Lokking for a book about tanks... i think.

Denns Nist

Hi!
I'm looking for a book that takes place in a fantasyworld that summons a group of vietnam era american soldiers to help them fight some sort of war.

Can't remember who wrote the book or whats it's name is.
The only clues that i have is that the word "riders of" MIGHT appear in the title. And that the book is probably from the sixties seventies eighties.

If anybody knows I would be grateful. :)

Ohh and they drive some sort of veichle too. A tank or an APC or something.

This isnt much to go on. Do you think you might be thinking of Drake's Hammer's Slammers stories? The stories were collected in books back in the 70's or 80's, and are being reprinted by Nightshade Press now. That bit of "riding on" you put up there may be part of the title of one of the collected short stories. Check it out.

Sounds a bit like the comic The Light and Darkness War - they were dead vets apart from one who went into a coma and found his friends and their helicopter in this huge space war. Was good.

Check out "Godslayer", "Shadow Climber" and "Dragonrank Master" by Mickey Zucker Reichart. Sorry I can't put in a link yet... too new.

Book Description
Here, for the first time in one volume, are the first three novels in Mickey Zucker Reichert's most startlingly original series: an epic saga of a Vietnam soldier sent through time and space to a battlefield where the weapons are not bullets and grenades but swords and spells-and where elves, thieves, and martial arts masters can find themselves unwillingly enlisted in a war between the gods....

I have a vague recollection of another book about a whole squad (platoon?) of vietnam soldiers being transported to another world. The book title starts with a "J". Maybe it will come to me...

Check out "Godslayer", "Shadow Climber" and "Dragonrank Master" by Mickey Zucker Reichart. Sorry I can't put in a link yet... too new.

I have a vague recollection of another book about a whole squad (platoon?) of vietnam soldiers being transported to another world. The book title starts with a "J". Maybe it will come to me...

Was it this one by Brian Daley?

That may be the one that the original poster is looking for- but it's not the one that's sitting in the corner of my mind taunting me!

Update: 10 seconds after I posted this, I walked into the other room and found my wife looking at it on Wikipedia. I had the wrong book stuck in my head :(. It was a platoon of u.s. soldiers led by CIA agents doing covert ops against the Cubans in Africa(???) during the cold war. They were transported to another world by aliens. Same basic concept as what the original poster was looking for, but wrong war, and definitely no tank. Sorry!

It is titled "Janissaries", by Jerry Pournelle. Pretty good too.

On wikipedia search for "Janissaries_(novel)"

Last edited:
That may be the one that the original poster is looking for- but it's not the one that's sitting in the corner of my mind taunting me!

Update: 10 seconds after I posted this, I walked into the other room and found my wife looking at it on Wikipedia. I had the wrong book stuck in my head :(. It was a platoon of u.s. soldiers led by CIA agents doing covert ops against the Cubans in Africa(???) during the cold war. They were transported to another world by aliens. Same basic concept as what the original poster was looking for, but wrong war, and definitely no tank. Sorry!

It is titled "Janissaries", by Jerry Pournelle. Pretty good too.

On wikipedia search for "Janissaries_(novel)"

Was there ever a sequel to that book?

And Pournelle has been promising us a fourth volume tying it all up for nearly twenty years now. The parts two and three were brought out in a single volume, called "Tran" by Baen books, with the fact that it was a reprint of the two books, and I was quite miffed when I bought it thinking it was the (already) long awaited final, and discovered I already owned all the text.

It's been so long since I read Janissaries that I had forgotten about it. I did like it, IIRC, but never could find it in stores. Now that I have the internet, I should look them up.

There was abook I read once where a group of submariners was whipped of to some other planet. The 'enemy' were tunnel diggers and the mariners came up with Land depth charges that burrowed down to blow them up.

Anything like

A Plague of Demons

A Plague of Demons by keith laumer is a similar plot, oK book,

read it as a kid & loved it re-visited as an adult and didn't care for the ending

I think soldiers are brain harvested & wake up in "tanks" in battle on another planet.:confused: