Asimov sci-fi epic "Foundation" coming to screens !!!

ok I have a question is the movie going to be based on "Foundation" or "Foundation Empire" because there is a big difference. Foundation spanned 500 years as opposed to Foundation Empire. Personally, I would rather see Hollywood make a movie with Elijah Baley and R Daneel Olivaw.

And I think a movie about Elijah Baley would be much more interesting.

suppose you could possibly call the space naval battles 'action'.ThHopefully they don't lose sight of the old maxim of Salvor Hardin, 'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

DVDCOLLECTS

What space naval battles? There are hardly any. They would have to change the book so much to get people to come and see it. Because they are the incompetent and so violence is the last refuge.

What space naval battles? There are hardly any. They would have to change the book so much to get people to come and see it. Because they are the incompetent and so violence is the last refuge.
Last refuge certainly, but first course for any movie wanting to draw BIG $$$$$$$$

At least thats hollywoods take on it, the intellectual, thought provoking stuff gets box office dribble, the action/adventures get big numbers.

I think I will probably wait until it comes out on DVD and watch it at home. So much cheaper.

I'm a cynicall optimist

Yep - I like and recognise that concept!

However good I Robot may have been as a piece of cinema, it should have had a different name...It may have been inspired by and had bits of the stories, but it wasn't any of the stories themselves.

I worry that a film would be very different from the books - Asimov's books are big on ideas and concepts - not things action films are good at (and these days everyone seems to expect at least one good fireball in an sf film)

Yep - I like and recognise that concept!

However good I Robot may have been as a piece of cinema, it should have had a different name...It may have been inspired by and had bits of the stories, but it wasn't any of the stories themselves.

I worry that a film would be very different from the books - Asimov's books are big on ideas and concepts - not things action films are good at (and these days everyone seems to expect at least one good fireball in an sf film)

or rat vampires, sparkly vampires, curtains of blood fifteen feet high.... or light sabers.

Yes, there's the great Brent Spiner as well - though they'd have to dye his hair bronze this time....

Daneel though had this cool chiselled high-cheekboned possibly Slavic type of look whereas Brent Spiner is more Celtic/European with a fuller face and more prominent nose.

Both Brents though would now be in their 50's, so probably not quite so taut and smooth in the face these days. I put Daneel as looking around his early 30s (a look, incidently, that was to last the next 20,000 years!)

It would also have to be someone who looked super-fit (no jowls or even the hint of a paunch). Daneel had been made in the image of a eugenically-perfect Spacer.

Brent spiner made his android excellent, but it wasn't Daneel. lets try for a new "blood" to be a robot. I might go with David Wenham, he's shown some excellent character as Faramir.

I looked up David Wenham on Google Images and he's quite a looker. Good toned body too. Plus - he's got cheekbones! So he could physically make a passable Daneel - though he might need to 'bronze' up a bit: have his brows darkened maybe - and certainly NO designer stubble. Don't know what his acting's like though.

well, he was in two stories lately, Lord of the Rings, (Faramir), and Van Helsing, the lay friar, just can't remember his name.

Some interesting lookers here. Though I did wonder if the part-Slovak 'bronzy light-dark' Jim Caviezel might do for Daneel... He has a handsome face even if a bit thickset round the neck. And the sombre dark (native American) Adam Beach might make a passable Elijah instead.

The striking mixed-race Rosario Dawson would make an interesting Dors Venabili, even if, in the book, Dors was described as having red-gold hair.

I would chose the tall graceful and very handsome actor Brent Barrett as Daneel but think he'd be a bit 'old' at 51 to play the part now.

Though I did wonder if the part-Slovak 'bronzy light-dark' Jim Caviezel might do for Daneel... He has a handsome face even if a bit thickset round the neck. And the sombre dark (native American) Adam Beach might make a passable Elijah instead.

Ooh yes! You're right.