What Historical Fiction are you reading?

I saw TUCK in a bookstore the other day and nearly bought it before finding it was part of a trilogy. That said though i was in doubt as i'd read Lawhead before, I've got two of his 'templar' books (i think one of the was called BLACK ROOD or something?) about a secret society i think, anyway i struggled with the second book and dropped the series due them being overly religious in my opinion. After that I have'nt been near any of his work.
This series does sound interesting though (especially being set in Wales:D) and i'm now tempted to take a look.

Your criticism about being overly religious is perhaps understandable, but you are judging an historical novel based on todays' ideals. Religion was EVERYTHING in those times. Faith, belief and superstition wound together in a cord that strangled everything, and Lawhead does a really good job of pointing that out. The Church was not just a religious institution, but wielded real and very heavy political power. One of Lawhead's main themes in his medieval books is the hypocrisy of the Church, and the contrast between evil churchmen and genuine Christian priests (such as Tuck). Any historical novel of medieval Europe that does not contain a heavy component of religion is blatantly un-historical, and really, is misleading, because it was a major part of European history.

King Raven
is really brisk and a lot of fun, and the main thrust of the story is not religious, but it is rather the efforts of Rhi Bran Hud and his band of followers trying to gain justice for their people, and in the end, how that story morphed into Robin Hood and his Merry Men.

Your criticism about being overly religious is perhaps understandable, but you are judging an historical novel based on todays' ideals. Religion was EVERYTHING in those times. Faith, belief and superstition wound together in a cord that strangled everything, and Lawhead does a really good job of pointing that out. The Church was not just a religious institution, but wielded real and very heavy political power. One of Lawhead's main themes in his medieval books is the hypocrisy of the Church, and the contrast between evil churchmen and genuine Christian priests (such as Tuck). Any historical novel of medieval Europe that does not contain a heavy component of religion is blatantly un-historical, and really, is misleading, because it was a major part of European history.

King Raven is really brisk and a lot of fun, and the main thrust of the story is not religious, but it is rather the efforts of Rhi Bran Hud and his band of followers trying to gain justice for their people, and in the end, how that story morphed into Robin Hood and his Merry Men.

I agree that religion and the church was everything in those days and in other books i've read it has never been a problem, but with those two books i think i just got a bit annoyed with the overly oppressive view of the church that for me took over from the story.

I plan to read Bleak House soon.

I have the recent BBC television adaptation with Gillian Anderson as Lady Deadlock, and Charles Dance as the lawyer Tulkinghorn. Great series! In fact, Dance's performance as the powerful and manipulative (evil) lawyer made me think that he would be perfect as Lord Tywin Lannister in the HBO series of G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.

Bleak House is on by TBR list.

The Gun by C.S Forester about Napoleon peninsular war.

Not a navy story. I have also The Captain from Connecticut by same author. But im not in a rush to read about an American Navy Captain in 1812 war against the British.

Decided to read Dissolution, by C.J. Sansom instead of Pargeter's Heaven Tree Trilogy.

I'm really enjoying it, and looking forward to reading the other three books in Sansom's Matthew Shardlake series, Dark Fire, Sovereign, and Revelation.

Just started "The Tower" by our favorite Italian, Valerio Massimo Manfredi!! High hopes as love alot of his other work, although it feels by chapter 4, almost like a Dan Brown "Da Vinci Codesque book!!" which has thrown me a touch! Fingers crossed though.

I just finished The Trout Opera, and I wouldn't call it historical fiction as much as just an insight into Australian life. It was really good though, and the ending was brilliant.

Just finished FIRE AND SWORD by Simon Scarrow, REALLY enjoyed it, like the first two books and SS keeps the story running at a good pace and with characters like Napoleon and Wellesley you can't really go wrong. Never realised just how much of a genius Napoleon was and the achievements of both men are astounding. Can't wait for the next (final?) book of the series which covers the decline of Napoleon.

Now onto KING OF ITHACA, by Glyn Iliffe, a take on the Odyseus legend, started well so fingers crossed.

Recently finished Dissolution, by C.J. Sansom - the first in his Matthew Shardlake series - now I'm reading the second book in the series, Dark Fire.

They're truly great Historical Mysteries, set during the reign of Henry VIII.

All lovers of historical fiction, I heartily recommend Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series. Set in the British Navy during the Napoleonic wars, following the trials, tribulations, adventures, disasters and unlikely friendship of two men - sea-captain Aubrey, and Irish-Catalan physician and naturalist Maturin.

The series begins with "Master and Commander" and goes on forever, or so you wish once you get hooked. The research is exhaustive and completely convincing, the writing beautiful, historically accurate and highly evocative (I swear I could smell the sea at times while reading) and the characterisation masterful. Full of the observation of life, from the wry to the tragic and heartwrenching to the absurd and laugh-out-loud, these books are true jewels - just like life.

Couldn't agree more. I just finished The Fortune of War. I'm taking them in order. Hard to believe, but they keep getting better. Next up, The Surgeon's Mate.

I am now reading "Fingersmith" by Sarah Waters. I read Affinity, Fingersmith and The Night Watch in Dutch. After I've finished the original version of Fingersmith, the Dutch version of Tipping the Velvet is waiting for me.
Sarah Waters is definitely my favourite historic author!

I am currently re-reading "Flashman" by George MacDonald Fraser. I read the entire series several years ago. I ran a cross a copy of "Flashman" the other day and picked it up and haven't been able to put it back down. I will probably try to find the entire series and re-read them all. The "Flashman" series is one of the most amusing series of books I have ever read.

I am currently re-reading "Flashman" by George MacDonald Fraser. I read the entire series several years ago. I ran a cross a copy of "Flashman" the other day and picked it up and haven't been able to put it back down. I will probably try to find the entire series and re-read them all. The "Flashman" series is one of the most amusing series of books I have ever read.

I'm sure someone has recommended 'Flashman' to me in the past (tho I can't find the post), I think it was Flashman at the charge? about the charge of the light brigade?
How many books are there about Flashman and which would you recommend

All of them!

There's 12 in total:

• Flashman
  • Royal Flash
  • Flash for Freedom!
  • Flashman at the Charge
  • Flashman in the Great Game
  • Flashman's Lady
  • Flashman and the Redskins
  • Flashman and the Dragon
  • Flashman and the Mountain of Light
  • Flashman and the Angel of the Lord
  • Flashman and the Tiger
  • Flashman on the March

The best three, IMHO, are Redskins, Dragon, and Mountain of Light, if only for the sheer volume of historical detail and reference to events and people of the era.

There's a good page on Wiki about the character, refreshingly spoiler-free..

Flashman

Thanks for the info Pyan, Flashman does look like a series i would be interested in, made me smile just reading the wiki page. I love the idea of the heroic coward.

My sister in law has sent me a number of Jean Plaidy books, think they are mainly set around the Tudors. I will get around to reading them but if anyone has any feedback on what she is like I'd like to hear

George MacDonald Fraser's The Pyrates is really good too. It's kind of a send-up of all things "Piratey".

I've got his Mr. American, and The General Danced at Dawn on my TBR pile.

I agree with Pyan that you should read all the "Flashman" books. My favorite however is the first one, "Flashman".

Back