Any good books on Greek Mythology out there?

Discussion in 'General Book Discussion' started by Orion, Jul 30, 2008.

Orion

Orion New Member

Been really wanting to read about it lately. I know some stuff about the Greek Gods from stuff like the God of War games and different other references in music and such, but dont officially know a whole lot about it. Just wondering if there are any good books out there about it, even if its like an educational reference type book. Lemme know. Thanks.

Orion
    Urlik

Urlik Noise Warrior

have a look here for loads of books on the subject

or look here for a quick fix
    j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator Staff Member

gully_foyle

gully_foyle Here kitty kitty kitty!

I strongly recommend The Odyssey by Homer. Get a Penguin version if you can. It is a wonderful and easily to read book and will introduce some of the key players and their personalities to you. After that I would recommend The Iliad also by said Homer. Not as easy to read so that's why I'm suggesting you read it second.
    iansales

iansales Active Member

murphy

murphy New Member

Oh, my goodness yes. Excellent books. But I would suggest you start with The Bull from the Sea, followed by its' sequel The King Must Die. It's the story of Thesus and the Minotaur.
    Anthony G Williams

Anthony G Williams Greybeard

A third vote for Mary Renault. Her books were written long ago, but she did a terrific job of bringing ancient history back to life, and deserves a revival.