Sixth Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy book due in October

Werthead

Lemming of Discord
The sixth Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy novel, And Another Thing, will be released on 12 October 2009, or eight and a half years after Douglas Adams' death and 30 years after the publication of the original novel. The new novel is written by Eoin Colfer, author of the Artemis Fowl series.

colfer-another.jpg

As a 'tribute' to Douglas Adams for the 30th anniversary celebrations (although the series itself is older than that, dating back to the radio play of a year earlier), this could have been quite interesting.

As a direct continuation of the series, however, I am less happy. There are situations where the author passes away in the middle of writing an extensive, serialised story. In these circumstances, with the narrative left unfinished, it is understandable that another author can be brought to finish the story. If the original author is aware of their illness, they can prepare notes and give their blessing ahead of time. Robert Jordan did this for Brandon Sanderson's conclusion of the Wheel of Time, and David Gemmell did this for his wife Stella to finish the Troy trilogy.

For a separate author to come in eight years after the first writer's death and brazenly write a new book in the first author's series is another matter. Yes, Adams' widow has given the project her blessing and yes, we know Adams regretted ending the fifth book, Mostly Harmless, the way he did and planned to one day write a sixth volume. But it still feels rather dubious, and the motives of the publisher are open to question (as they were with the Amber books of a few years ago and with the new Dune books now).

I'm sure it will be a success and Colfer is one of the very few authors who is even vaguely capable of matching Adams' style (the only other ones who could come close for me would be Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett and Rob Grant), but it still leaves a vaguely uneasy feeling of an author's work being mined without his permission purely for profit.

Sorry, the word that comes to mind is exploitation - I've read and enjoyed the Artemis Fowl books, and it's difficult to see what Eoin Colfer thinks he's going to gain from doing this (apart from the possible pecuniary reasons), risking his reputation when he has had such success with his own characters...

This seems a bit shoddy, actually. Quite different from farming out James Bond to different writers.

Adams had a very unique style and it was that personae that appealed to his readers.

We're writing a blog-based serial hypernovel right now that has drawn nice comments and comparison from Adams' fans, but we wouldn't attempt to try to do something in his style.

I'll get this out of loyalty.

I will not get this out of loyalty to Adams. I dont want to see his greatest work being exploited,be used. I dont want to touch it.

Its not regular piece fiction. Its a great humor piece. You cant copy humor.

I will not get this out of loyalty to Adams. I dont want to see his greatest work being exploited,be used. I dont want to touch it.

Its not regular piece fiction. Its a great humor piece. You cant copy humor.

No, you can't. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't be funny. I'm sure his estate will also look into the best interests of the story.

Anyway, it's not Adam's work that's being exploited, it's us.

No, you can't. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't be funny. I'm sure his estate will also look into the best interests of the story.

Anyway, it's not Adam's work that's being exploited, it's us.

His estate ? They care only about making more money. Im sure his family didnt come up with this, but his publisher or who ever has the rights to his series. Its not like Robert Jordan long series needing a finish. Its an old,completed work.

We are not being exploited because we have self control enough to see what it is.

We are not being exploited because we have self control enough to see what it is.

Even so, I don't know if I have enough self control to resist the urge to buy it, just to sate my curiousity.

Even so, I don't know if I have enough self control to resist the urge to buy it, just to sate my curiousity.

Wait until your local library gets a copy; at least then only the local taxpayers will be being exploited (apart from Adams's reputation).

Wait until your local library gets a copy; at least then only the local taxpayers will be being exploited (apart from Adams's reputation).

Talk about it today on our main library i saw the news that you will be able to borrow newest video games.
What does that have anything to with books,reading,library ? Heck it works against the point of a library. Since many kids never read when video game is the easier choice.

I thought having the trashy bestsellers in the library was waste of money. Now the library are working for another medium.

Eoin Colfer's Hitchhiker book, And Another Thing, is the Book at Bedtime** on Radio Four, starting on Moday 12th at 22:45 BST; there are ten episodes. The book is "read by Stephen Mangan, with Peter Serafinowicz", to quote the BBC website.

** - For those who don't know, this is a fifteen minute slot throughout the working week (Mon-Fri). Books may last one or more weeks. (With ten episodes, And Another Thing will last two weeks.)

In spite of reviews and the bad taste it may leave behind, I'll purchase the latest installment. Let's face it, Adams finished the series horribly, as if it were one big "screw you folks".

I would love to see a continuation of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency... and a movie, damn it.

His estate ? They care only about making more money. Im sure his family didnt come up with this, but his publisher or who ever has the rights to his series.

His family (or whoever he has designated as his heirs -- James Barrie left the rights to Peter Pan to a childen's hospital) own the rights to his characters and any other unique parts of the books. His publishers will only have the rights to the specific books he sold them, and those rights will be limited by the original contract.

Probably the publishers did come up with the idea, but if this is indeed a continuation of his story they will have been obliged to consult his heirs.

If, however, the only relationship to the original books is the title, they don't have to consult anyone, because titles aren't copyright.

I'll still be getting this. I cannot imagine that his heirs or his publishers or the author would wish to kill this cash cow by releasing a poor book. I for one, have high hopes. :)

This is everything I dislike about book publishing and film making industry.

I certainly wont be reading this next 'instalment'.

There's a wealth of new talent out there desperate for discovery and all the creative arts producers can do is latch on old ideas. If fairness to the heirs, they are following in the Adams' footsteps, who in my opinion should have stopped at forty two.

In this regard I'm redirecting a quarter of my monkeys (who are getting a bit bored) to stop work on the search for the elixir of life, to start immediately on Shakespeare's' new play. It's another line of succession/ comedy of errors/ jealous spouse/ tragedy play, about the wife of a royal prince who dies young after she discoverers the prince is in love with another.

Another quarter will be busy making a set stuffed toy animals and working on story lines about a lad who plays with them in a woods.