no title/author but trying to find futuristic america book

dustinzgirl

Mod of Awesome
So there's this book I read a while ago. It wasn't a really good book, it wasn't a really well written book, but it was interesting, so thats why it stands out.

OK so scientists figured out a way to use mathematical equations to make "magic" happen. You had to be very smart or have a natural ability to do this. Only, every time they made something good happen, something bad would also happen....like a tidal wave or earthquake. So the practice was outlawed, and then the people that practiced this hid all their knowledge and their books and taught their children in secret. The story was really about one of the daughters growing up after it was outlawed but she kept practicing the math equations and then there was this big tidal wave that wiped out a whole area and she knew it was her fault.....and there was other more boring political stuff going on too, which was why she was still practicing.

I remember that it was futuristic America, only all the names of the cities and states were spelled/pronounced wrong.

Thanks. Yeah, I don't think it was a very popular book, I read it while hanging at the library with the kids.

Hi Teresa! I've been around here, just haven't felt much like talking.