Ask the Author

Mark Robson said:
Yes, Cosmo. Imperial Traitor is planned to be the last in the series. I don't want to drag out the story into more than three books. However, don't worry - I've got plenty more stories left in me yet.

Mark,

Just re-reading this thread, and the thought occured - after 'Imperial Traitor', are the books you're thinking of next also set in the same world, or are you planning to leave Thrandor, Shandar and surrounds for pastures new?

Patrick Mahon said:
Mark,

Just re-reading this thread, and the thought occured - after 'Imperial Traitor', are the books you're thinking of next also set in the same world, or are you planning to leave Thrandor, Shandar and surrounds for pastures new?

I'd like to leave Thrandor and Shandar for a while and do something different, though I do plan to return. It very much depends on how the publishers see it, though. If they want me to do more in my current world, then I would be foolish to turn away contracts.

Mark Robson said:
I'd like to leave Thrandor and Shandar for a while and do something different, though I do plan to return. It very much depends on how the publishers see it, though. If they want me to do more in my current world, then I would be foolish to turn away contracts.

To be honest it wouldn't matter with me, im not critical, in fact as long i hav a book in my hands ill be happy, and if ive read things before by that author that i have read without putting down for long periods of time im going to buy it.

Mark,

I've read that you employ four proof readers to look at your work before you send it to your editor/publisher. I've done the same with my latest novel.
Do you send out your manuscipt to the readers one at a time, edit it upon return and then send off the the next proof reader, or, as I have, send it out to all the readers at once? If it's the latter, how do you deal with conflicting opinions about certain parts of your work?

Thanks.

I send to them simultaneously, Oxman. When they come back I look at each critique on its own merits. I don't take every suggestion, so conflictions rarely arise. There are inevitably a few, but I take the view that if my proof readers are highlighting particular sentences and offering differing advise, then the sentence probably needs totally re-writing - sometimes the whole paragraph!

As all of my proof readers are of very different ages, I find that they were all taught English differently, which gives me a good cross-section of opinions. Good luck with your submission.

Saeltari said:
I would have replied to your post on my intro but wasn't sure if you would be stopping by again so thought I would reply here. :)

Are you discombobulated when you encounter a flibbertigibbet stultiloquying during a tome signing?

In regards to your new book cover:
Just thinking about being arachnivorous gives me acute arachnophobia, otherwise it looks quite exquisite.

and finally:

You don't have hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia do you?

Hah, I was wrong. That wasn't finally, next one is:)

Have you ever thought of incorporating belomancy in one of your novels?

:D - :cool:

The hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophopia (did I spell that right) does it mean if you are afriad of a monstorus 5 footed hippopotomus?

ahhhh not the long words...

have you started writing the plot for imperial traitor Mark? or are you waist deep in editing right now?

Red Phoenix said:
ahhhh not the long words...

have you started writing the plot for imperial traitor Mark? or are you waist deep in editing right now?

Editing is complete, Red. I've drafted the first quarter of Imperial Traitor as well. I thought I'd progressed Dragon Pact a fair way, but it looks as though I'll be starting that story from scratch. I'll tell more on that next week.

hi i have started to read 'the forging of the sword' and would just like to comment on some of the words used. this is totally a personal thing and im probably on my own with this one but i dont like when authors use modern words like, alphabet and beer which were both within the first chapter. i would prefer 'ale' and 'letters'. again i would just like to say maybe its just mean but wondered if anyone else finds this irritating?

Hello, Lea, and thank you for posting. I must admit that I look back at that first book now and I cringe at some of the writing. I hope that my turn of phrase within that first book does not put you off my writing, as I think I have progressed hugely since that early work.

Choice of words is often a personal thing. At the time I wrote it, I felt those were the most appropriate words for the story I was trying to write. If I were to write The Forging of the Sword again, knowing what I know about writing now, the story and the writing would probably come out very differently. There are weaknesses there - I'd be the first to admit it, but I hope you will be able to get past those and enjoy the story.

Welcome to my forum and I look forward to seeing what you think by the time you finish. :)

Lea,

It's an interesting point you make, but I'm not sure I'd necessarily agree with your choice of words. After all, alphabet is derived from the first two letters of the greek "system of letters" (to avoid being circular :) ), so hardly represents a modern concept.

More generally, isn't your concern based on the presumption that the world that Mark has created is just a thinly veiled copy of mediaeval England? As it's not, but a completely new fantasy world where magic exists, Mark could have made up completely new words for every single "thing"; but that would be hard to follow. So whether he uses "ale" or "beer" to describe the alcoholic beverage that people drink there is, to some extent, irrelevant, since the stuff is not necessarily the same as either Elizabethan ale, or a modern bitter or lager :) .

I'd be interested to know what others feel - do you prefer language that relates a fantasy story to a period setting in the real world, or does the language not matter to you (except if it is inconsistent with the world described)?

Unless an author is deliberately trying to write inside a world that already exists, they can do what they like. Although it makes it easier for the reader to have words used that give you an idea of what is meant: As long as it is explained or makes sense in context, new words or re-invented words are perfectly acceptable.

yeah I think consistency is the key. Know what you are doing. Mixing up medieval terms and technological terms at the same time, for example, might be weird in most cases. As in:
A-What doth thou say ye scavenger?
B-The hyperdrive was overheated, I had to disconnect it manually.
A-good now get the QRL prepared.

I think it's one of them issues where the choice is not the most important part. It is how you write it down.
simply: If you're not good at inventing languages then don't:p

I just read somewhere (wikipedia if you must know) that there is a new series being written called Dragon Orb by you, Mark Robson. What's that going to be about, sounds interesting, I thought you were going to write about Darkweavers rise to powere and another series with Calvyn.

Joel is quite correct. I still plan to write Darkweaver's Rise to power in the future, but for the time being it's all Dragons and biplanes. I'm having a huge amount of fun researching and writing the Dragon Orb series. If you want to keep up to date on how I'm doing with it, you can follow my progress on my blog: Mark Robson’s Blog

Taking a break from Thrandor and Shandar is proving to be a relief, as it was becoming hard to keep track of all the characters and details. Starting a project from scratch again is giving me free reign to build a world with a lot more scope.