Brothers and Sisters - Prologue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhalla

Vigilante Showboat
Hi, this is the first full chapter/prologue I have posted on this site. Hope you enjoy, and give constructive critisism

Prologue

The End

All was quite except for the occasional burst of wind against the side of the mountain. Snow would be overturned in flurries and then sent cascading over the mountainside before the wind would calm again.

Nearby, the lights of the temple pierced the night, shining with hope. The temple usually stood out as a formidable stronghold on the mountainside, its very presence inspiring tales of fearful beings. However, on such a cold night it would have warmed the heart of the most superstitious traveller.

The sound of snow crunching under the foot of someone who was running suddenly cut through the night and a girl appeared, followed by a small glowing light which shone light blue.

She was tall with short brown hair which blew around her face. Her left eye was as blue and the sea while her right eye was the colour of freshly cut grass. In her right hand she held a large pair of golden garden shears, tall enough to reach her torso when the tip was in the ground.

“We’re nearly their Rempika.” She said to the light. It flashed at her as she continued running to the nearest cliff.

Suddenly, from behind there flew another glowing light, this one was a darker blue. It was followed closely by a boy.

He could have been the girl’s twin. He had the same coloured eyes as her and the same hair. In his right hand he carried a pair of large silver scissors, the same size as her garden shears. He was also running.

“Sorus!” He yelled and the little light charged ahead of him, heading straight for the girl’s light.

She had heard him yell and spun around, seeming to float a few inches from the ground, she raised her shears so the flat side slammed into the light.

It looked momentarily confused and she attempted to grab it but suddenly the boy was there, his scissors raised. She pulled her hand back and brought the shears up to stop the movement.

Both weapons met in mid air, and sparks flew off. The two lights shot behind their respective owners waiting for orders.

“Go away Jorai!” The girl said, “This is my territory and you have no right here.

“You are the one who entered my territory first, Sukisou!” Jorai said.

“I wanted to see my sister! Before she went back to sleep.” Sukisou said. She closed her eyes and her body began to glow.

Jorai began to shake with the effort of staying still. He closed his eyes and began to glow as well. Suddenly Sukisou’s eyes flew open and she stopped glowing. She flew backwards over the cliff, followed by her light. Jorai ran forward and leaped off after her.

She sped towards the ground, head first. Suddenly she heard the sound of pursuit. She rolled over so she faced up and saw her pursuer. She suddenly stopped mid-air and shot back up towards the sky. When she and Jorai met the weapons clashed.

They flew in circles around each other, both of them bringing down merciless attacks on the other. Suddenly Sukisou shot backwards holding her weapon in both hands now, she began to glow again.

She shot forwards, a sphere of energy surrounding her, glowing light blue. Jorai raised his scissors to defend himself his body glowing as well. Slowly he also became surrounded with energy, dark blue energy. When the two spheres met there was a sound like an explosion but they both stayed where they were.

“You can’t beat me, Jorai, you never will.”

“Always full of yourself weren’t you.”

“I am only telling the truth. Our powers are too similar for that.”

“Maybe so, but I will still defeat you.”

“I don’t think so.”

Sukisou flew up higher and began to glow again, but much brighter then she had glowed before. Her light, Rempika, flew towards her and joined with her.

Jorai seemed unsure as to what he should do.

Sukisou was soon shining so brightly it illuminated the whole valley below, so it appeared to be day.

Jorai began to glow as well, his light, Sorus, joining with him.

Sukisou brought her arms against her chest just as Jorai began to shine with the same brilliance as her. She quickly brought her arms out smoothly releasing, as she did, a wave of pure energy directed at Jorai. At the same moment he brought his arms up to touch his chest and he released. Just as the wave was about to hit him he shot out of the way, but the wave continued towards him.

“You can only escape it in your own land.” Sukisou yelled before turning and shooting off towards the temple, her light once again following her.
She landed lightly on the first stair and then stumbled up two of them before collapsing in exhaustion.

Two priests rushed outside and lifted her gently. They carried her inside and the high priest stepped outside. He surveyed the now silent countryside as though expecting to see something unusual. When nothing met his sight he turned and entered the temple.

In the centre of the temple, in a hidden chamber, three priestesses tended to the wounded Sukisou. During the course of the battle she had received a number of cuts from the silver scissors. None fatal, but many were deep and bled heavily.

One of the priestesses’ tutted at her, “You know you shouldn’t fight when it is nearly time for you to sleep.”

“I did not intend to you know.” Sukisou said. She looked thoughtfully at the three “I suppose you won’t be here when I wake next time. You had better make sure you train good priestesses to take care of me.”

The three priestesses exchanged looks. They each tried to imagine what it would be like, that every time you woke up all the people you used to know were long gone.

“Of course we will.” One priestess said “We only want the best for you. You are destined to rule the world aren’t you?”

“I suppose.” Sukisou said. She waved them away when they went to tend her wounds again. “Sumisou, is asleep, I too am going to sleep now.”

And with that she rolled over and the shining spark of Rempika landed on her chest and was absorbed. She drifted to sleep.

I await your comments:D

The prologue is well written in omniscient third person POV and you manage to keep it till the end. Nevertheless, there are few points where I lost the imagination, and those are: the appearance of the character lights and the three priestesses. On first one, I couldn't understand what happened, and on second one the pace of transferring from one place to another was just too quick.

I would be interested to see on how the first chapter begins, and the question is, do you omniscient third person limited narrative there?

PS. You writing style did bring anime in my mind, was that your aim?

The events in this excerpt definitely made me wonder exactly what originates them. I'd be interested in seeing where this storyline goes and what is causing this girl to go into this "hibernation". Also, I'm wondering at this significance of the garden sheers and the lights and their respective colors.

I am however, inclined to agree with CTG, at least in regards to the transition speed. It's like BAM they're in the temple, no smooth transfer, very sudden and very jarring.

Other than that, it's pretty well done, I look forward to more.

yeah, when I wrote the transition I thought it felt to fast... I will definately be fixing that.

ctg - was there any particular thing that made you think anime or what? Just a feeling? Curiosity on my part you see, I have this thing with knowing what people are thinking. I will also work on the glowing light thing, it is sort of a first draft and so I am still getting a feel for it.

Also why did you say

I would be interested to see on how the first chapter begins, and the question is, do you omniscient third person limited narrative there?

I just didn't quite understand what you mean.

Precise Calibre - I am glad you enjoyed the piece and that it makes you wonder. I tend to make my prologues sort of unexplained, just so it makes you want to keep reading.

I mean, you use very vague narration throughout the prologue, meaning that you never dive into the character thoughts, and therefore flesh out a single character as a POV character. Therefore I was interested to know if you, in your first chapter, use a POV character or do you keep using the omniscient third person narrator to describe the settings and the action?

The anime feeling comes from the usage of the names, oversized improvised weapons (like for example the scissors) and the settings.

[/quote]
Hi, this is the first full chapter/prologue I have posted on this site. Hope you enjoy, and give constructive critisism

Prologue

The End

All was quite
quiet
except for the occasional burst of wind against the side of the mountain. Snow would be overturned
possibly not "overturned" (this suggests it has a right way up)
in flurries and then sent cascading over the mountainside before the wind would calm again.
Nearby, the lights of the temple pierced the night, shining with hope. The temple usually stood out as a formidable stronghold on the mountainside, its very presence inspiring tales of fearful beings. However, on such a cold night it would have warmed the heart of the most superstitious traveller.

The sound of snow crunching under the foot of someone who was
perhaps without the "who was"?
running suddenly cut through the night and a girl appeared, followed by a small glowing light which shone light blue.
All right quibble, but I don't like the two "light"s that close. "Pale"?
She was tall with short brown hair which blew around her face. Her left eye was as blue and
probably "as" .And which particular bit of sea?
the sea while her right eye was the colour of freshly cut grass. In her right hand she held a large pair of golden garden shears, tall enough to reach her torso when the tip was in the ground.
“We’re nearly their
there, and a comma
Rempika.” She said to the light. It flashed at her as she continued running to the nearest cliff.
Suddenly, from behind there flew another glowing light, this one was a darker blue. It was followed closely by a boy.

He could have been the girl’s twin. He had the same coloured eyes as her and the same hair. In his right hand he carried a pair of large silver scissors, the same size as her garden shears. He was also running.

“Sorus!” He yelled and the little light charged ahead of him, heading straight for the girl’s light.

She had heard him yell and spun around, seeming to float a few inches from the ground, she raised her shears so the flat side slammed into the light.

It looked momentarily confused and she attempted to grab it but suddenly the boy was there, his scissors raised. She pulled her hand back and brought the shears up to stop the movement.

Both weapons met in mid air, and sparks flew off. The two lights shot behind their respective owners waiting for orders.

“Go away Jorai!” The girl said, “This is my territory and you have no right here.

“You are the one who entered my territory first, Sukisou!” Jorai said.

“I wanted to see my sister! Before she went back to sleep.” Sukisou said. She closed her eyes and her body began to glow.

Jorai began to shake with the effort of staying still. He closed his eyes and began to glow as well. Suddenly Sukisou’s eyes flew open and she stopped glowing. She flew backwards over the cliff, followed by her light. Jorai ran forward and leaped off after her.[/FONT]

She sped towards the ground, head first. Suddenly she heard the sound of pursuit. She rolled over so she faced up and saw her pursuer. She suddenly stopped mid-air and shot back up towards the sky. When she and Jorai met the weapons clashed.

They flew in circles around each other, both
technically, "each"
of them bringing down merciless attacks on the other. Suddenly Sukisou shot backwards holding her weapon in both hands now, she began to glow again.
She shot forwards, a sphere of energy surrounding her, glowing light blue. Jorai raised his scissors to defend himself
comma
his body glowing as well. Slowly he also became surrounded with energy, dark blue energy. When the two spheres met there was a sound like an explosion but they both stayed where they were.
“You can’t beat me, Jorai, you never will.”

“Always full of yourself weren’t you.
question mark, (even if it is rhetorical
“I am only telling the truth. Our powers are too similar for that.”

“Maybe so, but I will still defeat you.”

“I don’t think so.”

Sukisou flew up higher and began to glow again, but much brighter then she had glowed before. Her light, Rempika, flew towards her and joined with her.

Jorai seemed unsure as to what he should do.

Sukisou was soon shining so brightly it illuminated the whole valley below, so it appeared to be day.

Jorai began to glow as well, his light, Sorus, joining with him.

Sukisou brought her arms against her chest just as Jorai began to shine with the same brilliance as her. She quickly brought her arms out smoothly releasing, as she did, a wave of pure energy directed at Jorai. At the same moment he brought his arms up to touch his chest and he released. Just as the wave was about to hit him he shot out of the way, but the wave continued towards him.

“You can only escape it in your own land.” Sukisou yelled before turning and shooting off towards the temple, her light once again following her.
She landed lightly on the first stair and then stumbled up two of them before collapsing in exhaustion.

Two priests rushed outside and lifted her gently. They carried her inside and the high priest stepped outside. He surveyed the now silent countryside as though expecting to see something unusual. When nothing met his sight he turned and entered the temple.
outside, inside outside – possibly just an "out" for one of them?
In the centre of the temple, in a hidden chamber, three priestesses tended to the wounded Sukisou. During the course of the battle she had received a number of cuts from the silver scissors. None fatal, but many were deep and bled heavily.

One of the priestesses’ tutted at her, “You know you shouldn’t fight when it is nearly time for you to sleep.”

“I did not intend to you know.” Sukisou said. She looked thoughtfully at the three “I suppose you won’t be here when I wake next time. You had better make sure you train good priestesses to take care of me.”

The three priestesses exchanged looks. They each tried to imagine what it would be like, that every time you woke up all the people you used to know were long gone.]

“Of course we will.” One priestess said “We only want the best for you. You are destined to rule the world aren’t you?”

“I suppose.” Sukisou said. She waved them away when they went to tend her wounds again. “Sumisou, is asleep, I too am going to sleep now.”

And with that she rolled over and the shining spark of Rempika landed on her chest and was absorbed. She drifted to sleep.

I await your comments:D

Very animated cartoon. The one problem I have is visualising how the darker blue (presumably more spectrally pure) can get as bright as the lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.