Asimov sci-fi epic "Foundation" coming to screens !!!

vivek

I can see my reflection
i sometimes remind myself of Marvin from the Hitch
The ousted founders of downsized studio New Line Cinema are producing an adaptation of the Isaac Asimov sci-fi epic "Foundation."

"Foundation" is based on Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy," which centers on a society that has figured out how to predict the future based on a method called psychohistory and sets up a foundation devoted to scientific research to protect itself and ensure its survival.

Source: Asimov sci-fi epic "Foundation" coming to screens - Yahoo! News

"Additionally, Asimov's books tend to incorporate philosophical themes as much as action elements."

Action? What are they going to do? Make him the Mulenator?

I suppose you could possibly call the space naval battles 'action'.

Hopefully they don't lose sight of the old maxim of Salvor Hardin, 'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.'

So which role is Will Smith going to play?

I would love to see this become reality, but it is probably going to sit on the same shelf of big ideas as Rama.

I really wish hollywood would stop with these kind of things.

Make another stupid sci-fi and leave Foundation alone. Make another Jumper and leave "SF" alone.

Action ? There is no bloody action in Foundation.

Space naval battles ? I dont remember ships blowing each other up.

Its a good thing the guys behind are new producers and can ruin this so it doesnt become a film.

If there were any Stanley Kubrick's around i would love to see this happen but the track record of SF book movies in the last decades....

Hopefully they don't lose sight of the old maxim of Salvor Hardin, 'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.'

They won't lose sight of this, dekket; they never saw it in the first place (as, sadly, violence is probably the first thought in the mind of the producers, directors and writers of blockbusters).

Not in my nature to buck the trend as you all know but maybe it could turn out OK. How many of us were saying the same thing about TOTR when that was first muted. (mind you the first attempt was rubbish). So give them a try maybe they'll liven it up a bit with the monkey librarian in the university library and the 'donkey' showing Snow White where to get off.

I live in perpetual hope that they will do a good job with each new adaptation. More often than not, I am disappointed. After all, it is only through the medium of film that some great SF and fantasy will ever reach the masses. We can only hope that they retain what made the Foundation such a great concept.

I shall expect them to ruin it but I hope I am pleasantly surprised

I live in perpetual hope that they will do a good job with each new adaptation. More often than not, I am disappointed. After all, it is only through the medium of film that some great SF and fantasy will ever reach the masses. We can only hope that they retain what made the Foundation such a great concept.

Thats way too optimistic considering Sci-Fi movie history....

The reason i hate seeing adaptions like this it will be a stupid hollywood movie that will scare away potential new fans. Or fool people to expect some action space opera.

Hitchhiker Guide movie i know made many people i know stay far away from the book. It killed off many interests i had been building in friends and family.

Have you seen anyone pick up a SF book because of Jumper ?

I know many who saw it but only me wanted to try the book and im not a newbie like them.

I dont like sounding like a cynic on this but hollywood gives you good reasons for sounding like this.

This would probably make a pretty cool HBO series, like Rome. But a movie? pfffffttttt!

Connavar: This is certainly not the site you would want to visit if you tend towards the cynical.

I think you'll find most people here are down to earth trusting types that take everything at face value. How else would we be able to hold reasonable, rational conversations with each other. I myself abhor the thought that someone would suggest that any of my posts should be taken with a grain of salt, let alone a pinch.

I'm surprised that having posted as many times as you have you haven't detected the pure quality and well meaning content that all the contributors make to the success of the site.:)

I Brian must be glowing with pride that he has somehow managed to create a community of like minded well meaning fellows that prepared to see the other side of an argument and who are usually happy to not only accept other peoples views but as often as not change their own views so readily.

As for Asimov's foundation, the film of, I'm sure it will be everything you would want it to be.

Oh, I don't know. Some people are cynics by nature. I certainly am, although I don't always let it show.

Negative opinions have been allowed and accepted here as well, provided they aren't attacks directed at any poster.

Some movie adaptations have been great. I even liked The Bicentennial Man and I, Robot, although neither was anything Asimov would recognize as his work.

Others have been atrocious, Starship Troopers for one.

Well I know I am classed amongst the most trusting and most honest on this site. Just ask anybody.

As for starship troopers I thought, given the basic starting material which was lets face it just a song, it was quite good. Certainly I had no preconceptions, I expected a tounge in cheek film and that's what I got.

Anyway lets not hi-jack the thread and get back on topic.

Who have we got down for the Mule then

Not how I pictured the character. Presumably make up will be involved - extensive makeup at that:)

the thing with Paul Kaye is that he is a brilliant character actor and his characters are very believable.