Have you every written/drawn comic strips?

Perpetual Man

Tim James
Supporter
This isa bit of a tricky one, semi-suggested by myself following a conversation with fellow member Spac3Monkey.

It appears that a lot of people using the Chrons, apart from the fun and advice they get use it as a touchstone for their own writings etc - the Critiques side of thing seems to be doing a roaring trade!!!:D

I've used it myself, many years ago - before my more recent return.

The comic/graphic novel section is by no means as popular, but there is a heavy interest and we wondered whether anyone (else) had a more active interest in the creation of comic strips.

If so this is the thread to harp on about it, whether you are yearning to draw or write comic strips for real; whether you do it for fun; or if you have done it in the past - on any scale small press, very small press, fanzine, semi-professional - whatever!

You might even want to show off some of you work!!

And see what everyone else thinks!

Me? I've had a love affair with comic strips since I was as small as I can remember, and I remember writing them for my friends at infant school!!

As I got older the strips continued - my reading changed from Beano, to Eagle to 2000AD, to the Marvel and DC comics, and I still played around with my own... never to seriously, but ultimately I started writing bits an pieces for a fanzine that never actually appeared. In the end I ended up writing the strip TIME ROGUES for the very long running MONDO small press publication.

Since then the first six parts have been published a number of times, but the story was never completed.

The following link shows the first part of the tale 'Prelude', it was followed by 'Prologue'
and then was meant to be followed by five epic graphic novel sized tales - all of them written, all completeing the entire story. How far we got, well that's a tale for the another time...

PerpetualMan/Comics/Time Rogues - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Don't hold back, let us know what you think!!!

And other creators, lets see what you've been/are up to!

(It has to be said that all this was done a looooong time ago, but artist Tim Rees is still busy drawing comics and doing rather well)

I used to write strips with my friends back in my teens but they never went anywhere mainly due to the artists taking forever to hand in their work and one then tearing it up after I asked for a badly drawn gun to be altered. Once I left college I couldn't find anyone to do the art so I kind of gave up writing comics in my early twenties and have since lost all my manuscripts.

It's still a dream of mine to get at least one story published, though.

For me writing and being published has always been a dream, but I only really thought about the comic route about a year ago, I have always read them but it never clicked. Anyway, now I am currently working on a number of stories and trying to go down the self publish route, which unfortunately can be expensive.

Apart from this, I have a 5 page story being published in a yearly, theme based anthology created by Accent UK. This year the theme is 'Western'.

I have also been allocated 3 pages in the next anthology (not out into 2009 though) titled 'Predators'. Any budding writers and artists should definiately check out their website and submit some work for an anthology, no monies are paid but your names out there.

I think this is a really great thread to pass each other advice and even meet artists and writers you can work with.

I had trouble fining an artist as both my friend and I are both writers and had no artist. We started by sending emails to local colleges, art schools and went on the net on different forums. Our work paid off and we are now working with a fanastic young artist who was at art school. Try it because it works

P Man - you got to tell my 'why?' man

I used to write strips with my friends back in my teens but they never went anywhere mainly due to the artists taking forever to hand in their work and one then tearing it up after I asked for a badly drawn gun to be altered. Once I left college I couldn't find anyone to do the art so I kind of gave up writing comics in my early twenties and have since lost all my manuscripts.

It's still a dream of mine to get at least one story published, though.

This seems to be one of the big problems with being a writer, rather than the artist. There seem to be a lot lest young artist who are prepared to take the time (or even have the time) to draw; and quite a lot of them seem to want to write as well and find it easier to write thir own strips.

It was a big problem for me back in the day. I was really lucky to have a great and fast artist in the one I had, but he was in a lot of demand, and ended up drawing other strips, going on to other things.

A few other artists tried their hand, but none were as good or had the time to really do anything other than the odd five page strip which means even now, many years later I have unforfilled scripts scattered all over the place!!

The bit about the ripping up of work for the sake of one gun is horrifying. I just can't believe it. Really sorry to hear it. I think that is worse than never getting a tale drawn: having it drawn then destroyed. :(

P Man - you got to tell my 'why?' man

This is where I decide just how evil I want to be.... hehehehe!

