Hi.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Moss, Oct 31, 2008.

Moss

Moss New Member

Hi, from Yorkshire in the U.K. Thanks for having me.
    Collecting, filtering and sifting information on publishing a fantasy novel, I was delighted to stumble across your website. Since doing so, I have read an enormous number of posts, and seen enormous amounts of support, advice and good sense, from a marvellously friendly and helpful community.
    It is clear to see the immense respect paid on here to John Jarrold. You have a valuable sub-forum which I would like to use, where I can ask him questions directly. Has anyone any advice for me, before I pester him?
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Hi and welcome aboard. Don't mind Freda, she seldom bites.
    chrispenycate

chrispenycate resident pedantissimo Staff Member

Like what alcoholic beverages to ply him with before pestering?

I hope you didn't break anything while stumbling; as stumbling blocks go, this is quite a big one, and remarkably mobile, too.

Obviously, the first negative stage was in registering here, but it's too late to take that back now. You will find this place habit forming, time consuming and dangerously fascinating. This means that you will require massive will power (and considerable won't power) to get your writing done.

No excuses; you brought it on yourself. We like it like that. (Sleep? Where do I remember that word from?)

So, welcome in. Lots of people here write, I suspect we all work on staying out long enough to get anything down, but it is possible, promise,
    Talysia

Talysia Lady of Autumn

Welcome, Moss. It's always good to see new faces around here.:)
    TheEndIsNigh

TheEndIsNigh ...Prepare Thyself

Welcome Moss. Chris is correct about how habbit forming this place becomes.

Although there are worse places to spend the short time we all have left.
    Rosemary

Rosemary The Wicked Sword Maiden

Greetings and Welcome to The Chronicles, Moss :)
    Moss

Moss New Member

Thanks greatly for the welcome.
    You are certainly correct about how this place can take you over. I seem to have pressed a combination of keys which has made my computer open to the site, and I haven't yet found the inclination to move past it. So be it. I'll linger here a while.
    dask

dask dark and stormy knight

Thought I'd say hi too, not that I'm a long time member or anything. I think we joined on the same day (Halloween) and were obviously thinking similar thoughts at roughly the same time.:)
    Moss

Moss New Member

Thanks, Dask.
    I suspect we discovered SF at roughly the same time. The 1960s were wonderful for Science Fiction, with new books by exciting authors coming out almost weekly, it seemed. I fondly remember the lady who ran my local library (a small town in Yorkshire, called Featherstone) who would save the newly arrived SF books for my fortnightly visit, so that I could have first read.
    My list of favourites would have been similar to yours, and I would add Robert Sheckley and E F Russell, two authors who always delighted me. And of course, the 1960s was a golden decade for short stories, and the anthologies were always eagerly anticipated.
    chopper

chopper still alive

ah, another Yorkie!
    there's lots of us here!
    welcome aboard, but 'ware the temptation to keep going back for one more "New posts" check before bed......just one.....just one more.....maybe.....
    Dr.Jackson

Dr.Jackson Certified Space Monkey

Hello and Welcome to Chrons!
    Grimward

Grimward Where matter vanishes...

Welcome Moss! May many happy hours here be yours.
    dask

I love anthologies. I've always prized short story collections over novels. Just seemed like you got more for your money, especially if you got a lot of introductory material (Harlan Ellison anthologies were/are virtual gold mines). Some people came down kind of hard on Roger Elwood though, a bit unjustly I've always thought. Said he weakened the form by flooding the market. But I'm not in total agreement with that as not every great story is going to make it into a Best Of The Year Anthology, and not every story in one will be great (at least to the person who bought it). Another cool thing about the sixties was the art. Some great covers! I read Dreadful Sanctuary because of the cover (which if I remember rightly was by Kelly Freas). Good book, too. And of course Robert Sheckley's one of the genre's all time greats.:)
    Moss

Moss New Member

Do you remember New Writings in Science Fiction by John Carnell? From the mid 60s for about 15 years. Lots of traditional "adventure" SF, but with a good helping of the more experimental stories. Great stuff.
    kale

kale New Member

Welcome Moss. I'm but a newly broken egg myself. You've discovered a wonderful community. I hope you enjoy yourself as mush as I do.
    Clansman

Clansman Lochaber Axeman, QC

Hi, Moss. Scotch usually works.
    dask

Yes. I have the first nine plus 23, 24, and 25 edited by Kenneth Bulmer. I started to pick them up second hand on the recommendation of a friend who really enjoyed them. This was back in my white-hot book buying days when I bought faster than I could read so unfortunately never got around to them. They've been simmering in the back of my mind over the past few years though. When I finish my current book (Horror Times Ten edited by Alden H. Norton) I think I'll start one. Thanks for the nudge.:)
    ktabic

ktabic Save punctuation!

Hi Moss, welcome to chrons. Mind the gap, but don't mind the spiders, they're sweet really.
    SpaceShip

SpaceShip Outta sight

Welcome to the chrons moss. Enjoy!
    Raith

Raith Noice hat!!

Hello Moss, welcoming you as well.