World's leading RTS company muses on AGoT: The PC Strategy Game

Werthead

Lemming of Discord
Apparently, Relic are thinking about it. The rights haven't been bought but Josh Mosqueira - lead developer of Company of Heroes, the most critically-acclaimed RTS in history - has been coming up with ideas.

Creative Assembly would probably be a better fit, but they don't do licensed products. Relic - who also created The Homeworld Trilogy and the Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War series - are certainly the next best company to do it. Whether this turns into an forward-moving project or was simply one guy thinking out loud remains to be seen, but a cool prospect anyway.

Great find, Wert.

I am between a connoisseur and a compulsive consumer of RTS games... especially fantasy and medieval history.

Creative Assembly started their awesome line of strategy games with Shogun: Total War. Although the game is not licensed under James Clavell's novel Shogun, it dovetails nicely. I imagine CA could do a spectacular ASOIAF strategic conquest game.

Relic has put out a couple of very high quality games, but I'd like to see more strategic conquest and less straight RTS for ASOIAF. Josh Mosqueira, in Wert's link, had a great quote about ASOAIF... 'It's like fantasy, but without the sucky parts of fantasy.' If he does buy the rights to ASOIAF, then I'd consider that a plus... having a real fan doing the game would be a tremendous step to developing a game with the right feel and mechanics.

Ironically, I just bought Medieval Toatal War 2 and its expansion and was thinking about how it would be cool if they had ASoIaF game.

A mod based on the books for Medieval is underway at the Westeros forum, but it's slow going. No lack of people willing to do research or the easy programming stuff (putting in character names, faciton summaries etc) but very few able or willing to do any of the graphics work that needs doing :( A shame as ASoIaF suits Total War down to the ground.

CS, all the Total War games have been well supplied with fan mods, except Shogun. There was a ton of work done for a Westeros based mod on the Rome engine, but it was shelved for the Med 2 version. I will be beyond ecstatic the day an ASOIAF mod is playable. You guys will be getting constant battle and strategic reports from me.

My husband and I are Heroes of Might magic fans (yes, we're dorks), but I think that the Total War format would work better for ASOIAF. I've got Rome total war, and I love the map.

Also, I have no idea what Boaz is talking about. What are mods? I guess I'm not very deep into the cult.

Deanna - mods are modifications to the original game made by fans of the game (unofficial). though these days some games do have official mods, the majority are made by the fan base. You download and install them and then they run - usually from either thier own exe or from a mod manager within the game (many First person shooters have this feature).
Whilst I have seen and am impressed by the Rome series type games I have yet to own one, though a really good ASOIAF mod would definatly make me start raiding bargin bins and amazon for a copy!
An official game though would be great for the series, and Relic are one of the better produces (much much better than EA - were EA to start making a game I would play, but I would be sad, for it would be flawed and never live up to the gradure of what it could have been [/EArant])

I drool at the simple prospect of it being made. Just don't be near me when its actually released :D

World of Ice and Firecraft imo :x
Very droll, lol.

For those of you wanting to get into the Total War series, I'd suggest playing them in order of their release dates... Shogun, Medieval, Rome, Medieval 2, and Empire. Empire has not yet been released.

The strategic maps for Shogun and Medieval are area based, i.e. if your armies occupy an area, then you have control over building and troop production... other factions cannot enter without declaring war on you... in essence, you are like Stannis watching Davos move troops around on the painted table. In contrast, the strategic maps for Rome and Medieval 2 are not region based... your armies move where they will according to their movement points... you can control a region, but enemies can still pass through... the map is open.

Also the economics, the production trees, movement, diplomacy, naval warfare, defensive capabilities, available units, and victory conditions on the strategic map have improved throughout the series.

In addition to being a strategic game, Total War allows you to fight all military engagements on a real time battlefield. Or you can just do battles without loading a whole campaign. This is a ton of fun. The graphics and interface have improved also throughout the series.

It's easier to move forward and enjoy the new addtions in the series than to go backwards and be deprived of certain features.

Just my two cents.