WHO are YOU?

I’m Martin, about to hit 50, and my life feels like one long holding action – except that I don’t expect the cavalry to come riding over that hill anytime soon.

I’ve always been a voracious reader, ripping through a book to extract the storyline essence, and then having to re-read it for the nuances. Unfortunately I made the transition from children’s fare (Famous Five, Swallows & Amazons) straight into ‘tough guy’ pulp fiction courtesy of my Grandmother’s literary preferences as dictated by the mobile lending library (along with ‘slave plantation’ romances and cowboy novels).

Thus from an impressionable age I was exposed to hard-boiled cynicism and questionable motives, making me unsatisfied with the conventional happy endings in most 1970’s media. It is no wonder that I enjoyed the final series of ‘Blake’s 7’ featuring an increasingly psychotic main character (Avon) and I found myself frequently rooting for the ‘bad guys’, who always seemed to have more style.

I was one of those academic underachievers driven by a fear of failure rather than expectation of success, thus I did OK as school where I felt under constant pressure and terrible at university where I felt much more relaxed; sex, drugs, rock & role-playing all took their toll.

I lapsed into a ‘career’ as a computer programmer and subsequently systems analyst, where my slightly autistic mania for asking ‘obvious’ questions and periodic over-attention to detail stood me in good stead. That, along with my first marriage, home and 4 cats all came to an abrupt end back in 2000 and since then I’ve had a series of short-term administration and telephone support jobs which my friends all say I’m over-qualified for.

Oh yeah? Well, I don’t see any posse of prospective employers beating a path to my door, so I take what I can get.

Mentioned the cynicism, did I? Well, you can also throw in self-depreciation as an art form.

I’ve always had a thwarted artistic temperament – good enough at art to realise I wasn’t that talented, although I have a good eye for colour and I’m definitely a loss to the world of interior design. In terms of writing it’s not something I could do for a living as I would come to resent ‘having’ to be creative – my mind will give rise to a ‘bare bones’ storyline and in writing it down I’m trying to clothe it with narrative before the concept fades, like a half remembered dream.

I know I’m damaged goods, and that some wounds never heal, but that doesn’t stop me.

Only forward!

I'm Judy, 18, and am currently studying English with Creative Writing at Uni; I'm hoping it'll help me along the pathway to becoming a published author.

As well as writing and reading I enjoy photo and video editing as well as gaming; I love photography, play the piano (occasionally, as I no longer have one :() and am addicted to DVDs! I'm also a casual anime and manga fan.

A few favourites are:
Books - "The Sight" by David Clement Davies, "The Meaning of Night" by Michael Cox, "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, "Martin the Warrior" by Brian Jaques, "A Killing Frost" by R.D. Wingfield, "What Was Lost" by Catherine O Flynn, "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer, "A Certain Slant of Light" by Laura Whitecomb.
Films - House of Flying Daggers, Lord of the Rings, Stardust, Beauty and the Beast (Disney), Kung Fu Panda, X-Men, V for Vendetta...and many more.
Anime - Clannad, Fullmetal Alchemist, Kanon, Elfen Lied, Saikano, Haibane Renmei, Gunslinger Girl.

I'll admit I don't write as much as I should. I doubt myself too much and constantly re-word what I write; I hate leaving a piece of writing if I think it's flawed in any way. It means writing is a slow process, but I'm learning how to be less critical and how to just write (editing comes later!). I'm hoping this year's target of at least 5000 words a week will help me.

(Oh, also notable: since starting my course at Uni, I've learnt that I'm not as bad at poetry as I thought. It's actually been quite refreshing!)

I'm Justin (no Brett's not my name - just the name I prefer to write under). Most people call me Just. I'm 27 and live in Perth, Aussie land.
My day life is in the Credit Card Services department of a bank, which only pays the bills so I can do what I love - write and read sci-fi and play games with the little free time I have.
My favorite authors are Douglas Adams and Frank Herbert and my all time favorite movie is the original Jurassic Park. People can't figure out whether I own a library or a DVD store/Cinema (a lot like most of the people here I'm sure :))
Apart from that I've always wanted to start an online scifi game for writers. Dreams are always nice :)

I've been looking for a good place to introduce myself, and I guess this is the place.

I'm a Forester who has been writing a fantasy novel in my spare time for over a year now. I have over 150000 words now and am about to start the editing/rewriting process. I have never written a book before, and I don't know the best way to go about publishing. If anyone can give me some advice I would be grateful.

