WWE/ECW/WCW/TNA Wrestling

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Sire Of Dragons, Feb 24, 2008.

Sire Of Dragons

Sire Of Dragons New Member

Well I didn't really know anywhere else but this forum to start a thread like this. Wresting does have a semblance of fantasy in the lot of its theme.

I hope there are some other wrestling fans out here.

If so I thought I would start with mentioning that of course Mysterio was going to lose to Edge. I mean they weren't really going to put him against the Undertaker, and he has an old beef with Edge to begin with. Once they get Edge out of the way the other rivalries can get back under way.

And with John Cena's return under way...I have always loved triple threat matches. I understand why alot of people don't like them for the belt, but I think its pretty cool.

Anyway we have a starting point. You might add in who your favorite wrestler is. This thread is for any and all wrestlers from any organization.

My favorite used to be The Rock. Now I have a list that would take a whole thead :D
    Lucien21

Lucien21 New Member

Can't say i've ever been a fan.

It's too fake.
    Sire Of Dragons

Thats why it called entertainment. And a lot more of it real that people think. For starters do you think they pretend to put their bodies on the line?

And believe it or not some things are real and unplanned.

If you want reality watch the live war broadcasts. They still won't show you everything.

Maybe you forgot what SFF stands for :cool:
    littlemissattitude

littlemissattitude Super Moderator

My fake sport of preference is Roller Derby, thanks.

But I do acknowledge that WWE is very popular. Whenever they come to town, they do their thing in the arena two blocks from my apartment. They were just there the other night and I forgot and got in that mess of traffic as everyone was arriving. I don't think there was even that many people there when the Stones played the arena.

And, just for the record, what they do isn't strictly wrestling...it's rasslin'. It's a fine distinction, but an important one nonetheless, one that I learned as a very young girl when we would visit my Granddaddy and he would go off to see the rasslin' matches. :p;)
    Sire Of Dragons

Well the word wrestling is the definition of rasslin so it makes little difference I guess.

But as I was saying its not all as fake as everyone believes. Alot of the hitting and contact is very real. Some of the rivalries are not scripted, but then they just roll with 'em when they come up.

At No Way Out the boxer Mayweather confronted The Big Show and those punches were real and that whole scene was not planned or expected. Big Show really got his nose broken.

That whole thing is why the commentators weren't speaking, and Shane McMahon stepped up to deal with it, and they set up the public apology from both of them the next night.

I can recall a few other instances when everything was very real and not set up for the sake of entertainment, but I'm too tired to type it all right now.
    Lucien21

Lucien21 New Member

Nothing wrong with entertainment. WWF etc ....It just ain't my thing.

I just prefer my entertainment with better scripts and acting.

Bring back Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. Now, that was wrestling.
    steve12553

steve12553 The Enigma of Steel

Actually. there is a pretty fair genre tie-in to "profesional wrestling". Jesse "the Body" Ventura had a significant roll in Predator. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper starred in the John Carpernter thriller They Live. "The Rock" (I forget his real name) was in the sequel to The Mummy and the spinnoff The Scorpion King. Although the all time best was probably the late Andre "the Giant" who played the Sasquach in several episodes of the Six Million Dollar Man before ending up in the Princess Bride.
    Sire Of Dragons

I must admit I don't like half of what I see. Alot of it I just sit thru. Some of the acting is good to watch.

And Stevie you left out John Cena in The Marine and Steve Austin in Condemned. Kane did See No Evil , but I never watched that. I'm sure there is quite a few more.

Honestly The Rock did a few good movies. I like Scorpion King and The Rundown and the Gridiron Gang, but he is not an actor. He is a wrestler with the perfect acting personality for capturing the fans. I liked him as a good or bad character in wrestling.
    ShrubChucker

ShrubChucker Wait, wait......what?

I do not like wrestling at all really. But I have to say we had Chuck Polumbo and Layla El downstairs last week taking pics and signing autographs with the employees here. She was pretty smokin, wouldn't mind going a few rounds with her.
    Sire Of Dragons

Well its a lot like football fans.You've been a strong faithful follower of a team for so long that no matter how bad they get you stay with 'em.

Even tho a lot of it is really stupid anymore, I still miss it when I don't get to see it.

(I've been a Patriots follower for a long time. Next season I'm gonna be a Bills fan ... no disappointments that way.) :D
    Adasunshine

Adasunshine Everything in Moderation

Oh I love a bit of WWE but for all the wrong reasons... it's just so funny, the wrestlers really ham it up and I love that...

A few of my favourites are Vince MacMahon himself (for the acting alone)
    HHH (The Game)
    The Undertaker (obnov)
    The Rock
    Stone Cold Steve Austin
    Booker T is also good value

I admire their athleticism and the effort they put into what they do and LMA's right, they entertain virtually millions of people across the globe, I know that getting tickets in the UK is just near impossible unless you know someone who knows someone...

It's just good fun!

xx
    Sire Of Dragons

Ha if you think McMahon is acting you should see him in reality.He is one evil person. :cool:
    JamesMMcCann

JamesMMcCann New Member

Can I ask why some feel the need to post purely to say that they don't like wrestling or that it's fake?

It seems pretty stupid to me that someone would make the argument that it can't be any good because it's not real considering what the main topic of this entire website is.
    misscousins

misscousins New Member

My grandad was part of a small London wrestling weekend show in the mid 40s before going onto boxing, it was professional/entertainment, but the injuries are real (if they aren't included in a particular storyline). I was also friends with a stable of wrestlers from Derby a couple of years ago, the boy was only 21 and retired as a wrestler due to serious knee injuries whilst performing.

Whether or not the intention of the show is merely entertainment and originally fake, the bodies are real live people, not robots and they do get battered and bruised and mistakes do happen, and injuries too. It does get me a little frustrated when people don't take it seriously, gladiators, total wipe-out are also real, the injuries in those shows are just as real as professional wrestling!
    Anyone who doesn't think it's partly real, really has no experience in sport or play fighting.
    Cayal

Cayal The Immortal Prince

Then why is it in the sport section?
    Omphalos

Omphalos הדרךקפיצת

Don't forget that WWE is a cornerstone of the "Syfy" Network.
    JustPassingThrough

JustPassingThrough New Member

Okay. I wondered if there was a thread in this forum. I wasn't sure because I didn't know if the English liked their wrestling as much as us Yanks, but I thought just maybe, and sure enough here is a thread! Of course it is O.L.D.!

So, I am going to pull it out, blow the dust off, rub it with a fine cheese cloth and see if anything comes of it.
    hodson

hodson New Member

I am a Big lover of the WWE.They are the best in the sports Entertainment.Although the TNA is growing rapidly but still no match with the class of WWE.UFC and MMA are also talking major steps too...
    buy Youtube views