5 year plan

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Brian Turner, Jan 29, 2005.

Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

Internet TV is coming. The home PC and TV will eventually merge and become one. The internet will become a medium for film media transmission.

This is a future where the humble will become empowered to create their own programs.

However, I'm declaring my intention now - that within 5 years time, I want the chronicles network to have it's own internet TV channel.

The difficulties mean that to even attempt this is going to require a multi-step approach, with a focus on low-budget productions to start.

There are costs and complexities involved in making this a reality - internet hardware issues, not to mention the costs of setting up a media company.

However, I firmly believe that there is a way to produce good science fiction and fantasy story-telling on a relatively low budget.

I cannot say I can do this thing - merely that it is my intention to plan for this as best I can, and look at ways to make it a practical reality.

All too often modern media suffers from lack of artistic credibility, with storytelling pitched at the lowest denominator. And where shows dare to be different, rating targets have killed more of them than I can keep up with.

The chronicles network would simply seek to produce interesting stories, that can dare to be different. The challenge is simply seeing what limits we can break.

So I now have 5 years to lay down the ground work for this project.

Just something I've been thinking about a lot recently... :)
    angrybuddhist

angrybuddhist MadMonk

It's an ambitious plan, but seeing how well you are doing with this site, I think it's well within your reach. :)
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

Ambitious, forward-looking.....but attainable - given the right set of circumstances, determination and technology.

I do believe it is important to have a strategy (that way you know exactly where you are headed).
    All I can say is good luck :)
    Lacedaemonian

Lacedaemonian A Plume of Smoke

Huge ambition mate. Hope we can support this idea if it ever comes into fruition.
    Brian Turner

It is a big project, and definitely will require very limited goals. I'm not thinking in terms of 24/7 broadcasting, as much as simply airing a small number of shows on a regular basis. If I can get just one low-budget weekly series out then it's a start.
    Princess Ivy

Princess Ivy Damsel in this dress

Or they have been changed to fit the supposed likes and dislikes of the lowest common demominator. Note: Enterprise!
    well you have a board full of talent here, why not make it a board challenge, to come up with ideas? For something completely different. There is a huge pool of untapped diversity just sitting here begging to be uses.

I will note, i'm not fishing for a job. I can't do sci-fi and my own attempts at fantasy are just not worth mentioning.:eek:
    Brian Turner

I'm sure it would definitely be a good idea to tap into the creavity here - and there will definitely be room for practical suggestions. :)

The really big challenges are technical, though - I figure I'll need to develop some kind of partnerships with the media departments of technical colleges. I plan to be living in Stirlingshire later this year, which will put me on the doorstep of both Edinburgh and Glasgow, so I'll see what I can develop there.
    dwndrgn

dwndrgn Fierce Vowelless One Staff Member

Wonderful ambition! I know you've got the determination, hopefully the right things happen for you as well. Best of luck!
    Circus Cranium

Circus Cranium New Member

God, to be loaded with cash, huh? I've always wanted to put together a program, similar to 'Tales from the Crypt' or Twilight Zone, where you get 4 stories or so per episode, and run them as TV shorts.
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

Machinima is a rapidly evolving and maturing genre and could be a point of springboard for your ambitions. Possibly setting up a collaboration between folk with the technical ability and imaginitive scriptwriters could be productive. The technical side is choosing what engine and when to go with the technology(not only that - original ideas won't have licensing or copyright problems)....just a suggestion :)

PS. you must visit Stirling Castle - the BBC made Colditz there in the 70s....very impressive place.
    Lacedaemonian

Lacedaemonian A Plume of Smoke

Stirling Castle, is that where William Wallace's sword resides? :)
    Sirathiel

Sirathiel Spy with looks and guts

You're clearly a man with goals, Brian. I hope this project works out for you. I'll sure stay around to see what becomes of it. :)
    Brian Turner

Heh, if that were the case, I'd already have started. :)

What I'm doing is looking ahead to where the internet will be in 5 years time. I think a lot of people will be using the internet for home broadcasting in 2010 - even if nothing else but in the form of video-blogs.

The internet industry has been gearing towards internet broadcasting for some time, but it's recently becoming more and more viable - there's small coverage of the development here:

http://www.platinax.co.uk/news/archives/internet_tv/index.html

Point is, I want to prepare for that inevitability. Rather than fritter the opportunitiy on blogcasting, I want to look at the possibilities of using internet broadcasting for science-fiction and fantasy based productions.

I figure the preparations begin now - with an awareness of the situation, so that it's easier to plan for the future, and grasp any passing opportunities.

I can only hope that if this can become a reality, that we would be able to offer something of real long-term interest.

It would be great to also promote various new talents, too, but the absolute first concern is to figure out the practical boundaries, and then work within them.
    Brian Turner

Check out the homepage, check out the homepage!!

Very amateur start, and frankly I should have done this last year but for work - however, I could see internet TV would become big, YouTube developed into something massive after, and chronicles now - finally - has the beginnings of its own TV station!! :D

No apologies for the crap recording - the most important step was just to get something online.
    The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

Congratulations.

And when (if!) BT ever manages to connect me to broadband, I might be able to enjoy the televised show!

J
    Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Goblin Princess Staff Member

Awesome, Brian! (And quite nice to actually hear your voice after all these years.)

But um, could you turn up the volume a little bit more next time -- for the sake of the aged and those of us on the other side of the Atlantic? (Not to mention those of us who fall into both categories.)
    sanityassassin

sanityassassin he's the madcap pusher

Well done Brian good job, but I do agree with Teresa he volume was a little on the low side
    PhoenixZ

PhoenixZ New Member

Brian, I tried the link, but unfortunately this is what I got:

Not Found, Error 404
    The page you are looking for no longer exists. :(

I think it's a great idea too. What entered my mind when you said "the lowest common denominator" was advertising. I'm guessing that's how you keep this site running now (other than some trusted and generous "mods").

That is always the problem with production of any kind... financial backing.
    I'm an engineer and my wife is a physical therapist. I asked her if she ever had problems with the medical equipment. She said "Definitely, all the time." I asked if she blames it on the people who built the stuff, and she said yeah sort of. She often says stuff like, "Cheap people." I said well, us engineers feel the same way. We could design something that was built to run smoothly, be easy to use and run for 50 years without maintenance, but our bosses shoot down every idea like that we have because it's too expensive. You may already know this but that's why the space shuttle challenger blew up. They found a memo sent by an engineer to management about the operating temperature of the O-rings on the fuel cylinders, but did they listen? No. And 7 people died as the result. This world is far too much in a hurry, and far too money-centric. That's my 2 cents. ;)

PhoenixZ.
    Brian Turner

Will try harder on the volume next time. :)

As before, just getting something up for me was the challenge, but will try harder next time. :)

PhoenixZ - strange you got a 404 - it's the frontpage of chronicles??
    GOLLUM

GOLLUM Moderator Staff Member

Yes a star is certainly born but sadly lip reading isn't one of my better known fortes...;)

Actually I had my volume set to max and still could hardly hear you. Were you not linked to a microphone??