I'm a couple of millennium old going on 8.
I live in Chester, UK
Co-editing Escape Velocity magazine is my unpaid job - Okay royalties, if I didn't plough them back in.
A couple of novels have escaped my computer and a couple of publishers took a chance.
My legs urge to rotate every 2000 words or so, and so my bike takes me up Welsh hills. She's very good to me.

Geoff

Um, well...this is my first post on this forum. Be gentle.

My name doesn't really matter, since I haven't published with it, and my handle is already spattered over the internet.My home is on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. I'm turning 36 in a few days, and I recently took the leap into marriage. I have a couple of weird undergraduate degrees in subjects most people don't associate with school. I'm a brewery consultant for the usual, but I got bored with that and took a job behind the parts counter of a motorcycle shop. I collect careers.
I'm taking my first steps into fiction...I have published a bit of non-fiction, mostly articles about travel for airline magazines (they pay very well) and a bit of work on the philosophy of industrial design. I am passionate about sci fi, and I'm hammering away at it, to the tune of a missed day of work every week or two. Thankfully, I don't have any kids, just a supportive wife, a cat, and two wooden boats.

There you have it. Forum post number one. I'll get an avatar up as soon as I can remember to.

What a welcome thread! I'm a noob here, and I have to say: all of the categories here have me a little overwhelmed!

About me: I am a sci-fi geek, my favorites being pulp fiction and horror. I love reading or watching a great sci-fi piece almost as much as I enjoy writing one. My favorite authors are varied, but they all have one thing in common: they like to make people think. To me, that's what great literature is all about, and I don't think there's enough of that in today's market.

I write short and novel-length fiction, as well as screenplays. I have a few e-publications, but not in any genres that people here would likely read. Maybe someday....

I should probably get this out of the way.

I'm a 29 year old Scotsman, scientist by education and trade. I've never really had much of a talent for anything other than playing with words, and I've never really found the motivation, or indeed the balls, to use it for something.

Still, there's always time to get started.

I live with my girlfriend, have done for 5 years now, and she's inordinately more interesting then I could ever hope to be. Half-Swedish, half-Japanese and gainfully employed in a position that makes far more money than I do, my friends and family routinely wonder what the hell I slipped in her drink.

On writing, I bandied around the idea of setting myself some longer term goals, mostly concerning the fragmented novel ideas floating around on my hard drive, but I ditched them all when I realised that I really need to get some practice in under my belt first.

I still toy with the idea of spinning myself some form of web presence to get my writing "out there", more specifically with the idea of a serialised adventure, but I've put that thought on hold pending the more immediate goals of writing a great deal more and finding myself a writer's group in the Leeds area to attend. Also I'd rather have a good couple of months worth of material in-hand before I start shelling out on webhosting.

My absolute favourite book of all-time is The Count of Monte Cristo. I read it at least once a year.

Well, maybe not so much a welcome thread as a short bio thread for Chronies... :D

Yes, Michael is actually my real name. I like my name ... go figure. I'm 42 years old and all I've ever wanted to do is write SFF, which makes me wonder why I haven't written more. In 22 years, I've written less than 250,000 words of fiction (essays don't count), when I probably should have written twice that by now. Okay, so I'm slow, but I'm working on it.

My writing preference is cross-genre fantasy. I have one complete manuscript of a dark urban fantasy that I'm currently tweaking and trying to lure some unsuspecting agent to at least read the darn thing, and another complete draft of a future fantasy that still requires a few revisions. I've also written about 50,000 words into the sequel for the dark urban fantasy, 10,000 words into a dark fantasy set in the same world but 10,000 years in the past, and a few shorts. I'm trying my hand with just about any genre cross-over I can think of: dark, urban, science, future, and even post-apocalyptic fantasy. Maybe ... just maybe ... I'll add in a "romantic fantasy" one day. I haven't decided yet.

I read as much SFF as I can get my hands on. There's still a lot out there that has managed to elude my grasp but, God willing, I'll get them sooner or later. I loved Gemmell's The Swords of Night and Day and Donaldson's Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever (I read up to book one of the third series now; book two of The Second Chronicles left me in tears).

I don't have a day job. I'm just a bum, plain and simple. Haven't had a real job in years, unfortunately. About nine years ago I earned an Associates degree at a local community college, then spent nearly the next decade sitting on my rear while playing video RPGs and watching anime (except when I took my son out to do something fun, like a fair or something). That might explain why I'm so behind in my writing. Before college it was party, party, party. Afterward it was games and cartoons.

