Cooke
    Rane Longfox

Rane Longfox Red Rane

Neal Asher - The Skinner
    dwndrgn

dwndrgn Fierce Vowelless One Staff Member

Princess Ivy nominated both Brave New World and 1984 over in the fantasy club thread so I'll add them here. That makes 8 titles which is a goodly number to choose from (The Winged Assassin is considered fantasy so I've added it to the fantasy list). No more suggestions for this month - stop by the poll and choose which one you'd like to read.