Web page error-seems to be on Chrons only.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Karn Maeshalanadae, Jan 28, 2009.

Karn Maeshalanadae

Karn Maeshalanadae Why?

Does anyone know what to do about the web page error "Object Expected"? It's only affecting Chrons for me here.....The typical description: Line --- (It's all over the place-currently 172, but it's been at 62, 90, all over.)Char: 2Error: Object ExpectedCode: 0
    sloweye

sloweye Lord Shaman.

The site has been crashing and running slow at times for the last 2 days, the time slip yesterday for example. dont know if that might have anything to do with it mate:confused:
    Karn Maeshalanadae

Karn Maeshalanadae Why?

I don't know, slow. It wasn't affecting anyone else. And it prevented me from posting on the forum or sending any PMs.
    Saeltari

Saeltari Druid Trainer

The last couple of days it has been fairly slow for me too every little bit and I have gotten the "page can not be displayed" error several times, but other sites work fine, so I know it is not my pc or connection. I was wondering what was going on too.
    Karn Maeshalanadae

Karn Maeshalanadae Why?

Well, yeah, that's happened to me a couple times, but do you also get the error I did, Sael? The one that prevents putting anything in the forums?
    Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

Various bits of script have appeared at the bottom of the page (or, rather, the last part of the page apparently sent to the browser).
    Karn Maeshalanadae

Karn Maeshalanadae Why?

See, Ursa, I'm not understanding what that is, or how to go about fixing it. :( I'm not a programmer.
    sloweye

sloweye Lord Shaman.

See, it just crashed again for me. my browser just tells me to check the address and try again.
    Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

It crashed for me, just after I'd typed something along the lines of:

"I'm not sure that we need to fix it at our, the reader's, end."

in response to Manarion's post, which then failed to post.
    Saeltari

Saeltari Druid Trainer

I don't get the error that you are talking about Manarion but I do find that the reply section at the end isn't always showing up for me. I can see the posts but don't have the option to reply.
    Happy Joe

Happy Joe New Member

For the last 3 -4 days Chrons has been unavailable in the local afternoon (rocky mountain time zone) (late night on you side of the pond ~4:00 PM here, 11:00 PM there).
    The web page times out and a "web page unavailable " message appears ... I figured the site was being pulled down for maintenance or something.

Enjoy!
    J-Sun

J-Sun Active Member

Shouldn't this be in the 'Feedback' forum? I started to report it to get it moved, but it says to report only spam and the like. Still, seems like it might get more/faster admin response there.

-- Oh, but on topic: I saw something similar, myself, but my ISP is constantly screwing with me and these have been an extra-special couple of days :rolleyes: so I was pretty sure it was just me. The site's seemed fine before and is okay today.
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

I've moved this to Feedback and will ask Brian to look at it.

Dave
    Overread

Overread Direwolf of the chrons

just crashed down again :(
    its getting scary round here!
    HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Iago with a Blackberry

Yes, the crashes are getting as regular as pre-server move days...
    sloweye

sloweye Lord Shaman.

*looks suspisiously at OR*

You were down that slope, where no one could see you!
    Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

Apologies for the issues, folks - a business website on the same server as chrons was being hit with a huge DDoS attack. A DDoS attack is where a server is flooded with useless information with the intention of crippling it.

In this instance, someone decided to turn a 9,000 machine botnet against the other site, and then I received anonymous blackmail demands for payment to stop them.

I'm genuinely sorry I didn't come into chrons to give a heads up, but the attacks were specifically set up against the other domain, and I was fighting hard most of the week to keep it online and get the DDoS traffic filtered out so that chrons and other sites on the server would stay up (most of which are the income generating websites that pay for chrons!!).

The situation only now seems resolved, and was covered by The Register yesterday:
    Techwatch weathers DDoS extortion attack • The Register

Agai, I'm really sorry for not keeping everyone up to date, but it was very extraordinary circumstances - never faced a DDoS attack of this scale before, nor been blackmailed before!!
    sloweye

sloweye Lord Shaman.

Well it's sparked a adventure for those in the SM Brian so some good has come of it:D

Cheers
    Overread

Overread Direwolf of the chrons

Thanks for all your work on this Brian :)
    sounds like you deserve a good break and to put your feet up for a moment :)
    Karn Maeshalanadae

Karn Maeshalanadae Why?

He certainly has. :) Brian's better than best. :D