Asimov sci-fi epic "Foundation" coming to screens !!!

Would be cool if they could make a decent SF film,be a nice change. I Robot was a great film but had nothing to do with Asimov. Hollywood can produce good SF movies that aren't all about action but they just think thats what people want. We need another Stanley Kubrick!

I think they should get an unknown for the Mule. But I don't see how they can make a good Foundation movie - they'd have to do a trilogy. And, quite honestly, I don't know of a single director who can do justice to the idea.

Hey, if it's going to be a trilogy, get George Lucas to do it. :D

I think they should get an unknown for the Mule. But I don't see how they can make a good Foundation movie - they'd have to do a trilogy. And, quite honestly, I don't know of a single director who can do justice to the idea.

Hey, if it's going to be a trilogy, get George Lucas to do it. :D

That'll guarantee not a single Asimov reader will see THAT travesty of a movie. The first time Seldon breaks out a lightsaber........

I'd prefer a screenwriter/director that'll at least keep SOME of the ideals of the author. Though Foundation itself was a time skipping endeavor, casting characters for half an hour of time before it skips a century ahead..... can make for a BIG budget...... in paying actors.

I don't see how a two-hour film could do the books any justice. Even a trilogy of films would be hard put.

Are they doing more than one book in each film?

In the first one, there is no action, not really anyway. People will just be sitting there and missing the subtleties of Asimov and completely dislike the movie.

I honestly think that they will make a hash of it.

I've a sneaking suspicion it'll arrive on our screens about the same time as the Dragonriders of Pern movie...:rolleyes:

And what's the lowest level of credit?

Ah yes: "With acknowledgement to the characters created by Isaac Asimov"...

They didn't do a good job with I, Robot, though, to be fair, they did do justice to the Three Laws of Robotics.

I rather enjoyed "I,Robot", but only as a cgi romp, not as an attempt to put Asimov's stories on the big screen.

(And as we've just been told in another thread, the title, "I, Robot", wasn't Asimov's.)

I, Robot the movie wasn't originally based off Asimov's I, Robot but when they wanted that as the title they had to pay rights and said oh well we may as well include some other stuff in there as well. Thats what I have heard anyway.

I, Robot the movie wasn't originally based off Asimov's I, Robot but when they wanted that as the title they had to pay rights and said oh well we may as well include some other stuff in there as well. Thats what I have heard anyway.

I don't believe you can copyrite a title. Only the content. Sometimes a repeated title has nothing to do with a previous work which can be very misleading.

I don't believe you can copyrite a title. Only the content. Sometimes a repeated title has nothing to do with a previous work which can be very misleading.
Well when Asimov was putting that book together and wanted a title he chose I,Robot. He was then told by someone high up in publishing that he couldnt use that title as Eando Binder had already written a book with that name.
Asimov's reaction?
F##k Eando Binder! ;)

I've a sneaking suspicion it'll arrive on our screens about the same time as the Dragonriders of Pern movie...:rolleyes:

And what's the lowest level of credit?

Ah yes: "With acknowledgement to the characters created by Isaac Asimov"...

I was angry when i saw the new Bond movie intro and the credits.

Not only did they use the plot from the second book they didnt even acknowledge who created the characters.

I was angry when i saw the new Bond movie intro and the credits.

Not only did they use the plot from the second book they didnt even acknowledge who created the characters.
That is absolutely terrible. But doesn't the person who writes the books have something to do with the movies generally?

That is absolutely terrible. But doesn't the person who writes the books have something to do with the movies generally?
Not always, especially when they are dead (as is the case with Ian Flemming).

I think estate has to have something to do with it. Tolkien's estate held copyright to his works, so were able to work something, and likely had feelings that the original works needed to be followed a bit more closely than Asimov's estate or Heinlein's did.

Ian Fleming Publications owned by his family who protect his literary works should have made sure the movie makers gave credit where its due.

Sure everyone knows who created Bond but the new generation wont if they let the filmmakers act like they made Bond.

I've just seen the film and I'm sure I saw a credit to I.F. in the opening credits.

Didn't stay for the ending ones. Who does?

*Raises hand* I do

To me Asimov's widow seems pretty easy going with most of his works which I find surprising as she wrote some with him.

Wasn't there an article in one of these threads that basically made it sound his daughter was the one who was forwarding stories to the big screen?