If you could ask JK Rowling anything

Discussion in 'J K Rowling' started by arieltelsa, Jun 28, 2008.

arieltelsa

arieltelsa www.arieltelsa.etsy.com

I actually did meet JK Rowling.. I won that contest back in october to go to New York to see her read. When I got up to meet her I sort of blithered and told her I loved her. Yeahhh.

But seriously, I've always had these two questions I really want the answers to. How did James and Lily (and Frank and Alice) "thrice-defy" Voldemort? And what were the two times Slughorn took Felix Felicis?

What would you ask her?
    Grimward

Grimward Where matter vanishes...

Which book part does she most regret seeing cut from its counterpart movie, and which movie scene was least faithful to her vision as depicted in the counterpart book.

Welcome to The Chrons, Arieltelsa, and many happy returns!
    Majimaune

Majimaune Actum pro novus diem

Why did she write the 7th one so badly?
    PTeppic

PTeppic Reetou Diplomatic Corp

Not sure if she's been asked any of these before:

If, having reached later books, there's one (or more) things in earlier books she wishes she'd added, not included, or written differently in hindsight? I assume there's several, so which was the most awkward to work round?

Are there any sub-plots she's cut during editing she wishes had survived to the final print? And vice-versa?

At what point did she realise the effect she was having on children's reading habits?

Does she regret the over-hype that her books have caused?

Is she concerned about the environmental impact of her over-hyped launches (especially 5-7) and the hundreds of thousands of copies which will be read once or twice then binned/etc.?

Which is her favourite personal in-joke?

Which scene in the series most closely resembles one from her own life?

If she'd been at Hogwarts, which of the named characters would she most have been like?
    HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Iago with a Blackberry

LOL, Maji, you just made me chuckle with this comment. Heh...
    TheEndIsNigh

TheEndIsNigh ...Prepare Thyself

When are the prequels due out? How many books in the series will there be and has she signed the film deals yet?
    chopper

chopper still alive

can i borrow a few thousand pounds?
    Majimaune

Majimaune Actum pro novus diem

Thankyou but I would honestly ask that.

Now that made me laugh. What could I do with a thousand pounds...get it exchanged for Australian dollars to start with...
    Wiglaf

Wiglaf New Member

Her books aren't that bad but there have been many great children's series over the years. How did she manage to get the movies made while the series was still being written and have them be decently done. Most series get movies made well after they were written and often the movies are horrible. For example, Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain were widely read until Disney released The Black Cauldron animated in the style of their Gummy Bears TV show and killed all further interest.
    Amelia312

Amelia312 Derranged Pixie..

I'd ask her if she regretted killing off any of the characters in her later books and if she would have changed anything.
    hopoffhopon

hopoffhopon New Member

Could you anyhow transform your gorgeous writing skills to me, please? *an angel smirk*
    biodroid

biodroid Expensive Gadget User

Why did you rip off other stories to make an "original"?
    MJRevell

MJRevell www.mikerevell.com

Because that's essentially what writing (and indeed storytelling) is.
    tangaloomababe

tangaloomababe Living in Paradise

So what's next?
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Would you ask the same of Lewis, Tolkein, Faust, McCaffrey, Pratchett et al ?:rolleyes:
    Miss Taylor

Miss Taylor slightly afraid of knarls

What on earth possesed you to pair Harry with Ginny when Luna is so awesome?
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
    Miss Taylor

Miss Taylor slightly afraid of knarls

Oh, and what was it that Dudley saw in book 5 when he was demented that freaked him out so badly. Unless I blatantly missed it, it's never explained anywhere, a lose end she missed maybe?
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
    Moggle

Moggle New Member

I suppose I'd ask her if she had ever considered giving Ron and Hermoine their own voices in the books even if occassionally as opposed to just letting Harry interpret everything. I love the books but it got a little old after a while of just hearing Harry's thoughts. I wanted to know what his friends were thinking as well.
    Grimward

Grimward Where matter vanishes...

Now there's an interesting idea....picture hearing everything thru Ron's "emotional range of a teaspoon"....;)

I'd love to see how the wizarding world spins thru Luna's mental filter, though....and Fred/George, too.
    Rand

Rand New Member

Really enjoyed the series, but...

I'd have to ask her why she created a character who she strongly implied was one of the greatest wizards of all time, then made him so inept at using magic, and finally admitted his power wasn't really magical talent but his ability to love. Nice moral for a guy who did more than he was able to, less so for one who consistently did quite a bit less than it was implied he should have been able to.