What period in history would you have loved to go back and see for yourself

To be bluntly honest, i'd like to live during the time of Jesus, and follow him around. I've been reading all the posts so it doesn't look like saying that'll provoke an argument.

I'd like to go back to either the time of the Reformation or Ancient Egypt. I'd love to be a heretic or just see the pyramids built.

Living in Southern France during the Medieval Warm Period (about 800 to 1200 CE) would have been good, except you want to skip the end part due to all the trouble with Northern France and the Cathars. So I think living there as a Cathar between 800 and 1000CE would be best. Food production was at a high, there was very little disease, and no real conflicts as such.

Living in a roman city during the height of the empire would also have been quite good - somewhere in Southern Europe between 01 and 200CDE.

Such a tough question! It would definitely be somewhere in the ancient world, probably Rome of c. 100 AD (I have to admit, my mental images of Rome have been heavily influenced by Gladiator and maybe a little too much by Naboo from Star Wars...) or Athens of c. 440 BC. I would have loved to have seen the Acropolis in full swing with its gigantic statues and horrendous paint job.

Late Victorian/early Edwardian. But not if I had to be one of the poor lot, cos life was rather quite **** for them. No, comfortable Victorian middle-class; etchings and daguerrotypes of far flung places; membership of a gentlemans' club with bizarre and arcane rules; stepping out onto the veradah, comfortably clad in a gentleman's robe and smoking a cheroot.

Actually...that's pretty much how I am at the present anyway!

As a history buff, particularly when it comes to the Napoleonic Wars, that's the era I'd like to visit (I certainly wouldn't want to stay there for any length of time, though - I like my modern comforts too much!). Failing that - presumably some malfunction with the Time Machine has led me astray - I wouldn't mind being stuck in Ancient Egypt for a while, particularly during the reign of Akhenaten.

Last edited:
Of course the main problems with time travel are twofold

If we'd been born then,99% of us would have had short lives of hard labour , and seen nothing of the world outside of our ramshackle dwellings and villages - if we were time-travelling visitors , then nothing would happen for 99% of the time , and the 1% that DID we probably wouldnt understand what was going on because of language dificulties or the very fact that almost certainly the way that things actually happened is entirely different to the way we think they did.

Better to watch history on tv or from the pages of a book imho.

if we were time-travelling visitors , then nothing would happen for 99% of the time , and the 1% that DID we probably wouldnt understand what was going on because of language dificulties or the very fact that almost certainly the way that things actually happened is entirely different to the way we think they did.
Being quite simple-minded, I just assumed whatever technology enabled me to travel backward in time would also furnish me with the ability to converse with whatever inhabitants I might meet. If it was a random throw of the dice, then you'd be right - most human history consists of abject poverty and soulless grinding. If there was some semblance of control, however, then I think the exercise could be quite enlightening - barring those who jumped back to various significant points in religious history just to give themselves some ammunition, whatever their viewpoint.:)

I think I would like to go back to Victorian Britain and be apart of the aristocracy, only because I'd love to shock them with the way I am.
I'd also like to go to The Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace.

I have four points in time i'd like to see.

1) i'd love to be on the beach for the first time the Romans crossed the channel, just to see their faces' when they got their first look at the blue dudes.

2) The mid Anglo-saxon era.

3) View the late Napoleonic battles.

4) A little more up to date, but i'm young enough to have been born in the punk rock era here in the UK. but i'd love to go back now and see it with grown up eyes.

I, as Sloweye has, many choices that I can't choose between.
1) First crusade, join the march to the holy land, and obviously join in the wee scraps that they had there.
2) As it has been mentioned before, Troy it's final battle.
3) Renaissance Italy.
4) Era of the Black death, wierd I know but I have allways been interested in that part of history.

I'd quite like to have seen - The Battles of Trafalgar, Waterloo, Marathon, the fall of the Berlin Wall, Rorke's Drift and end of the great wars among others

I would like to watch from a distance without interfering, how every incredible and unexplainable structure on this planet was created.

I will love to go back to ancient Israel, during the time of Jesus, so that I can see for myself what Jesus did, and if what He did was like the way it was recorded in the bible.

1) Visit the pre-christian Vikings, Saxons, Slavs and the like.
2) Take a look around Babylon, (See if i can find the whore. One whore for an entire city, gotta be an interesting woman.:p Kidding of course.) take in its hanging gardens.:D
3) Various city states in Ancient Greece. Watch the battle of Thermopylae.
4) The building of the great pyramid.
5) Great Zimbabwe at its height.
6) Feudal Japan.
7) Carthage.
8) The 80's
9) Join Mr. Edward Teach. (Gotta do the whole pirate thing.:D)
10) Check for Orcs in New Zealand.

Any point in time in my own life, as I am sure I could tell myself a few things to do and things not to do :O

i'd like to see how things were in the distant past - dinosaur age, ice age, ancient times (greco-roman) - anything up to the medieval ages, i'd be curious to see.

A couple of time periods for me. First - The Russian Civil War. It's always fascinated me.

Second Dunbar (my hometown) 1650. It was the site of Oliver Cromwell's biggest military victory. I've read about this. I know what happened. I know how it happened I know where it happened - but I can't for the life of me figure out why it happened. I've never found a satisfactory explanation so I'd like to go back and ask Oliver himself.:)

Back