The original idea with Time Rogues was to have a one part opener (Prelude)

This was followed by the five part 'Prologue' (Finished) This set the story up, but did not answer the big why...

Then there would be five graphic novel sized stories:

The Gods of Sand and Stone (Written and about half drawn)
Scattered (Plotted, never completely written, not drawn)
City of Blood (Plotted, partially written not drawn)
Time of the Supermen (Plotted, partially written, not drawn)
A Prisoner of Time (Roughly plotted)

One spin off: Dawn of the Supermen (Written)

All the way through there would be hints and clues as to the why, but it would be the last story where it would finally be answered....

I've flirted with the idea of writing a script for a graphic novel. There is one particular idea I have which has never seemed a novel to me, and I have flirted with as a screenplay, but I figure would work best in the medium of a comic. I've started writing it once or twice, but struggled with the format - I've seen quite a few styles but none of them seemed to fit me, unforunately. I do like the idea, though, so it's probably somethign I'll revisit eventually.

I think its all about persistence for me, I get frustrated all of the time when writing and for me its finding the right place where I can write. I can't write at home because there are to many distractions, I do a lot of my stuff at work or go out somewhere, for a walk to get ideas, listen to music etc

P - You need to finish this mate and submit it to somewhere like Warpton Comics or put some of your stuff on Bulletproof comics website which is like a showcase. I think you should finish it so I can read it.

C - Just keeping plugging away mate and it will come, have you finished the synopsis?

C - Just keeping plugging away mate and it will come, have you finished the synopsis?

I've got the start fairly well locked in, the middle roughly mapped, but it gets a little iffy towards the back end. But that's pretty much how I operate with anything I'm working on...

P - You need to finish this mate and submit it to somewhere like Warpton Comics or put some of your stuff on Bulletproof comics website which is like a showcase. I think you should finish it so I can read it.
quote]

I don't know your persistence might pay off... trouble would be finding the time and an artist... but thats something a bit further down the line perhaps. Thanks for the links I'll check them out after typing this up.

But:

TR1.jpg

TR2.jpg

Those are cool.

I think your right about the artist part. I do currently work with an artist on small projects but its whether he would have the time to complete a piece of work on a larger scale.....however there is no completed idea yet so that isn't an issue at the moment.

Did you check out those links? moonface press is a good one also

I'm a long time fan of comics and I've written a comic, Mythos, that is still ongoing. We've done six issues so far, the first five issues have been collected into a trade paperback, we've had a fair few good reviews and I've been touting it fairly often at the comic shows in the UK.

It's for over 18s only I should say, you can read the first issue for free online at myebook.com, and I've enclosed a link below. You do have to login to read those marked 18 and over, but it's free and they don't bother you with email spam.

myebook dot com

Issue 6 is in the can, but we're on a bit of an extended break right now as the artist lost his job, so it's a priority right now and we'll carry on next year when he's all sorted.

Oh, and to plug our website where you can buy copies direct from me, or the printer if you live outside the UK visit

swancomics dot tk

I am running one right now. As I cant post the link yet, Google "Smashing Tales" and check it out.

I've done some scripting for web based cartoons and voice overs. I can't post any of it or link it since well, its definitely not pg 13.

I drew a lot of my own comics when I was in grade school. If I didn't have any notebook paper handy I'd go into the restroom and unroll a length of paper towel, fold it in half and go at it. Mostly war comics by the way. :) And not very sophisticated as you can imagine. :eek:

I write a TON... I've got some anthology stuff out there and have my first book, Faction, out there in the world for sale... I love it, love the process, the project management, the marketing, etc... above all, I just love people having the chance to look at my creations and having a creative team (artist, ink, color) interpret my words... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird... I tried to post in here but it didn't go through... I'm actually a comic writer part time now and loving it... I've got some anthology stuff out there and my first book, Faction, is on sale now... I
I will say, though, that the comic book process from conception to production has been amazing and there hasn't been a better feeling than artists converting the written word to a visual medium and people actually buying your book and reading it!

Erik Hendrix

Last edited by a moderator: