Discovered Authors 2009

I've just recently bought a new book (it's being imported from the States so I have to wait for it) by a local author, it's called The Red Stone and it's by Craig Smith.

It has received nothing but positive ratings, most of them being 5-stars. :)

February was a good month for trying new fantasy authors for me.

Paul Kearney
Brandon Sanderson

I was happy with both and will keep reading their books. Specially Kearney was a real talent to read many more books of in the near future.

What'd you read of Sanderson? I read Elantris on break and was pretty disappointed with it... it was rather on the boring side.

Charlie Huston - Just about to start the 3rd of his Joe Pitt novels ... vampire "PI" novels with a distinct New York mob story (Goodfellows, The Sapranno's) undertone. Short, gripping, fun. Book 2 kept me up till about 3am to finish it :)

Charlie Huston for me too. I read the first of his noir books, Caught Stealing, a few weeks back and I loved it. It's ridiculously over the top violent, but it was a fun ride. Very much like a Quentin Tarantino flick. I've got the rest of that trilogy lined up on my shelf now, then I may move on to the Joe Pitt books which have come highly recommended.

I'll also add Robin Hobb. I fizzled out on Tad Williams, it just moves way too slow for me and none of the characters are particularly engaging to me. But Assassin's Apprentice was excellent I thought. Very quick, smooth read. Hobb gets such rave reviews and so far they are deserved.

Lawrence Block - The Burglar Who... series.

The main character, Bernie Rhodenbarr, owns a antiquarian bookshop in New York but never really wants sell any of the books. He is also a retired burglar who keeps getting persuaded to use his burgling skills to help someone out and ending up in trouble.

Excellent writing, fast and funny stories.

I can't agree more, mo. I almost forgot how much fun I had reading the Burglar Who books a few years back!:D Bernie Rhodenbarr is adorable. Must re read them some day. His Matt Scudder series is also pretty good.

Having thoroughly enjoyed The Blade Itself (I'm still waiting for Waterstones to order me Before They Are Hanged. Grr.), I'll add my name to those who have discovered Joe Abercrombie this year. Better late than never, says I.;)

Another non-SFF author to be added: Carl Hiaasen. The two novels of his that I've read (Skin Tight and Skinny Dip) have been darkly comic and a lot of fun.

Sherwood Smith's books Inda and his 2nd book in the same series
The Fox
I really enjoyed these two books. The political intrigue caught
my attention and kept me reading with pleasure

I've just spent the past week reading The Chaosgate trilogy by Louise Cooper. Not mind blowing but very well written with some interesting ideas, another good british author found ! She has about 10 other books out so i need to get on the hunt ! Also just received my first 10 david gemmel books ! :D need to fill in a few gaps and then i'm off with him as well !

Having thoroughly enjoyed The Blade Itself (I'm still waiting for Waterstones to order me Before They Are Hanged. Grr.), I'll add my name to those who have discovered Joe Abercrombie this year. Better late than never, says I.;)
So you say......:p

Abercrombie for a debut isn't far off Lynch, Susannah Clarke or Rothfuss to name but a few IMO.

Abercrombie for a debut isn't far off Lynch, Susannah Clarke or Rothfuss to name but a few IMO.
Didn't she write Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell? I started that book, but couldn't finish it. Rothfuss I did enjoy, and I have Lynch sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.

So far for me in 2009 (bold have been read since the last time I posted in this thread):

Diana Gabaldon
Robert Silverberg
Richard Adams
Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Julian May

I thoroughly enjoyed Tyson, but unfortunately didn't like the Julian May book I read, Conqueror's Moon. I felt the characters were flat and just never really got into it.

I actually wasn't taken with Lies of Locke Lamora: although the second half was very good and Lynch can obviously write very well, I found it took an age to get going. Persevered though, and really enjoyed Res Seas Under Red Skies.

And it seems I shall have to get hold of the Rothfuss. Everyone seems to be raving about it.

2009 will be the year of Malazan (Erikson and Esselmont) for me. I'm working my way through the books. By the time I get to Reaper's Gale, I'd expect Toll the Hounds and Crimson Guard to be available in paperback.

Stephan Hunt, Court of the Air. First book good with lots of wonderful things (and I have a thing for steampunk atm). Fortunatly there's more.
Toby Frost, Space Captain Smith. Still giggling at Carvath's Cudgel, Neil and Balde Runner homages.

Pretty good week with both new authors likely to get get me buying more. Now I just have to figure out how to fit them into the TBR pile.

2009 will be the year of Malazan (Erikson and Esselmont) for me. I'm working my way through the books. By the time I get to Reaper's Gale, I'd expect Toll the Hounds and Crimson Guard to be available in paperback.
UM.....but they have been for quite a while unless you mean MMPB vs. TPB ??

Both of my copies are in paperback anyway.

@Tilane:
Rothfuss is worth a look.

Lawrence Block - The Burglar Who... series.

The main character, Bernie Rhodenbarr, owns a antiquarian bookshop in New York but never really wants sell any of the books. He is also a retired burglar who keeps getting persuaded to use his burgling skills to help someone out and ending up in trouble.

Excellent writing, fast and funny stories.

I bought the fourth book in the series cause i wanted to try Block and they didnt have Scudder.

I sampled it alittle its written in very funny way. Reminds me of the comics caper of Westlake alittle.

Didn't she write Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell? I started that book, but couldn't finish it.

....I thoroughly enjoyed Tyson, but unfortunately didn't like the Julian May book I read, Conqueror's Moon. I felt the characters were flat and just never really got into it.
Yes, Strange and Norrell does get mixed reactions from folk but I personally thought it was one of the books of that year. It was written in a Victorian style in keeping with the storyline and characters, so I can see how it wouldn't appeal to all tastes.

I would stick with May's excellent perhaps near-seminal work (it was for me when I first read it way back when) Saga Of The Exiles starting with The Many-Coloured Land, a modern classic IMO.

Cheers....:)

Roger Zelazny
Neil Gaiman
Guy Gavriel Kay
R. Scott Bakker

My list of discovered authors this year and it's only April! It's been a good haul, though I'd have to pit Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber series as my best read so far.