Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harry-Murphy

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Can't Decide

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Shingetsu

Immortalis Canis Lupus
I watched the TV series when it came on, and it was good. Which sucks that they got rid of it. I'm on Summer Knight (book 4) of the books. I'm surprised Harry doesn't just shoot himself, though I guess he looks like crap anyways from being in his lab all the time trying to find a cure for Susan.

Obviously this isn't a romance, but still about Harry Dresden's life. At first I didn't really care for the Harry-Susan relationship, I rooted for Murphy, not that I ever expected anything ever to happen between them. But then Susan didn't seem all that bad, but figures she has to get bitten by a vampire and Harry ask her to marry him. Which she refuses because of lack of control and leaves.

Since I like to annoy myself half the time I also went to wikipedia and read character profiles. Sounds like no more Susan because of her being off fighting the Red Court. And also said Murphy was attracted to him but wanted a family and not someone who is going to live for centuries and also not ruin their working relationship.

I guess he's just screwed in the love department. Though I thought it might be interesting if Susan being half-vampire half-human still gave her some longevity, instead of immortality. That way he'd have someone for 200+ years. Though I still like Murphy...tough decision. If only she got cursed with a longer life somehow. (lol)

Oh well, I guess that’s why it's about Harry "The Lone Ranger" Dresden's case files. Jim Butcher said he had ideas for the low 20's for the series. I guess it will be interesting to see where he takes things.

Some spoiling is fine if anyone has some interesting things to tell me. I always find reading it to be different than knowing some things. I guess I better get back to Faerie queens stabbing Dresden and the White Council convening.

(I added a poll for no reason too.)

Never fear! Susan shows up again in a later book!

And, it has been asked, she *will* return later in the series again.

When I first read "Storm Front", Susan wasn't one of my favorite people (neither was Morgan, for that matter), but as the series moves along and we learn more, the two started to grow on me. Susan is a fascinating character (as is Morgan).

However - I can tell you right now that I am 100% *against* any kind of Harry/Murphy hook-up. I'm a no-shipper and Harry/Murphy bugs the snot out of me on so many levels. Mostly b/c it's the 'easiest' one to see (but also b/c everyone else jumped on that ship and I have an aversion to following the majority *g*).

Ah, so at least there will be more Susan. I wonder if the relationship sticks between them or that's officially over. Yeah, the Murphy/Harry was an easy one to see, but I still like it. Plus now I spoke too soon and theres an Elaine angle possibly now too. At least for the future maybe since not now.

Since Murphy is human and Harry would out-live her, and not sure about Susan since shes only half-vampire. But Elaine is a wizard also and has the longevity. Damn Harry has a complicated love life.

I don't like either as his love interest. Elaine has seemed to move away from their relationship so I'd count her out.

I think (though this may be a bit too much) Michael's daughter will soon be at the point where she may become a love interest in a few years. Or perhaps he's too much of an 'uncle' figure, though I see some definite leanings in that direction. Could be a red herring though.

My guess is Harry will giving Murphy the sword that is on his mantle and she will be working for you-know-who. So, no hanky-panky for the two.

My reasons are: Multiple visions by Harry of Murphy as, "a shinning angel, sword at her side".
Murphy's career is being systematically destroyed.
Murphy is questioning her life choices and responsibilities.
Murphy is a martial artist who happens to use edged weapons.
When given the sword Harry was told, "You will know the person to give it too" rather than you will meet the person and know to give it to them.

Last edited:
Finished Summer Knight and picked up Death Masks. On the back it says Susan is in it and "has a new man in her life." Which I'm sure is deceptive to go with the story of whatever happens in the book. Though does make me wonder if their relationship is still open-ended at the end or not. Otherwise Harry just has a slew of women he'll never have. No Elaine, Murphy, Susan. I guess Jim Butcher doesn't want to add anyone permanent for his love life.

He sure is a depressing character...

Edit:
Nevermind...I seem to be in a spoiling mood for the Dresden books, read the last page. No Susan I guess. Harry should really make use of that gun he carries...

My guess is Harry will giving Murphy the sword that is on his mantle and she will be working for you-know-who. So, no hanky-panky for the two.

My reasons are: Multiple visions by Harry of Murphy as, "a shinning angel, sword at her side".
Murphy's career is being systematically destroyed.
Murphy is questioning her life choices and responsibilities.
Murphy is a martial artist who happens to use edged weapons.
When given the sword Harry was told, "You will know the person to give it too" rather than you will meet the person and know to give it to them.

There's been a TRUCKLOAD of speculation around this and no one's guessed right so far (well, not as far as Jim's letting anyone know, anyway). ;)

For the record: no, I have no idea who Harry's going to give the sword to.

However, I think it's reading a little too closely to say that the line means that Harry already knows the person in question. He might, but, then again, he very well might not.

Or - Harry might know the person already, but we haven't met the person yet.

