Do you find that you have to read?

Add another for 'yes'.

I tend to get unhappy if I don't read at least a little bit each day. Usually, I read on my lunch break. I usually read for a little bit after work, but then I stop to make dinner. But if I'm making something that I have to stand around and wait for, I read while I'm waiting. I will read at night if there's nothing on TV, or we don't have a movie to watch. But I also read during commercial breaks as well. Depending on how tired I am, I also read before going to bed. Like others here, that can keep me up much later than I planned. If I had a dime for every time I said 'Just one more chapter.....' :D

And a perfect example - both of the general theme and of my own occasional dullness. I got home somewhat later tonight than I usually would, having missed my stop on the metro. I had my nose so deeply buried in my book, I didn't even notice until I realised I was halfway to Sunderland...:rolleyes:

I'm going to go against the crowd here and say no. Don't get me wrong, I love to read. However, there are many days where I don't end up reading at all - if I feel like it, I'll read. If not, I won't.

I don't need to spend every spare moment reading nor do I read everyday. But I do NOT read because I have nothing better to do. I make time to read, make plans to read. I'll be getting up tomorrow morning (Friday is my day off) before 5:30 am so I can get to the coffee shop by 6:00 where I'll read and drink coffee for about an hour and a half. My wife and I go out for coffee and a long read about every other evening. However if my reading time is interrupted too often by friends who "join" me because they've got nothing else to do I get really annoyed. I don't read as often as some but my reading time is sacroscant.

yes, I can't sleep if I don't read. My eyes constantly search for something to read. I even read the ingredients and calorie information on packets, not because I'm interested in the nutritional value but if its written I need to read it

Yep, I'm addicted to books. Since I started reading over a year and a half ago there hasn't been a day that I haven't read from a book. Of course there have been days where I'm so busy I get maybe 10 pages read and that's it. It usually annoys me and I just have half my mind thinking about getting back to my book. Addictions can be troublesome. Not that I want to get rid of my book addiction anyways.

I absolutely have to read. It is a prerequisite for my existence.

Yup.

I think the only days I did not read were those I was sick or those that I spent the majority of in cars ( I can't read without getting sick in cars at all - but I have more than once tried it anyway ;) ).

The rest of my days are reading.
I read on the train to the city ( and back home ) and in the buses on my way to university or work. And on my breakes.
I often feel like some kind of turtle, since I often have working clothes, university stuff and one or two books ( +/- magazines ) stuffed into my backpack.

I also tend to be very ... unbiased if I find myself in the situation of having nothing good to read:
I read the german equivalent of The Sun (in terms of quality and credibility ) since a copy of it often lies in the breakroom. It prevents me from dirtying my books while eating. :p
In times of literary drought I've even read dime novels with such promising titles as "Longing for Theodora" and the like, which I inherited from my older sister. Or my mom' s gossip - magazines. Or the TV Guide. Or the teletext. :eek:

original by ratsy

Then I always make time at home to read my "home" book. These are usually the 600-1000 pagers that would take me forever at work. I sometimes sit on the kitchen countertops and read while I cook or concede the remote to my wife and of course I have a book beside me when I do that.

I applaud your ability to read and cook at the same time.
I once wanted to cook an instant soup. I put the water on the stove to heat, then picked up my novel while waiting for it to boil. The next time I looked up, there was only a film of water left in the pot. The rest had gone to gather at the windows, obviously to enjoy the view outside. :rolleyes:

I usually get a half hour of reading time during my work day. I find that if I have a day off of work and I don't end up reading, then I miss it. Especially if I'm reading a really good book.

I seriously can't remember the last time I didn't read in a 24 hour period. Of course the responses on this post aren't suprising considering this is a book forum site.

I always have to have a book to go to bed with. Even when I have had a few drinks, I pick up my book, try not to wake up the missus beside me and read - usually with only one eye open as the words blur a little with 2 eyes at that point :p