Football (american football to those across the pond!)

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Grimward, Oct 12, 2008.

Grimward

Grimward Where matter vanishes...

Well, just against the possibility that it's gone for good, here's a place holder until I can get it squared away again....
    Sephiroth

Sephiroth Causa Scientiae

It's gone for good, I'm afraid, Grim...along with everything else posted since August 2.

We'll have to start all over again from scratch.

And can you tell me, did the Vikes really just beat the Lions by a first quarter safety?

I can't find a report on the game, but it says 12-10 final on NFL.com.
    Culhwch

Culhwch Not actually a dinosaur. Staff Member

Well, the Saints got up to continue their win-lose-win-lose ways. Brees threw for an incredible 26 of 30, as well, which is pretty damn impressive.

Looks liek it, Seph. Though technically they won with a fourth quarter field goal, it was just the safety that was the difference...
    Sephiroth

Wow, 26 of 30 is amazing! I like Brees, I thought he looked good against us, despite the mistakes (most of which weren't down to him, in fact).

Ah, so that's confirmed, then? Yeah, the reports are up now, I guess the game had just finished when I checked the first time. Oh, and yes, that's all I meant, that the safety made the difference. Seems like the pass interference call that led to the winning FG was dodgy, though.

And fans were chanting for Childress' head throughout the second half!

Seems we were very lucky to win again. But with the Bears losing (yesss! ;p), it's taken us joint top of the division.

And it's the Bears at Soldier Field next..... Hmmm.
    Culhwch

Oh my god, I just realised St. Louis beat Washington! Grim, what happened?
    Wiglaf

Wiglaf New Member

So are our losses erased? WooHoo! Chargers undefeated!;)
    Grimward

HeeHee!

If only, Wiggs, if only.

Cul, the Skins have a long and "celebrated" history of playing down to their opponents. I think it's something that happens to each new head coach, shortly after they're hired; a day after the coach signs the contract, a black limo with men in ski masks pulls up to their Ashburn, Va. practice facility and the coach is abducted at gun point. Two days later, the coach mysteriously turns up in time for the morning practice, but every player who speaks with him receives a subliminal message to dog it against, well, the dogs! This latest iteration involved the Skins going brain dead after an opening touchdown for 3 quarters, waking up at the start of the 4th, coming from behind, but calling a time out just before their go-ahead touchdown that ultimately left enough time on the clock for Bolger to connect on 40 yard pass that put the Rams in field goal position. It was against a 2nd string corner, and the Skins JUST missed sacking Bolger on the play. You could see the field goal coming before the Skins scored, too; there was just too much time left on the clock!

And for the Vikes, ya just can't tell with a division game, Seph. Win's a win, though!

All right everyone, ante up your team tags again! Rebuilding the thread, you know...! :D
    Parson

Parson This world is not my home

It's nice to have Steph putting the Vikes team tag up. Yes the difference in the game was that safety where the rookie quarterback went brain dead for a second and ran over the end line. But as was said earlier you just can't tell with a division game. My son and I are in an ESPN football pickum league (which he says modestly I'm winning! :D) and my leadpipe lock this week was the Vikings giving away 13 and half points. I KNEW they wouldn't win by 2 touchdowns! But I thought more like a touchdown than a safety.

But the biggest crash of this week was chrons:(!
    Parson

Parson This world is not my home

They looked like an undefeated team Sunday night! I wouldn't have thought that they could dominate the Pats like that but what a performance.

The Parson checks back into his old football coach garb (yes he did coach football decades ago) and says: "But you are never as good as your best game or a bad as your worst." --- Be warned Wiggy.
    Sephiroth

I'm only Steph on a Saturday night when I go out in my black dress and heels, Parson. :D

But cheers! :)

So there's no point in trying to predict what'll happen against the Bears, then?
    Grimward

None at all, even if you cross-dress for the occasion, good sir!:rolleyes:

Wouldn't want to be facing the Bears after the Lovie Smith tongue-lashing they're sure to have received for losing to Atlanta, though...
    Cayal

Cayal The Immortal Prince

We had the week off. Good timing since I moved house hehe.
    Grimward

Yes, and as a reward for your hard labors, you get to add the Titans back as a tag again, Cay....
    Culhwch

Go the Browns! Accounting for the Giants at the half, who'd have thought it...
    Grimward

Yes indeed! Go Browns go (but the Giants won't be beaten with field goals, so they need to convert those red zone chances)! I see the Saints tag, very good...:D
    Culhwch

Geez, talk about discipline problems. Three penalties against the Browns on this drive alone - they'd be in the end zone already if not for that!

EDIT: Anderson to Edwards for the six, they got there in the end anyway! The Giants will need to pull something special out to get back on top of this one...
    Grimward

I think they heard us, Cul......td!:D
    Grimward

Well, THAT was a back breaker! Way to go, Cleveland!
    Culhwch

That's it, all done. Manning throws a third interception and it's run the length of the field for a TD!

Looks like Cayal's Titans are the only unbeaten team now...
    Grimward

The announcers are saying it as I type; what are the Giants thinking? Running the ball with 8 minutes left like they are ahead by 3 touchdowns instead of the reverse?!