All alone in the rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martichoras

Hello

The following is the beginning of the first chapter in an as yet unnamed book I’m writing. I’d be grateful for any comments anyone has, especially on the sort of atmosphere I've managed to generate.

Oh, the whole chapter is 3,500 words long, am I right to split it up?

Thanks

Martichoras

Chapter 1

There was no one there. Polly wasn’t really surprised, given the way her day had gone so far. But all she wanted was to talk to a friend, and her friends weren’t there. She wondered where they were; she never knew where they were any more (not since they’d all left lower school, and her friends had gone to middle school and she had gone to Scholar’s). She only knew that they had all agreed to meet here after school whenever they could.

She was hot from the climb to the disused skydock; so she sat down on a curved stone bench and watched the jungle. It was starting to rain, but then it always did at this time of the afternoon, at this time of the year. A slow drip, from a gargoyle worn away to a mostly useless, vaguely winged lump, began to fall onto the ledge opposite her. She stared at the mist that was slowly consuming the trees and the towers and got her breath back. She knew it was too hot and now too wet for her to really cool down until she got indoors. But Polly didn’t want to go indoors.

She had counted on Mari and Malkin, even Dee, being here. How else was she going to laugh at what Tearle and her classmates had said? Laughing on your own doesn’t work very well. Even Yenessa, her new best friend at Scholar’s, had joined in, had started it in fact. And now there was no one here.

“Oh.” Polly said to no-one.

As she sat and stared, a brilliant orange and black bird, almost as big as her arm, flew onto the ledge opposite her; looking for somewhere out of the rain. It chirped once, annoyed that the skydock was occupied, then it shuffled around as if to go. It looked back, considering Polly for a moment with a black eye like a polished coal; then it turned around again, but it didn’t fly off.

Polly and the bird watched the gathering rain.

“Do you want to hear about my day at school?” she asked the bird, feeling more miserable all the time. The bird shifted and moved again, but still didn’t fly off.

Not really, said a voice in her head.

Polly stared at the bird. It ruffled its feathers and kept watching the rain. She ran a hand through her longish dark hair and decided she was hearing voices. Reasonable for someone without any friends she thought. She sighed and turned and looked back over the city. Far below someone was running across the gardens, as if they had been surprised by the inevitable late-afternoon rain. She heard snatches of voices, drifting up from below, but mostly it was only water she heard - the endless drips from the roof and the gargoyles, and from the covered arcades around her, and the steady hiss of rain on the jungle’s canopy below.

Why weren’t they here? Didn’t they want to see her? She sighed again, staring at the rose-coloured bulk of the Midhaven, as the massive building began to disappear into the lowering cloud. For all she knew they weren’t even in the city, off on a school outing somewhere. Why didn’t anyone else in her class say anything to help her? Why didn’t anyone else think that joining the Sovranty was a good idea? Why did she open her mouth? She had just assumed that Yenessa would agree. Her mamma and papa said it was a good idea.

What was she going to do now? There would be no one at home for a long time yet. She could wait here, but if no-one turned up then she would be really depressed. She sniffed, and the bird chose that moment to fly off, leaving her completely alone. Polly started to cry.

Yes, you were right to cut it up.

When you say
from a gargoyle worn away to a mostly useless, vaguely winged lum
what "use" do you ascribe to an unworn gargoyle? As a rain downspout this one seems to be functioning; was it supposed to be scaring away demons or something?

How else was she going to laugh at what Tearle and her classmates had said? Laughing on your own doesn’t work very well. Even Yenessa, her new best friend at Scholar’s, had joined in, had started it in fact.
a bit confused here; I'm not sure enough of what you're trying to say to make a suggestion.

almost as big as her arm,[/birds aren't arm shaped; is its wingspan as wide as the arm is long, or the body that long, or its total body volume about equivalent?

The rain is too light for my experience of tropical downpours (admittedly restricted to this planet) Normally, when it rains in the jungle it's the next best ting to opaque, just a vague hint of green for the vegetation, and maybe a pink fuzz towards the Midhaven, but she is watching the mist rise and the cloud-ceiling fall through it.
Similarly with the voices drifting up; you give a nice clear description, which tells me the rain is barely more than a drizzle, otherwise all other sounds would be drowned out.

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry about the delay (I've been having nightmares getting the net to work on my computer, I hope it will stay put for a while now).

In the first case, perhaps 'barely useful' would be better. I was trying to let people know that if the gargolye worked properly it would take the rain clear of the building, not drip on the parapet, but as you point out, it does still work, mostly.

I agree with your confusion about second quote; I always pause when I get to this bit. I think it's to do with me having too much attachment to 'Laughing on your own doesn't work very well.' I've been reluctant to change it because I like that line, but now I think I'll look at it again.

It is meant to be drizzle rather than a downpour, although, as you say, that's not typical of the tropics. But I think I have an excuse for it being different. I am writing a prologue at the moment, which should let help signal that its best to suspend judgements for a bit while reading.

Thanks again.

Well we do get drizzles over here, just not too often :)

I think Chris was pointing out the confusion brought about by the third sentence in that quote, i.e. "Even Yenessa, her new best friend at Scholar’s, had joined in, had started it in fact". It doesn't convey what you're trying to say properly, i.e. what had Yenessa started?

Also, the semi-colons after "skydock", "opposite her" and "coal" are overkills. Commas would do just fine. Or even a fullstop in the third case.

Otherwise, nice characterisation and a nice flow to the opening of the narrative :)

- Dreir -

I love the story and the character!!! Please continue writing, I want to know more about Polly (funny that her name is Polly and she is talking to a bird).

Thanks for the comments dreir, especially the ones about the semi-colons. I was scared of semi-colons for a long time (obviously I'm still confused over exactly when to use them). You know what it's like when you find a new toy to play with - you tend to over-use it.

Oh dear, Polly talks to the bird (at least it's not a parrot). I hadn't noticed that (maybe I should have the bird ask if Polly wants a cracker :)

Thanks for your comments everyone.

One of the things I wondered about was whether there was too much information too soon. Trying to do info dumps gracefully is someting I am trying to work on (and its always a tricky thing with science fiction and fantasy, since there's always things you need the readers to know).

There will be a prologue to this in the final version, a fable-type thing, set 'once upon a time', which should give a more gentle introduction to some of the concepts I'm introducing here.

I think I'll post the next bit (the chapter splits quite nicely into 3 parts) over the next day or so, if anyone would like to let me know what they think it would be much appreciated.

Have fun.

I think you've done a fair job on the 'graceful infodumps, and personally I don't think there were too much too soon. But then again I'm far more willing to let a story carry me along rather than have everything explained each step of the way. I'll definitely read your next bits :)

- Dreir -

Well, my next bit is up. Imaginatively titled 'All alone in the rain II'. Only Polly isn't alone for long...

Thanks again for all your comments everyone. I'll bear them all in mind when I do the next draft (which will be number 9 by the way...)

Status
Not open for further replies.