What period in history would you have loved to go back and see for yourself

MorningStar

MorningStar
HI there, I was just thinking if we had a chance to go back in time just for a week, which period would you like to visit?

I think I would love to visit the Tudor/Elizabethan era. I have always had a love of this age and sometimes feel I must have been around in them times in an earlier life. The music, housing and clothing were so beautiful and the times themselves were so interesting with so much going on.

Let me know what you think.

I'd love to go to Norway or Sweden during the latter part of the ninth century. I'd love to go on a raid in England or Ireland or Scottland. The height of the Viking Age...I'd love to be there, basically in charge of Europe, taking what we want, an entire continent afraid of us.

(No offense all you Britts, Scotts, and Irishmen.)

I'd have to agree with Brian, Rome for me to (although I'd also be tempted by Medieval Britain - circa 11th Century - see if I could spot Wart as he's trying to pull a sword out of a stone... :) )

The Wars of the Roses, but I'd like to be there for the long haul...from Edward IV's entering the fray after gis father's death to the Battle of Bosworth...a week just wouldn't be long enough...

The Battle of the Boyne, as long as my presence would win it for the Irish. Otherwise I would go to Imperial Rome, maybe the 2nd Century though, you know, when Gladatorial games were held in arenas and not just the courtyard in front of the forum buildings.

DJ

I would love to go back to 7th century Anglo-Saxon England. Only the Priests had scribes and usually only wrote about church affairs in Roman. The early British relied on the Bard to tell or sing the history of the country or the greatness of their leaders. It wasn't until Bede began translating in about the 8th century that there was any mention of the 7th century. Even that was not a true account for Bede wrote with a different dialect than most translators, a northern dialect. Then of course there were all of King Arthur's translations of the old histories, written in a southern dialect which is so different than Bede's. So much of the history of 7th century England has been lost because of the differences in the translations, which is why I need to go there!!:)

It would be Japan in the era of the Samurais before the tokugawa era Feudal Japan seems very interesting, and if I have another option a would be in the crusade of he Kings

lol...so I am not the only fan of the Wars of the Roses (note the line below my name: the Sun in Splendour)...

I would like to go back to the Middle Age Ireland(ah..the charm of the merry Irish people..I want to see the Druids too!so perhaps earlier for Ireland), Scotland and England, not that much of a fan for France or the rest of the continent at that time, certainly later periods, perhaps the Enlightenment is when the French became somewhat charming...

Don't want to go back to Rome that much...

Oh yes I would like to see the haydays of Imperial China, want to meet the Confucius himself...and to see the glory that is of the Emperor..perhaps Tang dynasty and the North Song dynasty would be wonderful...I would like to meet all those great poets and court officials(usually both are the same person) and even perhaps the Emperors themselves...

hmmm...actually I really want to be EVERYWHERE to witness EVERYTHING...and I agree with nixie that I would like to see the unfolding of the British history especially...it would be painful for me to see the Middle Kingdom(China) in its decline and the rest of Europe or Asia is just not as interesting...

17th century, (think that's it!) the time of fops and dandies and highway men and guys in powdered wigs and frock coats. i LOVE that look, that whole romantic thing.

i wouldn't want to go back to ancient greece, after studying it for so long i dont' think i could cope with the way they percieved women. same goes for rome. egypt would be fascinating, to watch them build the pyramids.

I'd love to go back to "...a long time ago..."

In a galaxy far, far away. ;)

go back to about 200.000 BC and see how the Neanderthales got extinct
go to Egypt and witnees the building of a pyramide ( and answer all those scientific questions, especialy the ones on the vase, and the tomb)
go to the Azain empires
go to the Greek and skip between the and the Romans and The Belgicae( need the beer)
ans then sit back and anjoy the other progressses...

Back