The Worst Way To Defeat An Enemy

How do you become a military advisor to an evil empire anyway?

Graduates of the Evil Hegemony Academy get all the plum positions, despite all the rot of favoritism, nepotism, and overblown arrogance merely posing as true evil.

Evil Hegemony Academy? Damn, I blew them out in favour of Strathclyde University 30-odd years ago. If only I'd known...

The ending to Flight of Dragons was brilliant. Original, surprising, a natural and convincing resolution from the characters and plot. The OP is deluded on this point.

Let's have a go at a real sacred cow: LOTR! They threw his jewellery away! Ooooooh! So convincing!

I just watched this movie Flight Of The Dragons.

I was half enjoying until it came to the defeat of Ommadon. That has to be the most retarded way to defeat an enemy I ever saw. I understood the reasoning. It was the method of how it was carried out. After that I was just disappointed about the ending.

What is the worst method you have ever seen used to destroy the bad guy in a fantasy or sci-fi film? Was it the special effects or just poor imagination?

How would you have done it?
Try reading the book, "The Dragon and the George" by Gordon R. Dickson

This is a title that i've got to read. :D
My heroine is also a retired air force pilot with a cybernetic hand, and has a cable-access cooking show; I didn't want to alienate any of my potential audience. (I thought about giving her Tourette's, but that just jeopardizes the PG-13 rating when we talk movie rights.)

As to the point of the thread, as much as I resented the computer-virus premise of Independence Day, I have to agree with Ice Fyre. Teddy Bears with stone-age technology defeat the Empire's Storm Troopers. (sigh) The Ewoks are the reason I keep getting arrested for throwing rocks at George Lucas' house. I'm pretty much on a first-name basis with most of the cops in Malibu.

With a premis for a book like that? I'm not surprised. LOL

I'd have to say any time when Kirk, despite having a vast array of technological terrors at his whim, resorts to pugilism in order to subdue a villan.*

And why do asterisks keep appearing after my posts??

If the Empire was so evil why didn't they enslave or just exterminate the Ewoks in the first place? If nothing else they would have made good target practice for bored troopers...

Then again I'd just shoot any captured 'hero' out of hand and forget using them as bait in a cunning plan.

The empire is only misunderstood.

I wasn't huge fan of 300, it was ok but way over hyped imo. One of the scenes that bugged me was when they built this huge wall of corpses (ok defense from arrows, all good so far) and then they waited until ONE guy was standing in front of it... one!... and pushed the wall on top of him. Then they climb over the corpses to fight the enemy that is still standing on nice solid ground? Maybe not worthy of worst ever and I know it's not meant to be realistic but tactically that's gotta be questionable.

I don't think the Spartans in 300 were that big on tactics, to be honest.

Since the topic is up and I was curious, even if it's about my story and not a film. Would it be ridiculous if a hero used music art and sports to defeat the enemy?

Sports - javelin would work well. They do stick in people - there was a judge at the Olympics the other year who was stuck with one.

Music turns up a fair bit in fantasy books - there's Alan Dean Foster's guitar playing hero, Tanya Huff's Sing the Four Quarters series and several more I can't quite bring the author to mind well enough on to look them up.

Celtic bards were supposed to use sarcastic ballads and lampoon to make someone shrivel up and feel like dying. There was a big fashion for smart-arse verse at the court of Charles II. Such as the fake epitaph for the King
"Here lies our Soveriegn Lord the King,
Whose word no man relies on
Who never said a foolish thing
Or ever did a wise one"

But seriously, all the singing in fantasy is based in magic. OK in a book, but linking to the origin of the thread, it probably wouldn't work too well on a film. Unless of course you sang Teddy Bear's picnic and summoned the Ewoks.

Back