Well, I recently started feeling like the bum that I am (not to mention that I just can't live anymore on the little bit of money that I get) and decided that I'd like to finish what I started all those years ago, so I applied for financial aid. If all goes well, I should be back in school this fall and well on my way to a BA in English with a concentration in writing. Better late than never, I guess.

Speaking of my son, he's an eleven-year-old boy who also loves video RPGs. I think I better get him out of that before he ends up like me. But he's the best; the best at filling me with joy and at annoying the heck at of me when he wants.

I also edit/publish a free ezine called Tower of Light. I suppose you can call it an inexpensive hobby, since it doesn't generate any revenue and costs less than $100 a year to keep it going (my other hobbies cost way more than that), but it means something to me and I really enjoy doing it.

Oh, and I live in the last house on the left. :eek:

Who are you? Now there's a dangerous question. You should never give the same answer twice...

But to wit; I'm new, and though I've already introduced myself elsewhere and not long ago, this seems a worthwhile place to repeat. Besides, this forum is frankly huge (good thing). It's like a cathedral wrapped in a cavern wrapped in a library. So maybe it's a good idea to say everything twice.

So: I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm nine hundred and-

Hold on. Wait. No I'm not.

I came from the end of a bag, but no bag went over me. I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-ride-

No. That's not me either.

My name is John Crichton. An astronaut. Three years ago I got shot through a wormhole; now I'm lost in some distant-

No, once more try.

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Hmm. That's not me either. But I guess it'll do.

As you may have guessed, I have a chronic inability to handle introductions. I tend to have trouble being honest about myself for more than three consecutive sentences- after that I usually descend into increasingly flamboyant lies. It's a quirk, or possibly some form of anarchic self-defence mechanism. But hold on, let me take a deep breath and try hard:

I'm a student, so I'm not too old... though perhaps older than my face suggests, as it never seems to age in proportion with the rest of me. I haven't seen nearly as much of the world as I plan to, but what I have has taught me that there are terrors and marvels abound to satiate desires both subtle and gross, and also that you can always get away with stealing an apple if you run fast enough.

I used to tell people that I wanted to be a writer. Then I worked out that I already was a writer. I just have absolutely no idea whether or not I'm a good one. That's why I'm here. To learn. Science Fiction and Fantasy was my first playground, and it'll probably be my last. It occupies a pop-cultural ghetto that I find unjust; honestly, there's nothing finer than a good piece of SF/F. There are so many worlds to visit.

I read a lot, in theory. I've been letting that slip lately, but it shall be rectified. I've only just started putting writing of mine out there, as it were. Currently, I have one really weird Hybrid Prose/Screenplay beast lumbering around the internet, and a bunch of smaller vignettes.

It turns out I can't fly. Really.

And finally, I sometimes hear All Along the Watchtower playing in my head, though I'm not sure why.

So, that would be me. Hope I didn't babble too much. I'm new, you see. Be kind.

Hi, I'm Tina and I live in North West London, UK.
I am unemployed at the moment, because I had an operation a month ago which will take a few weeks to heal. I used to be an administrator for a charity which deals with intregating people with mental learning difficulties into work and independant living.

I plan to become a student at Birkbeck University in October of this year to study a BA Hons in English Literature. I'm studying pretty late in life, as I will be 27 when I start. I've always loved English Literature, reading, writing etc, and I've always wanted to study this degree sooner, but I lacked any confidence in my self and had some fears about being successful. That's overcome somewhat now, still a way to go, but getting there! It's also one of the reasons why I've not approached publishers just yet either. I have been writing stories, poems, songs and even written music since I was 10yrs old; which is quite funny really, as when I was 9 I was told by a teacher that I lacked imagination, and when I was 11 I was told by another teacher that I had a very gory and overactive imagination. Hehe.

My hobbies are...

Reading and writing (obviously)
Walking my dog in the local parks
Certain sports such as watching wrestling, going bowling, doing archery and taebo
Studying spirituality, the occult etc, got a fascination for all things "unknown".
Belly dance culture, fashion and music---especially tribal fusion!

My current writing projects are non-fiction, writing about spirituality, herbs, and self sufficiency as well as fantasy fiction and horror.

So that's about it, I'm happy to recieve any PMs from people who would like to discuss my hobbies further, to give them advice on what goes on with those hobbies, to help them build a character profile more realistically.
Tina xxx

Ah Misscousins, Welcome.

I suspect that you will be sucked into the many threads that discuss these topics in the short time we all have left.

Back