Janny Wurts: Are the Koriathain misguided, corrupted or evil [SPOILERS]

Check the "Initiate's Trial Status" thread, Dek. Janny put an excerpt in there, plus a couple of Chapter/sub-charpter headings in after I whined about seeing nothing for almost a month.

*Grim enters with be-tassled pillow, upon which rests the activated jewels and crown of now vacant S'Ellestrion*

"In recognition of services to the greater Wurtsian Community, and on behalf of Wurts' Four Riders, pleased be to accept these tokens of our gratitude."

*Delivers S'Ellestrion tokens of office to the moderators and administrators of The Chrons*

While we recognize that there is no special merit associated with an author having their own sub-fora, we nevertheless think it's pretty cool, and recognize also that it can be a thing of transient existence.

(Erm, if Janny creates a long-lost heir to the S'Ellestrion throne, we may have to take the crown and jewels back....:eek:)

Now, wouldn't THAT be an interesting plot development? I doubt it would happen (too much of a deus et machina), but, hey, in fantasy, anything can happen (finding his bones in the Red Desert and cloning his DNA???)

I have just stumbled across this line in The Ships of Merior:

Where once the Great Waystone had enabled her Senior Circle to track the Fellowship's intent,

Before the Uprising (when the Waystone was lost) the Paravians were still on the continent of Paravia. Hence I would have assumed that the role of the Fellowship would have been less active.

Anyone care to speculate what the Fellowship may have been up to (other than avoiding any breaches in the Compact) that required the Koriani Senior Circle to track their intent?

I think it was just that, Dek. The Koriani, seeking to increase their power, influence and reach, would probably have (for example...) constantly been trying to gain members from one of the royal lines, or at least trapping them into debts of obligation. When there were far more of the royal lines around, the F7 must have had their hands full preventing such incidents (the Paravians, it would seem, would have always been more concerned minding the lanes and checkreining the drakespawn, and would have left humans to deal with humans, no?).

If the Paravians were not constantly interacting with humanity, what need would there have been for the Clanborn to be able to withstand their presence.
Or the concovation between the High Kings, the Fellowship, and the representatives of the three paravian races.
The paravians would always have been doing more than just minding the lanes and checkreining the drakespawn.
Anyway, the Fellowships purpose was to defend the Paravian's from the drakespawn (or any other threat - including humanity).

Hmm, perhaps I should have been more specific. The lane minding and drakespawn checking were supposed to be examples, not the limit of their duties. I didn't mean to imply non-interraction, either; rather, when it comes to intervening in ISSUES that concern human to human behavior which did NOT directly involve Athera's mysteries, I've always had the impression that Paravians had to be asked (Jieret's captivity/torture and the spirit of the centaur, Arithon and the sunchild in the grove) to intervene in such instances. High Kings take an oath to preserve the same mysteries that the Paravians ward; it's logical that they'd be present to bear witness.

The Fellowship have an extremely wide interpretation of the compact when it comes to preventing harm to Paravians, driven by foresight, scrying the future impact of events, Dakar's prophecies and other things I'm not thinking about here. If you consider the fact that the Koriani have their own interests in mind, and that their interests do not coincide with the Paravians, it's also logical that the F7 would monitor and balk the witches' intentions where they conflict with their interpretation of the compact. Meddling with royal lines would seem to qualify as such a conflict. It's therefore again logical to expect the witches to scrutininze (as best they can, in the form of the Waystone/Senior Circle combination) the FY in return, neither wanting to be ignorant of the other's doings in their ongoing "chess match."

Just wanted to add my 2cents so to speak for the original thread question. The lower members of the Koranni order seem to be genuinly caring, they are perhaps misguided in not realising the higher machinations of their seniors however with the oath of complete obedience (a horrible entrance requirement!) it is sometimes diffucult to see what they could do even if they knew the extent of the seniors corruption.
Even the seniors are largely powerless to disobey any direct order from Morriel Prime, whilst i'm confident there are varying levels of knowledge and opinion amongst the seniors i would lable most of them as corrupt. Morriel is for me quite evil and likely as Sethvir said (or was it Asandir?) she is insane. She has clung to life too long and abused the power of the skyron, in Cartman's words "it has warped her fragile little mind".
The only hope i can see for change in the order is Elaira, she is walking a path that could lead her one of two main ways; either i foresee a complete removal of Elaira from the order and working instead like the fellowship with the power of name and permissions or she will take those concepts and somehow overthrow Morriel (or arithon will) and take charge, then we may see a return to the REAL reason for the order; compassion and caring for the less fortunate. Would love to comment on some of the more indepth speculation on this thread however since reading SF i have moved on to lots of other books and don't want to type anything totally misguided ! lol

Welcome to the thread, my dear Warden of Althain. We would love for you to add your comments to this thread. We have all read many other books since finishing SF, so you probably wouldn't be alone if you drift a bit.

