If there was a movie?

i have no problem at all with Emma Watson as Ce'Nedra... frankly they can cast virtually anyone, just not Dakota Fanning!
Ooh what about Emma Page? (Oscar nominated star of Juno) shes a great actress, shes very little, add some red hair dye or wig a she could be great.

I like these suggestions - I could see either one as Ce'Nedra.:)

You know, switching back to the Elenuim/Tamuli - I'd like to see Daniel Craig as Ulath. I think he'd be good in the role as he seems able to convey quite a bit of character without even saying anything.

The moment I seen Belgarath in The Belgariad I knew that if there was ever a movie made, Jeremy Irons would have to play him! I also imagine Robert Sean Leonard playing Durnik, but that's just because I can see him playing the part incredibly well. I'm not a fan of Orlando Bloom, but I think that he would do an excellent job as Hettar, and I would cast Adrien Brody as Silk!

Jeremy Irons! you cannot be serious. the worst over-actor in the business - especially in fantasy related roles - i mean how abysmal was he in Dungeons and Dragons? oh and lets not forget him late almost-Belgarath role as Brom in Eragon... attrocious!
Borelando Gloom has no-where near the stature to play Hettar - remember he's like 6'6"-ish when discribed and muscular! (not Barak huge) but after Barak, Hettar is the biggest in the party.
i've mentioned it before, but people, we seriously need to try to cast these characters NOT straight out of LotR, Harry Potter and every other fantasy-themed movie of the past decade or so... use some imagination people - its was this is all about.

Adrian Brody would be good for Silk except his 6ft tall not that that is a big issue now days.

Call Me Gytha had an interesting suggestion in the playroom thread for Silk. How about Tom Cruise? I never would have thought of it and I'm not a cruise fan but add the right prothetic nose and he could actually be a good fit for the part, he's about the right age and Cruise could finally get to star in a movie without wearing platforms :).

My thoughts as below re casting (some picked from previous responds):

Belgarath - Harrison Ford (he has this twinkle in eye and u can just bung on some beard on him) or Sean Connery

Polgara - Miranda Richardson (From Merlin, she has this ageless quality in her face)

Poledra - Agree with someone re Sigourney Weaver, and also possibly Patricia Wettig (Holly from Brothers and Sisters)

Beldin - Danny Devito

The twins - Jim Broadbent

Belzedar - Ian Hurt

Note: Ian McKellan could do either Belgarath or Belzedar but he's too high-profile since LOTR.

Belgarion - Edward Speleers (as young Belgarion) and Ben Barnes (as older - the Mallorean series).

Durnik - Sam O'Neill

Ce'Nedra - Ginerva Molly or Mena Suvari

Silk - James Purefoy, Dennis/Randy Quiad

Barak - Robbie Coltrane or that gigantic guy from Troy that Hector killed

Hettar - Timothy Olyphant, Johnny Depp (dark brooding types who can look good in a topknot)

Mandorallen - Rufus Sewell, Matthew Fox,

Ledorellin - Orlando Bloom, James or Oliver Phelps (Weasley twins)

Asharak - Alan Rickman

Zakath - Antonio Banderas

Ctuchik - Hugo Weaving or Christopher Lee

Salmissra - Angelina Jolie (think of Grendel's mother from Beowulf, very predatory).

Cherek - John Rhys-Davies

Rodar - Paul Giacamotto

What do u guys reckon?

A few more:

Errand - Haley Joel Osmont
Sadi - Arnold Vosloo
Aldur - Peter O'Toole
Torak - Daniel Craig or David Bowie
Taur Urgas - Brendan Gleeson or Ray Winstone
Velvet - Emily Blunt (Scarlett Johansson can't do dry n sarcastic)
Vella - Catherine Zeta Jones
Porenn - Naomi Watts
Relg - Sean Astin
Taiba - Taiba
Zandramas - Tilda Swinton (think of hte witch from Chronicles of Narnia) or Nicole Kidman (she has these glarey eyes)
Yarblek - Geoffrey Rush
Voice of the Prophet - Patrick Stewart or James Spader (Boston Legal)

Some interesting choices there, Megari. I don't think I'd have thought about Arnold Vosloo as Sadi, but I think it could work. A lot of people have suggested Angelina Jolie as Polgara, so your choice casting her as Salmissra seems pretty good to me.

Oh, and welcome to the Chronicles!:)

I like your Salmissra and Porenn, Megari :)
And for some reason Banderas as Zakath sounds perfect to me, lol..

- Dreir -

i'm another in favour of Jolie as Salmissra.
Eva Green... hmmm... couldn't possibly be a Sephrenia - she's far too tall. But as Polgara she could work rather well. (and i'm not even going to mention that she's now one of the already-in-a-fantasy-themed-film actresses - which so is Jolie - but she's in them all... so Angelina gets a pass - so long as she ditches that stupid "sorceress" accent she did in Beowulf and in Alexander - oh that was annoying)

Belgarath: Anthony Hopkins or John Cleese
Polgara: Catherine Zeta Jones
Silk: James Mcavoy
Durnik: Paddy Considine

Thats all for now lol

I must say, I would never have thought of John Cleese for Belgarath. Definitely an interesting choice. I think I could see McAvoy as Silk, though.

And a belated welcome to the Chronicles!:)

I still think Ian Holm as Belgarath.... his parts have varied from funny little guy (Bilbo baggins), to something resembling truly evil (Ash in Alien) so he could go full range from boozing dirty old man to Belgarath that if the writer makes it happen is required. I think anyone who has read this knows what I'm talking about.

however if we wanted to do the "family resemblence" thing harped on, could always have Martin Sheen as Aldur, Charlie as Belgarath or Belzedar, and Emilio Estevez as the one not taken. then maybe have the Baldwins play Torak and Disciples...

the magic of unannounced actors hasn't worn off. Garion, Ce'Nedra, Errand could be "introducing" like the kids from Potter, and Narnia.

Thank you for the welcome lol! :)

Rachel Weiz as Polgara could be interesting, as for Beldin, Bob Hoskins or Michael Gambon could be worth a thought.

Liam Neeson as Durnik

Someone mentioned Salma Hayak as Salmissa

Paul Bettany as Ctuchik

hmm well, i would recommend:

Ce'Nedra: Summer Glau (River Tam from Firefly and Serenity)
Garion: maybe the guy who played Eragon?
Belgarath: Christopher Lee, poor guy never gets to play a good guy. and the voice.....:p

Silk: hell yes Davis Spade, who else does cheeky so well?
Polgara:Morena Baccarin (Inara from firefly)

thats all i got for now