The camp's really divided about this. Some say Murphy, some say Marcone, I've heard some say Thomas and I think Molly's even been thrown into the bucket. But - Jim's really good about being tight-lipped about it. *g*

I'm on Dead Beat now. Interesting stuff so far. Kind of gross that Murphy was going on vacation with Kincaid though. Oh well, not like Harry gets with her anyways...until Butcher gives her longevity! lol Though since Butcher likes to age the books one year inbetween the stories, it will be kind of gross to think of Murphy all old in later books at this rate. Unless he kills her off before then. But I don't think he'd do that, she's the always un-official love interest. I hate wait-and-see. But I guess that's why we buy the next damn book, on and on.

Nice sale at Borders for the books right now though, still need to get two more and then when the latest hardcover comes out.

I think I like my scenario better. Murphy's career is getting destroyed (not that I'm to that part yet) and the higher-ups don't like her anyways. So she either eventually gets fired or quits and Harry gives her the sword. Then make her have some angel blood or something (lol) for being able to live as long as a wizard. Then she can join Harry and work with him as a private detective with her sword. Thus them getting closer and together, etc.

Yeah, lots of time to bore people with my posts. What crap though that Harry thinks back about Murphy coming to tell him about her going on vacation and realizing she wanted him to tell her not to go.

Okay, if any mods want to kill me for triple posts, I understand.

I just finished Small Favor. Good as all the other books. Some things long thought about revealed. Some stuff about if Harry was ever going to get laid again may possibly come into question in the book as well. Going to have to wait longer on the Harry-Murphy relationship angle, but that’s not surprising to anyone. Of course that's assuming there ever will be one...Cryptic enough for those who haven’t read it yet?

Oh, my poll was so premature it's not even funny. But I knew that at the time. Wish I could edit it.

Mods can edit polls... however, to do so might be spoiler-ish. So, we'll have to wait a bit.

I'm going to set up a thread for discussion of Small Favor.

I have only read the first 3 books so i have avoided some of the post about 4th book and other books.

I must say i want to never see Harry with Murphy, i like them as friends and partners against the supernatural baddies Murphy can help with.

I liked Susan alot, she was very interesting,strong. I was sad to see what happened to her and how it crushed Harry after seeing him so happy with her.

P.S About the Murphy thing it doesnt matter if she ends up with Harry. Lets talk like what if about her since i havent read all the books yet.

Yes! More on the anti-Harry/Murphy front! Don't get me wrong, I love Murphy, but I think she and Harry should stay friends. Harry's a little short on friends - real, true, close friends, he needs as many as he can get and if he gets romantically involved with Murphy, that makes the 'friendship' thing awkward if they ever split up.

Harry's supposed to be a little miserable a lot of the time. It's the way Jim writes him. =)

Yeah it would become too awkard afterwards which would be extra pain for Harry since he needs her for his pay checks as consultant to the cops. If she was angry at him for breaking up,she would never call him for help :p

This makes think why he doesnt use magic to his gain for small things like food,health, it cant become too much dark side for small thing ?

Use magic how for food, etc? The problem with using magic for things is that it's an 'exchange' - you don't get something for nothing. If Harry expends his energy to *poof* a hamburger, assuming he gets the spell right, he's used even MORE energy to make that hamburger than had he jumped in the car and spent a couple dollars at the Burger King.

That hamburger making spell would be a little more costly to him than his 'flickum bickus' spell for lighting the candles.

AS it is now after the book Small Favors, I must agree with some of the points made almost a year earlier.

Yes, Murphy's career is going into the dumper. Harry's view of Karrin via his third eyesight was very interesting and is still a likely foreshadowing of her in relationship to her eventually taking a sword. I would consider her as taking Fidelias, the katana, and not Amoracchius the broadsword.

I think that she will eventually see that she can be cop of the supernatural and still fulfill her destiny. There is also that little attraction she has to the killer for hire who is somewhat demonic. Sorry, his name slipped what is left of my mind.

I do not believe for a heartbeat that either Elaine, Karrin, or Susan will be Harry's true love or To Blave as was said in the Princess Bride. :D

JB will get me for this and one of them will be. Just for me being so presumptious as attempting to read his mind.

It is interesting about people liking susan, I have to admit that her character just drives me nuts as it is. I guess if she changed a bit I would be alright with it... naw, probably not. She's not good for Harry, eats away at his soul... she doesn't seem to nourish it and he's got waaaaayyy to much guilt over her to ever make a really good, healthy relationship with her now. I like Murphy, but I also like her as a character so if she and Harry never got together I would be ok with that as long as she stays in the series. But Susan? Please, no... I could understand Harry shooting himself at that time. (probably going to get shot myself now :rolleyes:)

So I would be open to another interest and it is good to see some one else thinking about Molly as a possibility later on in the game. Wizards live a very long time. ;)

Susan is one of those women who seemed to believe that it could not happen to her because she is woman and she is invincible. She learned better. That always annoys me about feminists who think that women should be frontline soldiers. An idea I find to be totally repulsive.

Robert Anson Heinlein said it best: "Any society that does not put women and children first is doomed." Both the Russians and Israelis no longer allow women in front line combat.

The thread does say spoilers so if you haven't read the latest book then don't read the below.

I love spoilers, but I cannot read yours. :confused: As a rereader, I think that spoilers add to my enjoyment of the book. I can spend more time looking at other details. :)

Could you try again?