I've always wondered what would happen with Elaira.

Does anyone think what good ol' Sethvir has said is a possibility? I know I'd like to see something along the lines of Morriel Prime being over thrown, that woman annoys me greatly!

I am probably not as far as everyone else in the series, so something may have happened already, but I like to think that could be a possibility:D

Ross,
May I ask where you are up to in the series?
I would expect that you have a lot to look forward to in regards to the development of Elaira.
And also a few twists in regards to old Morriel Prime.
Happy reading.

Ross,
May I ask where you are up to in the series?
I would expect that you have a lot to look forward to in regards to the development of Elaira.
And also a few twists in regards to old Morriel Prime.
Happy reading.

Hi dekket.

I'm only on the last chapter of Fugitive Prince, I'm actually very surprised it's taken me this long to finish this book. The pace I'm reading at has slowed drastically since my position with work (not having a job any more and looking for one to be more specific:p) has change.

I thought Elaira would have been a lot more involved in this book but you rarely hear anything from her. In fact, I can't quite remember what happened with her if she did appear in Fugitive Prince.

I've decided that after I've finished playing football tonight (soccer to some of you?) I'm going to finish the book:D

Morriel Prime has lost it from what I can figure out.

I also think that if Lirenda could learn the truth of Arithon and Lysear then I don't think she would show as much blind obedience towards the Morriel Prime. I'm hoping something interesting happens with her.

What can I say, but "read on", Ross. And as you've probably come to realize, prepare to be turned upside down by our favorite TaleSpinner....

I also think that if Lirenda could learn the truth of Arithon and Lysear then I don't think she would show as much blind obedience towards the Morriel Prime. I'm hoping something interesting happens with her.

You...have...no...idea!!! And that goes for all the characters, not just Lirenda.

You...have...no...idea!!! And that goes for all the characters, not just Lirenda.

You remind me of a young American teenage girl when I read that haha:D. Someone on the Paris Hilton level of speech, If you get my meaning:p

Sounds like Janny has me in for a treat.

You remind me of a young American teenage girl when I read that haha:D. Someone on the Paris Hilton level of speech, If you get my meaning:p

Sounds like Janny has me in for a treat.

PARIS HILTON!?! That's it. No more posting for me for a while. Something has gone horribly, horribly wrong, and I must reevaluate everything. In the words of Daffy Duck..."Easy stomach..."

Ross, how could you, after all Grimward and I have done to lead you into the wonderful Worlds of Wurts?

Seriously, I see Paris Hilton, or rather her fame (based on her being rich, with no other discernable talent), as being the embodiment of much of what is wrong with Western society. I actually feel quite sorry for her.

Anyway, back on topic, I agree with the notion that the younger Koriathain are likely more innocent, but the Seniors also are sworn to absolute obedience. Their free will was taken the moment they swore their oath. Given Elaira's instransigence with the Order, I suspect that the upcoming novel's title, Initiate's Trial, refers specifically to her. Perhaps she is caught by the Koriathain and put on trial? Or some other trial awaits her? I do agree that should she win out, and assume control of the Order somehow, that it might change. However, I don't see her ever wanting to do that. She wants Arithon. Period.

PARIS HILTON!?! That's it. No more posting for me for a while. Something has gone horribly, horribly wrong, and I must reevaluate everything. In the words of Daffy Duck..."Easy stomach..."

Ross, how could you, after all Grimward and I have done to lead you into the wonderful Worlds of Wurts?

Seriously, I see Paris Hilton, or rather her fame (based on her being rich, with no other discernable talent), as being the embodiment of much of what is wrong with Western society. I actually feel quite sorry for her.

Anyway, back on topic, I agree with the notion that the younger Koriathain are likely more innocent, but the Seniors also are sworn to absolute obedience. Their free will was taken the moment they swore their oath. Given Elaira's instransigence with the Order, I suspect that the upcoming novel's title, Initiate's Trial, refers specifically to her. Perhaps she is caught by the Koriathain and put on trial? Or some other trial awaits her? I do agree that should she win out, and assume control of the Order somehow, that it might change. However, I don't see her ever wanting to do that. She wants Arithon. Period.

I apologise, my friend!:D

Is there free will actually taken or is it taken by choice? Meaning they could dis-obey if they wished.

*Doubles over, and has to be rushed to the hospital for mirth-based hypoanoxia. With as much sincerity as he can muster as he's being ushered into the ambulance....*

Poor Clanny....